or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3812  

post #57166 of 70737
Thanks Kahuna75, those Morgans are sharp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Magat View Post



I have a pair of walnut shell Dalton boots that I bought from bkotsko here on SF, which were a nice shade of brown (darker than I expected, but I prefer them over my calf Daltons that i'm selling), I'll have to take a side by side photo once the brown shell Strands come in.  So, I guess it worked out where the different shades give me more variety in my shell collection.

The Strand is by far my favorite AE shoe though, and they look extremely nice in walnut shell so great find by you and your SA!

Mine as well. I have three pairs of Strand - brown and walnut shell, and bourbon calf.




I was initially worried that the two shells would be similar enough to be redundant, and for some it probably would be, but in person the brown is a lot darker than even my seemingly dark walnut pair. I have seen photos of walnut shell that look a lot lighter than mine, but have also read of AE's trouble with consistency with the color so I just chalk mine up to being on the darker side of walnut.

What cracks me up is how similar the bourbon and walnut look in photos, especially in a well-lit room with bounced flash, but in reality they look completely different due to the (obvious) leather difference.




I am very jealous of your walnut shell Daltons. I love the boot and finding a pair to match my Strands would be a real coup.
post #57167 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by garland View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

 

I have seen the Whiskey color offered in this shoe but have never seen it in person..how is this finish accomplished? it does not look burnished, is it another finishing treatment? I think they look amazing...geez - I would kill to have that finish on a boot...I guess I could practice on an old walnut pair but the dark areas look to have been done before assembly... @garland any idea?

 

@CMT1 those are ridiculous...congrats

 

@Nestea92  those look really good...if I didn't have a few pairs of lugged soled shoes(and more on the way) would totally grab a pair

 

It looks like a "brush off" technique. Same thing that was used on the Morgan wingtips from last (2013) winter. I'm not exactly sure how its achieved, but i do believe it involves removing pigment with a burnishing wheel and the addition of some kind of chemical. Similar to what is done on the odenwald and strandmok. I'm not sure but I do think that its a corrected grain leather as well. I could be wrong on that part though. 

 

The Morgan was corrected grain (or as AE likes to call it "polished cobbler").  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who has a pair of AEs in that "leather", but . . . yuck.

 

Edit:  Just saw @Kahuna75's post.  Sorry, brah. 

post #57168 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

 

I mean the Alden thread is basically about celebrating 50 shades of brown. 

 

Olive shoes/Brown pants/olive shirt is a killer combo

 



Ha, hopefully I'll have something to combat that theory shortly smile.gif
post #57169 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by garland View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

 


I have seen the Whiskey color offered in this shoe but have never seen it in person..how is this finish accomplished? it does not look burnished, is it another finishing treatment? I think they look amazing...geez - I would kill to have that finish on a boot...I guess I could practice on an old walnut pair but the dark areas look to have been done before assembly... @garland
 any idea?

@CMT1
 those are ridiculous...congrats

@Nestea92
  those look really good...if I didn't have a few pairs of lugged soled shoes(and more on the way) would totally grab a pair

It looks like a "brush off" technique. Same thing that was used on the Morgan wingtips from last (2013) winter. I'm not exactly sure how its achieved, but i do believe it involves removing pigment with a burnishing wheel and the addition of some kind of chemical. Similar to what is done on the odenwald and strandmok. I'm not sure but I do think that its a corrected grain leather as well. I could be wrong on that part though. 

The Morgan was corrected grain (or as AE likes to call it "polished cobbler").  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who has a pair of AEs in that "leather", but . . . yuck.

Edit:  Just saw @Kahuna75
's post.  Sorry, brah. 

Lol...no sorry required...they are def not most people's cup of tea...and yuck is probably one of the nicer comments people have said about that shoe.
post #57170 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

The Morgan was corrected grain (or as AE likes to call it "polished cobbler").  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who has a pair of AEs in that "leather", but . . . yuck.

 

Edit:  Just saw @Kahuna75's post.  Sorry, brah. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post


Lol...no sorry required...they are def not most people's cup of tea...and yuck is probably one of the nicer comments people have said about that shoe.

 

 

My store manager has them in the wine color, and I think its a pretty cool shoe actually. I think it would be nearly impossible to achieve that kind of finish on a traditional polished calf. Obviously it's not for everyone, but its a cool shoe thats very unique.

post #57171 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by garland View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

The Morgan was corrected grain (or as AE likes to call it "polished cobbler").  I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who has a pair of AEs in that "leather", but . . . yuck.

 

Edit:  Just saw @Kahuna75's post.  Sorry, brah. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post


Lol...no sorry required...they are def not most people's cup of tea...and yuck is probably one of the nicer comments people have said about that shoe.

 

 

My store manager has them in the wine color, and I think its a pretty cool shoe actually. I think it would be nearly impossible to achieve that kind of finish on a traditional polished calf. Obviously it's not for everyone, but its a cool shoe thats very unique.

 

I remember Anthony Bourdain, some years back, talking about people who like well-done steaks.  IIRC, he said that restaurants will save their, shall we say, lower-quality steaks for those who want them cooked that way, on the grounds that (1) a good steak and a POS steak are basically the same once they've been carbonized, and (2) anyone who orders a steak well done is a philistine who gets what s/he deserves.  I always think of that when I think of corrected grain leather.  Am I a snob?  Probably.

 

Having said that, corrected grain must be in style these days.  I saw these recently at my local Billy Reid:

 

http://www.billyreid.com/footwear/mens/dress/crosby-shoe-chesnut.html

 

Seriously, WTF?  I actually have a couple pairs of his double monks and like them, but that thing . . . damn.

post #57172 of 70737
Cross posting this from the MTO thread. Anyone have experience with 'customizing' shoes during recrafting?

I have a pair of Wendells that are ready for recrafting:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I'd like to change their look to something along these lines:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have 3 potential make-ups in mind:

Natural edge and welt, dark brown welt stitch
Natural edge, chili welt, natural welt stitch
Natural edge and welt, red welt stitch

Any advice/suggestions? I noticed all three of the MTOs I referenced here have split reverse welts. I was thinking of keeping the flat welt based on the (relative) sleekness of the Wendell but am open to suggestion on that. Finally does anyone have pictures or links to the various welt and edge colors?
post #57173 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea92 View Post

Well, the snow has melted here in St. Louis!  More importantly we've had a few good rains to wash away all the salt.  I was finally able to take out my new Burgundy Patriot Penny loafers this week:  Does anyone know if these are considered "wheeled"? It looks like to me, but I thought that was an independence collection feature. Maybe wheeling is different?



 



The Patriot does have the wheeled edge. Its the only one outside the Indy line that has it I believe. But I think its only the calf Patriots. I've seen some that didn't have it. But maybe that was a goof. AE factory can be strange sometimes and they get a mind of their own.

My shell Patriots do not have wheeled edges, not real sure about the calf, but the pictures of the calf Patriots on AE website don't seem to show wheeled edges.
post #57174 of 70737
Really love the suede Badlands.
post #57175 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBro View Post



My shell Patriots do not have wheeled edges, not real sure about the calf, but the pictures of the calf Patriots on AE website don't seem to show wheeled edges.

 



Seems AE is unsure on which ones get it. The cordovan patriots the black and burgundy show no wheeling. The brown does. Maybe there was a move away from it. Maybe there are two people who do the finishing. One guy thought it was supposed to have it, the other didn't, and no one ever mentioned anything to them. So just depends if you get a shoe made my Ed, or Joe.

http://www.styleforum.net/g/i/540054/allen-edmonds-patriot-alden-lhs-986-equivalent-burgundy-horween-shell-cordovan/

http://cdn.styleforum.net/b/bf/bf0ec6bb_Patriot.jpeg

Older pics. Even google images is pretty mixed. I've seen some in the retail store that had wheeling less than a year ago. So I dunno.
post #57176 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

Cross posting this from the MTO thread. Anyone have experience with 'customizing' shoes during recrafting?

I have a pair of Wendells that are ready for recrafting: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'd like to change their look to something along these lines: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have 3 potential make-ups in mind:

Natural edge and welt, dark brown welt stitch
Natural edge, chili welt, natural welt stitch
Natural edge and welt, red welt stitch

Any advice/suggestions? I noticed all three of the MTOs I referenced here have split reverse welts. I was thinking of keeping the flat welt based on the (relative) sleekness of the Wendell but am open to suggestion on that. Finally does anyone have pictures or links to the various welt and edge colors?

 

I would go Natural edge, Natural welt, brown welt stitch

post #57177 of 70737
I have brown and burgundy shell patriots from the shoebank and both have wheeling.

I think my waxy brown long branch also has it for some reason.
post #57178 of 70737

Friggin Iowa State

post #57179 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

I'd like to change their look to something along these lines: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

That Polojock specimen has always been a favorite of mine.  I'm waiting for a burgundy shell Bradley to show up in my size at the Shoebank so I can give it the same treatment (split-reverse welt and natural all the way), either through AE or B. Nelson.

post #57180 of 70737

PSA: Brooks Brothers are having their 30% off corporate event today which includes AE.  Firsts for $300 or so.  Note that you have to click through almost  to the end where you pay to see the discount.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...