I went down 1/2 size from my Brannock size (which is also my 5 size). It fits perfectly and I'll just lace it tighter if I decide to wear it sockless in the summer. The right heel slips only slightly and for the price I paid, I'm not complaining!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 3:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3656post #54827 of 707371/31/15 at 6:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by rostov
I have the opposite issue with my Strand & Fifth Ave... the Fifth Ave is tight enough to be uncomfortable, whereas the Strand was adequate once broken in, if not slightly tight, until I had them recrafted. Now, they're a bit too tight, but still not as bad as the Fifth Ave, and I've gotten-by through wearing them less and abusing them through using oversized shoe-trees. Both are 11E, not my proper size, the result of being mis-sized by an SA following the return of a defective pair in my proper size; my proper size is 10.5 3E.
In my proper size, I also have several pairs that fit wildly different with the same last. This might be accounted for by different insoles, but also by the fact that every shoe is, ultimately, unique. For instance, my Ridgeways (a closed bal) can be laced all the way closed even with the thickest socks I own and with any other sock will actually be somewhat loose; whereas I my Brogue suede Strands are unforgiving and, even with thin socks, can be quite painful if I over-tighten the laces.
So I think I have said in other posts that I'm not too picky - these cosmetic issues noted in some of the pics I would probably be willing to overlook. But seriously? The Strand and the Fifth Ave fitting so drastically different from one another? The same shoe, same last, but one with more perfs than the other and they are so different? I'd get those back to the store in a heartbeat. Don't care if they were firsts or seconds, that is unacceptable.
Regarding the Ridgeway example, some of the 65 last styles do run significantly larger, like the McTavish for example. An SA once said something like it was because they don't wrap the leather as tightly around the last for these (?) Don't ask me, but the Ridgeway fit sounds normal.post #54828 of 707371/31/15 at 6:19pmQuote:
I don't know what's going on - I asked AE about the fit of the Clark Street and they said I should take the same size in all lasts but would be best measured by a master fitter in one of their retail stores. So I got my normal size and it didn't work. What gives?
Ok ok, trying to be funny. This one didn't work for me - I'm not a big fan of the 108 last in general. They do look really nice from the pics though.post #54829 of 707371/31/15 at 6:22pm
I dont believe $400 is the new low price. This sale is all 2nds. The last $325 was only shell. The had sales last year where shell was 20% off making it $400 as well. So I think they'll still drop lower. But we'll see.post #54830 of 707371/31/15 at 6:25pmQuote:
A true optimist. At least there are still some left in the world. We'll see, but I would venture a guess that I'm right.post #54831 of 707371/31/15 at 6:29pmpost #54832 of 707371/31/15 at 6:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by RichieP
The 65 is a bizarro last? News to me. A pair of Black Hills was my first AE purchase about 8 months ago, and fit me quite nicely. They were followed by a Cambridge, which is a tad looser, and then a Bleecker Street, which like you say, fits like a glove. I think I'd buy any 65 last shoe blind without worrying about fit. Anything else and I'm trying it on...
Actually that's not what I said at all. Sounds like you're a 65 last guy too. Would you say the on the whole, the large majority of 65 last shoes fit more like the Park Ave? Or the Black Hills?post #54833 of 707371/31/15 at 6:35pmQuote:
You want a truly bizarro last? Try on some Players shoes or Presidios and see what you think. The 65 is as standard as they get.post #54834 of 707371/31/15 at 6:47pmSo, I finally made it into the store to try on a Gobi. First up was my regular size (10D) and boy were my feet swimming in it. Not just the heel slip, but I could literally slide my foot side-to-side in it! Went down to a 9.5D and the width was much better, but my big toe was pressed up against the front. Heel was also improved, but still didn't feel the way I like it. Any thoughts on maybe going up to a 10.5 but down to a B width? Or is that just too far in either direction?
This was a bummer, as I was very fond of the stone suede and snuff looked nice too. I was taken aback at how light this chukka is! Maybe I could make the 10 work if I wore it with thicker boot socks, but it seems that would defeat the purpose of such a light boot come springtime. There is still the stone suede Mcgregor on the Shoebank but I was kind of in the mood for a plain toe. Maybe that suede Leeds for Club Monaco someone posted a while back will come around.
The store trip might not be a total loss though. I looked around and the Rush street really made me think. I'm really not a fan of the light welt in SF pix, but up close, the whole shoe had a casual look I liked.post #54835 of 707371/31/15 at 6:53pmQuote:
I have the Rust Street in both blue and green. Both are being discontinued but I plan on getting the brown with a red dainite sole instead of the black it comes with.post #54836 of 707371/31/15 at 6:57pmQuote:
Oh, I think I get what you meant - "bizarro" shoes made on the 65 last.
Can't answer, as I don't have any Park Aves (nor could I bring myself to buy Strands last summer during the Nordstrom sale, as I just don't need such dressy shoes), but my guess would be Black Hills fit is atypical, given the stiffer waxy leather.
But I'm just a n00b, so what do I know?post #54837 of 707371/31/15 at 7:11pmpost #54838 of 707371/31/15 at 7:29pmpost #54839 of 707371/31/15 at 7:30pmQuote:
65 last is perfect for me. I have to go 8.5E and I'm a 9D on the brannock, but it's a great fit. All other AE lasts give me some sort of toe pinching or heel slip, but not the 5 last. Old reliable.Quote:Quote:
I have to point out that the $300 and $325 price was also a sale price on seconds. If I remember correctly the regular price was $399 when it went down to $299 and $499 when it went to $325. It hasn't been that long since the $325 sale. If there's another shell specific sale and it's not under $350 then maybe we're approaching Alden seconds pricing, but 20% off all 2nds isn't anything special. $399 is still a good deal IMO since there are tons more AE shell seconds than TSM factory second Aldens. To get Alden seconds in shell would involve me jumping on the phone as soon as I got the e-mail and calling TSM during work hours and hoping I get through and giving out my credit card information in an area full of co workers, then screaming in agony if I find out that they are already sold out. Not to mention there are sometimes months that go by without any shell on the lists.
AE dominates in terms of availability by far. Even for the first quality rare shells basically anyone could have gone in and gotten themselves some natural compared to Alden where you need to send out a scout team to send and check e-mails or consistently check instagram in case a make up is listed and then call ASAP.
However, I agree that at full retail, AE is becoming less interesting. I would take Carmina or Alden shell over AE at full retail 9 times out of ten .
For calf...I picked up two pairs of Alfred Sargents for $400 this year which are far superior to AEs for less than AE + sales tax. In my opinion, Alfred Sargents on sale are a great value, but that's not fair comparing full retail in one brand to a sale price of another. AE doesn't have that tight, beveled waist, attractive lasts and oak bark tanned soles...yeah...post #54840 of 707371/31/15 at 7:34pmQuote:
I got my two pairs of AEs for $308 (black PAs) and $212.50 (burgundy JAB Fifth Avenues), but I agree that at $385, Carmina at $339ish seems to be a no-brainer.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 1 minute ago
- › Sartoriale = Official Affiliate Vendor thread 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 8 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 23 minutes ago
- › BOGLIOLI Wool/Cotton/Cashmere Light Brown Sportcoat Size 48IT/38US 29 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 37 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 48 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 58 minutes ago
- › Russell & Bromley? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...