or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3685  

post #55261 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvhong View Post

Anyone here have experience with the Kenwoods? I don't want to start the whole Dominican Republic vs. USA-made controversy here once again (it got pretty heated a while back ago) but I ordered the equivalent Brooks version off the BB site, called "Tumbled Leather Popped Midsole Penny Loafers", and it turns out the shoes say they were made in the DR. I find this weird, since BB says they are made in the USA, and AE says the Kenwood is made in the USA as well. I certainly didn't pay the $348 original price tag for it, but if I did, charging that much for shoes made in DR seems a bit off (fully aware of the cheaper "Ae by..." line being made in DR)...  have any of you seen this discrepancy before or seen this in your Kenwoods? 



 



Thanks all! One day I'll attain enough knowledge and cajones to answer questions with the breadth and knowledge like y'all!


 




I agree. Charging that much is a bit off. I think I had read the review about those BB Kenwoods. Some in review points that out. They also have made in usa on their equivalent of the duke as well and its a DR shoe.

However for the sale price its probably not to bad. Would never pay the retail.
post #55262 of 70737

Bourbon Mora today...

 

post #55263 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by losrockets View Post
 

Hoping they release those adelaide in a mid brown, or maybe it'll look great in Bob's chili. Kind of wish it had a toe cap but it's not bad at all.  AE really needs to stop making such ugly chukkas, what the heck is that thing next to the tall boot? The Malvern would be fantastic if they re-released it on the 2 or 5 last, I wear my suede ones almost every week.

 

 

LOL...I was just thinking I liked that black thing next to the fur lined one...I thought it was a new release of the Odenwald with a lighter welt...I guess it is a chukka though?

post #55264 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post

Bourbon Mora today...



Those look fantastic. How did you size those compared to the 65 last? Hoping to grab a pair when the anniversary sale comes up. Any issues with the cap toe creasing?
post #55265 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghart View Post


Those look fantastic. How did you size those compared to the 65 last? Hoping to grab a pair when the anniversary sale comes up. Any issues with the cap toe creasing?

 

I see creasing in the pictures so I'd assume that would be a yes...

post #55266 of 70737
Walnut McAllisters with navy today.


Chris
post #55267 of 70737
Al dente - normally I think these guys go overboard, but I have to agree in this case. The Sa has no obligation to go over the flaw with you whatsoever. Also what you showed wasn't that bad.
post #55268 of 70737
Hey rad publications, when you call, just ask if it's too early for flapjacks. Sorry, not in a good mood with the storm and being at work for 12 hrs.
post #55269 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

@Al Dente I'm glad it worked out for you, but for seconds the "gash" is no big deal to me.



Also, not singling you out in any way, but in general I think it's nice when they offer to tell you what's wrong with them, but I don't think it's their obligation. It's part of the deal (and perhaps the fun/anticipation) when buying seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post


I'll just leave it with this: you are knowingly buying factory seconds at a discounted price from SAs that sell products to that standard. Please don't expect them to be perfect or for the SAs to have the same expectations. They will likely point out obvious flaws, but a mark like that is one of the best case scenario for seconds.

You guys can just say "I'd be okay with it" but when you continue to say "He probably didn't notice it" or "That's the best case scenario"...come on. It is clear he didn't check them, and this thread is filled with shoes you can't tell are seconds. You sound like the SA.
post #55270 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghart View Post


Those look fantastic. How did you size those compared to the 65 last? Hoping to grab a pair when the anniversary sale comes up. Any issues with the cap toe creasing?

Thanks, I actually went TTS (10D) with these and they fit just fine. Initially they were bit tight on little toe on left foot and I got them stretched at my local AE store (on their suggestion). May be I'd like 10E little better.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

 

I see creasing in the pictures so I'd assume that would be a yes...

 

you're right ,there is creasing on the cap toe which may be because of the stretching . but it doesn't bother me at all

post #55271 of 70737
My Long Branches, my very first pair of AEs, just turned two, so we celebrated with a Reno and a polish:

post #55272 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dente View Post



You guys can just say "I'd be okay with it" but when you continue to say "He probably didn't notice it" or "That's the best case scenario"...come on. It is clear he didn't check them, and this thread is filled with shoes you can't tell are seconds. You sound like the SA.

 

I agree the SA shouldn't lie, but neither have I ever received a pair of calf seconds where I couldn't eventually distinguish the flaw, and most I've discovered immediately. Only with shell have I received a flawless pair, and it was a long-discontinued model. I think some shoes that are long-discontinued are likely firsts. For instance, it seems once the Warwick hit the store, the calf Norwich disappeared from clearance and a truckload of that style happened to dump into the shoebank...

 

Honestly, I don't think an SA has ever checked seconds for me before shipping.

post #55273 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

I agree the SA shouldn't lie, but neither have I ever received a pair of calf seconds where I couldn't eventually distinguish the flaw, and most I've discovered immediately. Only with shell have I received a flawless pair, and it was a long-discontinued model. I think some shoes that are long-discontinued are likely firsts. For instance, it seems once the Warwick hit the store, the calf Norwich disappeared from clearance and a truckload of that style happened to dump into the shoebank...

Honestly, I don't think an SA has ever checked seconds for me before shipping.

I have always used the same SA when buying seconds. She call me as she has the shoes in her hand and describe what the flaw is. There have been times where she, not I, said that these were too damaged and she wouldn't recommend buying. When the seconds I want are at a different store she'll give me the option to have them shipped straight to me or to have them shipped to her where she'll inspect them before they come to me. I have never returned a pair of seconds and I've gotten many shell seconds from them.
post #55274 of 70737
I don't think it is the least bit unreasonable to expect an SA to check a shoe for you. Are they obligated to? Well, it would be in their best interest to 1) help ensure the sale and future business, 2) minimize risk of return, 3) provide a great experience for someone considering spending money with the company that employs them. We've seen many posters here name this very task as a reason they go back to a specific SA for every purchase.

I would never expect a second to be flawless but I've encountered a pair or two (of ~20) that were beyond my acceptance threshold. A discount does not mean you should be happy with whatever you get. It is completely up to the buyer to determine whether or not the shoe is of value to them.

In other words, the customer is always right.
post #55275 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post


I have always used the same SA when buying seconds. She call me as she has the shoes in her hand and describe what the flaw is. There have been times where she, not I, said that these were too damaged and she wouldn't recommend buying. When the seconds I want are at a different store she'll give me the option to have them shipped straight to me or to have them shipped to her where she'll inspect them before they come to me. I have never returned a pair of seconds and I've gotten many shell seconds from them.

 

 

I've only had to make two returns for flaws. Most returns I've made have been for fit issues on styles the stores don't stock. This is particularly true with loafers and boat shoes. I'll order them to my home for a fitting and return if they don't. It's unfortunate, but my mammoth feet just don't fit some patterns well, even if they fit the same last in the same size, in another pattern. I have them sent to my home and sometimes return directly, or drop them off at the local store.

 

 

 

I usually use the same SA, but I've had exceptions. Ideally I'd like to switch all my sales to my local AE store., but as they themselves are not an outlet, they've seemed reluctant to take the orders.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...