or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 380  

post #5686 of 70737

So what site do you guys buy your shoes from?

post #5687 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Malvern sports the better suede out of those 3...

 


So they are definitely different?  Are the Katmais and Amoks different too?

 

(My SO is going to think that I've gone mad, buying yet another pair of Malverns...)

post #5688 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Turtles View Post

Tried the Quinton in brown suede. Not a huge fan. Suede seemed pretty cheap. Sending them back for a 9.5 Bayfield Brown Chromexcel.
Anyone have any experience with this shoe?

I can comment on the Bayfield, if that's what you are asking. Just got mine today - and they are great. They are going into my rotation for inclement weather duty. Chromexcel is pretty great stuff. Pics to follow over the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmo View Post

So what site do you guys buy your shoes from?

Typically from AE directly, from my local outlet.

Also, I saw the AE for Brooks Brothers shoes today at the AE store, and I must say they looked pretty nice. In addition to the Strand, they also are doing a Version of the Elgin and the Shelton, in light brown calfskin. There also was a loafer I think.
post #5689 of 70737
AllenEdmonds.com ? confused.gif
post #5690 of 70737

I tried the Amok (not a good fit) and the Katmai.  The suede is on par with the price.  Alden suede is superb but $200 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helius0 View Post

Can anyone comment on the suede used in Malverns, Katmais, and the newer Amoks?

 

I'm looking to get a pair of suede ankle boots but am a little worried about all the posts about the suede used in Amoks (possibly limited to the first batches) aren't exactly top grade stuff.

post #5691 of 70737
I have just received my AE Fifth st boots today. I am US8EEE since they don’t come in EEE ordered US8.4D. They are a bit long and also plenty of room on the toe box. To be honest a bit disappointed with the pair. This is my first pair of AE. I did compare them with my 2 pairs of RL US8D (Sanderson and Singleton – both made by ae) both of them were extremely narrow. So I went ½ size up. But realized they are made on different last.
Anyway there are few blemish on leather here and there(seems like leather was bent and uneven and they look quite deep and scuff marks) few major stitching issue as well. Sorry I am not complaining about AE. I guess reading all compliments regarding Ae I was under the impression they would be really be RL quality.
I will post picture on the stitching issue over the weekend. There is a double stitching size of 2/3 inch on the side of the eyelet’s. And due to that there is a visible dimple. Returning not an option as I am in Australia. Will cost me over$70 to ship back to us.
Do you guys think its worth approaching endless and asking for a further discount as the condition they arrived is quite poor.
post #5692 of 70737

^ Make sure you email them. AE has great customer service and will work out a solution with you.

post #5693 of 70737

Agreed, my Katmai was custom ordered.  The build is first quality with no complaints but the mouth of the boot is huge.  I can get three to four fingers in there.  Otherwise the fit is good.  My SA told me to bring them back for a return or exchange rather than keep something I wasn't happy with.  No complaints there.

post #5694 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

We should spam him with similar messages until his computer catches fire.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #5695 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

 

Strand in brown Shell. If my walnut shell Strands weren't so dark I'd get a pair in a heart beat. For calf the Jefferson from the Independence Collection, which I am wearing today. Crappy cell phone picture does not do them justice. They are worth the extra cost IMO. 

 

jefferson.jpg

 

In the sun:

 

Those are looking great with some wear on them.  I was visiting my favorite AE crack dealer shoe store yesterday and gave the Jefferson in Walnut a hard look.  They didn't have them in the dark brown, otherwise they probably would have come home with me.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post

What is your favorite dark brown (not walnut) oxford AE? Can you provide photos?

Dark brown shell cordovan Strand.  I must say though, don't rule out a burgundy shell shoe, if you don't already have them.  Burgundy is a classic color for men's dress shoes.  For Oxfords, check out the Cambridge or Park Ave in burgundy shell or calf.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reydogg23 View Post

263
I'd like to thank this thread for opening my eyes to Allen Edmonds. I only recently realized that I could find great deals on these shoes.
I will be sending the Chocolate Players are being sent back. The Black Hales and Chili Powells are from the 2 for $200. The Walnut Lombards were my first pair.

Great choices!  I really like those Lombards, unfortunately the Lombard doesn't work with my foot.  The 2 last is just too narrow.  Enjoy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

I have just received my AE Fifth st boots today. I am US8EEE since they don’t come in EEE ordered US8.4D. They are a bit long and also plenty of room on the toe box. To be honest a bit disappointed with the pair. This is my first pair of AE. I did compare them with my 2 pairs of RL US8D (Sanderson and Singleton – both made by ae) both of them were extremely narrow. So I went ½ size up. But realized they are made on different last.
Anyway there are few blemish on leather here and there(seems like leather was bent and uneven and they look quite deep and scuff marks) few major stitching issue as well. Sorry I am not complaining about AE. I guess reading all compliments regarding Ae I was under the impression they would be really be RL quality.
I will post picture on the stitching issue over the weekend. There is a double stitching size of 2/3 inch on the side of the eyelet’s. And due to that there is a visible dimple. Returning not an option as I am in Australia. Will cost me over$70 to ship back to us.
Do you guys think its worth approaching endless and asking for a further discount as the condition they arrived is quite poor.

That's good you figured out your size - that's what just didn't work for me on those boots.  You bought first quality shoes (and it sounds like you didn't get first quality).  If you are unhappy with the option your retailer gave you, give AE a chance to make it right.  Their customer service is typically great, I trust you will find the same.  

post #5696 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by helius0 View Post

Can anyone comment on the suede used in Malverns, Katmais, and the newer Amoks?

I'm looking to get a pair of suede ankle boots but am a little worried about all the posts about the suede used in Amoks (possibly limited to the first batches) aren't exactly top grade stuff.

From what I've seen, the amoks have cheaper suede. Never seen the katmais.

My malverns in the brogue suede are great though. The suede seems to be high quality sturdy stuff. May not be up to the C&J or even Alden level, but for the price, it really shouldn't be.
post #5697 of 70737

Since I got my Malvern's for a hundred bucks, I really don't much care if Alden or C&J have better suede....

post #5698 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post

Since I got my Malvern's for a hundred bucks, I really don't much care if Alden or C&J have better suede....


Some pictures please! I got the burnished brown leather malverns as part of the sale and they might just be my most comfortable pair of AEs. The rubber sole and (lightly padded) poron insole really give a soft ride. I feel like the Malvern is a little underrated around these parts

post #5699 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by helius0 View Post

Can anyone comment on the suede used in Malverns, Katmais, and the newer Amoks?

 

I'm looking to get a pair of suede ankle boots but am a little worried about all the posts about the suede used in Amoks (possibly limited to the first batches) aren't exactly top grade stuff.

 

I have the Katmai and the suede is substantial. It is certainly not a desert boot suede thickness and I would not expect it to stretch much if at all. While I consider the suede fairly decent level I wish they wouldn't have had decided to stretch the artistic aspect of the boot and put a longer nap on the rear than the front. From any distance away you can not tell though, you have to examine them fairly close to see it on mine. And I'm sure some people like it as it is.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Turtles View Post

Tried the Quinton in brown suede. Not a huge fan. Suede seemed pretty cheap. Sending them back for a 9.5 Bayfield Brown Chromexcel.
Anyone have any experience with this shoe?

 

I had Russell Moccasin custom build me a pair of Grand Slam Sheep Hunters after they personally measured my feet. My Bayfield’s fit better than they do. Because of my lifestyle I’m a boot whore of the first magnitude and actually own more boots than shoes, although I’m trying to even the keel on that. The brown Bayfield is the best general purpose all around boot that I have ever owned, and I’ve owned a lot of boots and wore them out over the years. They are not a load bearing boot and were not designed to be one. I wouldn’t pack elk or a mulie out of the Co. Mountains with them or backpack the AT or PC trails in them. But the support is still above average for a general purpose boot. The soles are very low profile, even more so than the AE Cascades or any other informal boot I own and contribute to what I consider a great style.  Nick Horween has an article worth reading on his website about CXL leather:

 

http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel%C2%AE-2/

 

He mentions that he has had success with Montana Pitch Blend for waterproofing CXL so I decided to use Obenauf’s Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (HDLP) which is very similar and it has worked well for me. My black Bayfield’s I just polish with regular shoe cream then wax and use as a foul weather dress boot. I am extremely pleased with both of them.
post #5700 of 70737

Folks with Daltons, have you found that TTS works best after break in?  My first pair of AEs (San Marco brown pebble) started as almost too tight and now after 4-5 wears are almost too big.  Not sure if I should go with TTS in the Daltons or expect it to similarly stretch so much...  Thanks for your advice!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...