or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3820  

post #57286 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJain View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

In the last few minutes months, I've learned a lot about shoes here. And I'm starting to notice how few people actually think about their shoes.
I now notice that the vast majority of men are wearing shoes that don't match (black shoes with khakis, for example) or are wearing shoes that are terribly scuffed and rough looking.
It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

I went to a daddy daughter dance last night at my 5 year old daughters school. The invite said Formal Wear, I could not believe how many dads showed up in navy blazer with gold buttons, khaki pants and black and brown loafers. Some with a tie but the majority had no tie. I don't typically think of myself as that much of a style maven but I gotta say it was pathetic and simply could not believe it.

I was one of maybe 3 dads I saw that had on lace up shoes!

 

Keep your standards up . . . your daughter will learn from you how men should dress and someday she'll pass her knowledge (and expectations) on to others.

post #57287 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post

Entering the maze of sutble differences between the various Allen Edmonds lasts is always a bit of a fool's game from this side of the Atlantic, but I'm toying with the idea of a pair of Banchory longwings I've spotted for sale.

Made on the 234 last, which AE claim is quite a close relation to the 97.
So, if I'm an 8.5D with my MacNeils, should I be safe buying these shoes in the same size?
I also wear 8.5D in my 2 pairs of Sheltons.

They appear to be unlined, like the Neumok. Would this affect the sizing?

 

I own both the Banchory and the MacNeil (10.5 3E). I'd say the Banchory is much tighter across the instep and overall snugger, but for myself, means this is a much better fit. Mind that the leather on the Banchory is very soft and stretches easily. It's one of my most comfortable shoes given that there is little resistance from the softness and unstructured nature of the upper, with much of the support and structure of the shoe coming from the sole.

post #57288 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

That's one nice looking boot... ;-)

It most certainly is! biggrin.gif
post #57289 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJain View Post


I went to a daddy daughter dance last night at my 5 year old daughters school. The invite said Formal Wear, I could not believe how many dads showed up in navy blazer with gold buttons, khaki pants and black and brown loafers. Some with a tie but the majority had no tie. I don't typically think of myself as that much of a style maven but I gotta say it was pathetic and simply could not believe it.

I was one of maybe 3 dads I saw that had on lace up shoes!

 

Honestly, the other fathers are dressing better than I'd expect in this case. Not that they shouldn't dress better, but I've seen so much worse. Most men just don't know. Often, those that are not ignorant of dress codes, style, and have the money will do a cost-benefit analysis to decide it isn't worth paying money to dress "right" if most everyone else is ignorant. I often dress appropriate to an invitation and rarely seem overdressed, but nobody is offended by those wearing slacks and blazers (those wearing jeans usually get a few stares, on the other hand).

 

I was thinking about this just the other day. I recently showed up to a luncheon where I was one of the few people *not* wearing a suit. Should I have? Maybe, but did it really matter? I had no regrets by skipping the suit and choosing a blazer. Who was more a fool, me (not a banker), or the 200 others (mostly bankers) wearing the same dark suit at noon? I know it's far from your original thesis, but following the uniform is less important than looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself well -- in my case, I struck up more conversation by looking dapper, but different, than I suspect I would have otherwise.

 

*shrug*

post #57290 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

Honestly, the other fathers are dressing better than I'd expect in this case. Not that they shouldn't dress better, but I've seen so much worse. Most men just don't know. Often, those that are not ignorant of dress codes, style, and have the money will do a cost-benefit analysis to decide it isn't worth paying money to dress "right" if most everyone else is ignorant. I often dress appropriate to an invitation and rarely seem overdressed, but nobody is offended by those wearing slacks and blazers (those wearing jeans usually get a few stares, on the other hand).

I was thinking about this just the other day. I recently showed up to a luncheon where I was one of the few people *not* wearing a suit. Should I have? Maybe, but did it really matter? I had no regrets by skipping the suit and choosing a blazer. Who was more a fool, me (not a banker), or the 200 others (mostly bankers) wearing the same dark suit at noon? I know it's far from your original thesis, but following the uniform is less important than looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself well -- in my case, I struck up more conversation by looking dapper, but different, than I suspect I would have otherwise.

*shrug*

I agree with this...if theres one thing ive learned from this thread, its that: although ive learned a great deal about style and how to apply it to my own style direction, and which styles i prefer over others, the underlying constant seems to be that very, very, very few people outside of this forum seem to give a shit about the style rules at all; that is, if they even know they exist in the first place...this has led me down my own path of discovery and subsequent creativity upon realizing that although i have a great deal more knowledge about style now, life isnt about coordinating every piece of clothing you have according to its color, fit and function, everytime you walk out of the door. And that ultimately no one today gives a shit about the rules as long as theyre comfortable, and look presentable and arent harming anyone.

However i am much more confident now in knowing that if i did have to follow some sacred style bible, i do now have the knowldge to do so...but as it stands, for now, im just happy that i can conscientiously make the executive decision to wear what i like and wear what makes me feel good.
post #57291 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

Honestly, the other fathers are dressing better than I'd expect in this case. Not that they shouldn't dress better, but I've seen so much worse. Most men just don't know. Often, those that are not ignorant of dress codes, style, and have the money will do a cost-benefit analysis to decide it isn't worth paying money to dress "right" if most everyone else is ignorant. I often dress appropriate to an invitation and rarely seem overdressed, but nobody is offended by those wearing slacks and blazers (those wearing jeans usually get a few stares, on the other hand).

I was thinking about this just the other day. I recently showed up to a luncheon where I was one of the few people *not* wearing a suit. Should I have? Maybe, but did it really matter? I had no regrets by skipping the suit and choosing a blazer. Who was more a fool, me (not a banker), or the 200 others (mostly bankers) wearing the same dark suit at noon? I know it's far from your original thesis, but following the uniform is less important than looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself well -- in my case, I struck up more conversation by looking dapper, but different, than I suspect I would have otherwise.

*shrug*

The invite said "No Jeans" so they had to wear at least slacks or dress pants or they could not get in...it probably should have said no khakis too

Remember the invite said Formal Wear. That is what shocked me, as I said I am far from the most stylish person I knowl but doesn't everyone assume that means a tie? And NOT khakis?
post #57292 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post

I agree with this...if theres one thing ive learned from this thread, its that: although ive learned a great deal about style and how to apply it to my own style direction, and which styles i prefer over others, the underlying constant seems to be that very, very, very few people outside of this forum seem to give a shit about the style rules at all; that is, if they even know they exist in the first place...this has led me down my own path of discovery and subsequent creativity upon realizing that although i have a great deal more knowledge about style now, life isnt about coordinating every piece of clothing you have according to its color, fit and function, everytime you walk out of the door. And that ultimately no one today gives a shit about the rules as long as theyre comfortable, and look presentable and arent harming anyone.

However i am much more confident now in knowing that if i did have to follow some sacred style bible, i do now have the knowldge to do so...but as it stands, for now, im just happy that i can conscientiously make the executive decision to wear what i like and wear what makes me feel good.

Great post. Rules are mean't to be broken. Just imagine if everyone dressed following the rules, ie wearing a grey suit with black shoes. I like to dress with some color and only outside this forum people will actually say you can't wear walnut strands with a navy suit.

PS, when do new styles come out from AE?
post #57293 of 70737
I just picked up a pair of brown Oak Streets in Jeffersonville, using the 20% discount from the outlet mall. These are awesome shoes.
Yes, there is a 20% discount running right now with the coupon.
post #57294 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I just picked up a pair of brown Oak Streets in Jeffersonville, using the 20% discount from the outlet mall. These are awesome shoes.
Yes, there is a 20% discount running right now with the coupon.

I believe it's only current models and not closeouts correct?
post #57295 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

I believe it's only current models and not closeouts correct?
Yes, the discount only applies to current models.
post #57296 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post


Yes, the discount only applies to current models.

Also believe that's a Tanger coupon, not an AE coupon, so it only applies to AE outlet/shoebank stores attached to Tanger Outlets.

post #57297 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
 

Also believe that's a Tanger coupon, not an AE coupon, so it only applies to AE outlet/shoebank stores attached to Tanger Outlets.


Yes, this one was Jeffersonville specific. Not sure if it will at others that are part of the Tanger system.

post #57298 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJain View Post



Remember the invite said Formal Wear. That is what shocked me, as I said I am far from the most stylish person I knowl but doesn't everyone assume that means a tie? And NOT khakis?

 

Technically, "Formal Wear" would indicate white tie/ tails, while semi-formal would dictate black tie. In the modern world however, few people know this and "formal wear" is used to tell people not to wear Crocs and a Big Johnson t-shirt with their cargo shorts. It usually doesnt work though...

post #57299 of 70737

badlands now after some saphir  renovateur.

 

 

post #57300 of 70737
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

Walnut McAllisters today, my first pair of AE bought about I think maybe two years or so ago. I don't wear them nearly enough. I may experiment with some toe burnishing in the future on them.







Looking good man.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...