or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3653  

post #54781 of 70737

I've found the information, and especially the "in the wild" pictures in this thread valuable in assisting me in my shoe search, so allow me to make a small contribution:  I purchased a pair of Eagle River boots from the AE website.  Sizes were limited, so I went with a 10.5 E, instead of an 11 D.  Close but no cigar as they were a little tight on the right "wee wee wee" piggy.  The leather on the boots was very thick and spongelike, but harder and more solid on the burnished toe and heel.  I tohugh maybe I would get an 11D that popped up on the shoebank, but the wife seems to like the Longbranch better, especially the Chromexcel.  I might get those when the sale starts Monday.  Here is a pic.  You can see the color is closer to what is shown on the website, a little darker than the real life pictures that are floating around.  I thought the biggest difference form the official pic was the sponge-like quality 

and lack of shine of the leather.

 

 

 

 

post #54782 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Dente View Post

I've found the information, and especially the "in the wild" pictures in this thread valuable in assisting me in my shoe search, so allow me to make a small contribution:  I purchased a pair of Eagle River boots from the AE website.  Sizes were limited, so I went with a 10.5 E, instead of an 11 D.  Close but no cigar as they were a little tight on the right "wee wee wee" piggy.  The leather on the boots was very thick and spongelike, but harder and more solid on the burnished toe and heel.  I tohugh maybe I would get an 11D that popped up on the shoebank, but the wife seems to like the Longbranch better, especially the Chromexcel.  I might get those when the sale starts Monday.  Here is a pic.  You can see the color is closer to what is shown on the website, a little darker than the real life pictures that are floating around.  I thought the biggest difference form the official pic was the sponge-like quality 
and lack of shine of the leather.






Thanks for sharing. Looks like a real workboot. I suppose that may be the same leather used in the tan Strandmok and Sturgis.
post #54783 of 70737
Has anyone here who owns both the Strand and the Fifth Ave run into a slight sizing variation between the two? I have a pair of Strands and McAllisters both in 8C which fit me well....snug around the ankle and vamp and plenty room in the toe--both with about 1/4-3/8" lacing gap at the top of each foot when laced. However, I just ordered a pair of Fifth Aves in the same size (8C) and for me to get a similarly snug fit, I have to lace them up as tight as possible, thus leaving zero lacing gap. This is the second pair of 8C's I've tried--the first was sent back because I thought there might be a mistake in sizing, but I'm starting to think the Fifth Aves a bit looser than the Strands and McAllisters.

Anyone have the same experience? I'm thinking of trying an 8B out.
Edited by jubu - 1/30/15 at 7:39pm
post #54784 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubu View Post

Has anyone here who owns both the Strand and the Fifth Ave run into a slight sizing variation between the two? I have a pair of Strands and McAllisters both in 8C which fit me well....snug around the ankle and vamp and plenty room in the toe--both with about 1/4-3/8" lacing gap at the top of each foot when laced. However, I just ordered a pair of Fifth Aves in the same size (8C) and for me to get a similarly snug fit, I have to lace them up as tight as possible, thus leaving zero lacing gap. This is the second pair of 8C's I've tried--the first was sent back because I thought there might be a mistake in sizing, but I'm starting to think the Fifth Aves a bit looser than the brigade Strands and McAllisters.

Anyone have the same experience? I'm thinking of trying an 8B out.

 

I have the opposite issue with my Strand & Fifth Ave... the Fifth Ave is tight enough  to be uncomfortable, whereas the Strand was adequate once broken in, if not slightly tight, until I had them recrafted. Now, they're a bit too tight, but still not as bad as the Fifth Ave, and I've gotten-by through wearing them less and abusing them through using oversized shoe-trees. Both are 11E, not my proper size, the result of being mis-sized by an SA following the return of a defective pair in my proper size; my proper size is 10.5 3E.

 

In my proper size, I also have several pairs that fit wildly different with the same last. This might be accounted for by different insoles, but also by the fact that every shoe is, ultimately, unique.  For instance, my Ridgeways (a closed bal) can be laced all the way closed even with the thickest socks I own and with any other sock will actually be somewhat loose; whereas I my Brogue suede Strands are unforgiving and, even with thin socks, can be quite painful if I over-tighten the laces.

post #54785 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
 

Is the rogue supposed to replace the strand?  I hope not...AE has discontinued a lot of good things in the past but if this was supposed to replace the Strand... I don't know.

I think the Park Av, Fifth Av, McAllister, and strand are all untouchable.   I don't think AE would discontinue any of them, but I suppose there have been other solid models in recent decades that were discontinued.

post #54786 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post
 

The new Rogue and Warwick have landed on AE's site.  They're on the 201 last like the First Avenue.

 

The 201 last is the newest last introduction from the Product Development team. This last has a higher cone, providing more room for a higher instep and contemporary shelf appeal. The toe down has fuller forefoot width for more comfort and slight chisel to the toe profile, providing a sleek looking aesthetic which complements our iconic 65 last.

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

 

I presume the Warwick is supposed to replace the Norwich? After all, the 222-last seems to be going away. I'm now seeing the calf Norwich models in clearance with only the shell in current production. These also seem to be shoes with good potential for production in other colors and leathers for MTO or general production...

post #54787 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I'm sporting some walnut shell Dundees...  much thanks to @mdubs for bringing them to my attention.  While I am an Alden-oholic, I am quite pleased with this AE make-up.  They certainly feel much lighter and the shape of the 1 last appears to be an improvement over the Alden chukka.  (I know, gasp...!)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Glad they made the adventure to their new owner well and I am glad that you like them. They had an absolutely brilliant color on them! Enjoy them in good health!

 

-Mike

post #54788 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTuesday View Post
 

 

Very mysterious @mdubs - are you 19 or 90?  To me (and I'm not an SA), any adult male with feet entering an AE store would seem like a potential customer.

 

Also, I can't imagine YOU being ignored, considering your footwear.  Any skilled SA should identify you as a potential goldmine when you enter the county.  I'm just saying

 

I am in my early 30s... LoL. I guess I am a gold mine at a shoe store... :-) Let's just say I bought a few shoes last year, probably more than the average Joe.

 

However, I typically wear either my AEs/Aldens or Flip-Flops. As a SoCal resident, high end dress shoes are not always appropriate... :-)

 

-Mike

post #54789 of 70737
The Rogue, while nice, is simply another iteration of the (old) Lexington and the Sanford. How has that shoe been redone so many times and we still don't get a SWB?
post #54790 of 70737
Is the 2 for $250 sale coming up soon?
post #54791 of 70737

Hey all,

 

I recently purchased a pair of brown strands from a Brooks Brothers store and as I was lacing them, I noticed the eyelets on the left shoe was aligned with each other.  This is my first pair of a good quality dress shoes so I'm not exactly sure if this is fine or not.  

 

This is the left shoe.  I drew a square to help show the misalignment.  


This is the right shoe, it's more aligned than the left shoe.

 

Shoes side by side

 

Left shoe laced

 

Both shoes laced

 

I realize these shoes are handmade so there are going to be some inconsistencies.  As far as I know these are not seconds as there are no stamps on either sole of the shoes.  Am I being too much of a perfectionist and worrying about a minor detail or should I exchange them?  I plan to wear these in a business casual office environment as well as a night out with the fellas.  

post #54792 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharo View Post

Is the 2 for $250 sale coming up soon?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but .... they ain't doing that this time.

 

Now you kind of got me started.  I believe that we will start to see AE implode upon itself.  Not sure how carefully you follow the prices over time, but if you were to compare even today to one year ago, the jump is borderline ludicrous.  I always thought of AE as kind of the middle of the road option between crap brands like CH and ultra high end luxury brands.  But the price of classics like the PA/Strand and those others rise and rise, to the point where I bet we will see the RA sale prices reflect the retail prices of the year before.  I remember reading that they were going to do more Independence Line models, like even for things like the PA.  And then what?  Make $500 the norm?  Phase out the standard models entirely?  Then inflate the shell cord prices even more?  I realize that the costs of leather are going up, but come on.  I was looking at a shell cord Randolph last year from the outlet, believe it was going to run about $300.  Did someone in an earlier post say shell cord sale price for this Feb sale was going to be $400?  A $100 increase?  Not sure how much of the sale list you have seen (they didn't actually publish most of it), but believe me, it pales in comparison to things they have done in the past.  Lots of BB models and I didn't think the discounts were too good.  There were a handful of standouts in my opinion, but no showstoppers.  I think if AE continues this trend of inflating the prices and offering more sales like this to try to trick the consumer into thinking they are getting a good deal, it will hurt them in the long run.

 

Completely unrelated, but they need to expand the styles into things people would actually want.  Someone in a different thread was asking for something comparable to a TBNY.  The Harrison and PA were suggested, but really when you look at it, I don't think AE has anything quite like them - they should, but they don't.  Why not make some different styles like those?  Instead they are going after Rockport's market and making things like the Voyager?  I don't get it.

post #54793 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by haet56 View Post
 

Hey all,

 

I recently purchased a pair of brown strands from a Brooks Brothers store and as I was lacing them, I noticed the eyelets on the left shoe was aligned with each other.  This is my first pair of a good quality dress shoes so I'm not exactly sure if this is fine or not.  

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


This is the right shoe, it's more aligned than the left shoe.

 

Shoes side by side

 

Left shoe laced

 

Both shoes laced

 

I realize these shoes are handmade so there are going to be some inconsistencies.  As far as I know these are not seconds as there are no stamps on either sole of the shoes.  Am I being too much of a perfectionist and worrying about a minor detail or should I exchange them?  I plan to wear these in a business casual office environment as well as a night out with the fellas.  

 

Sir - those do look to be slightly misaligned.  If you call brooks brothers they will take care of you.  You should be able to exchange for another pair.  AE has some sort of "allowance" I am not sure if those would be considered in spec or not.  If you sent the pics to AE customer service they would be able to tell you.  It happens sometimes when they punch the holes for the eyelets.  There are some videos on youtube where you can see how they do it.  In my experience, if it bothers you now return/exchange them.  You will always notice it when you look down at your feet.  However, 99% of the world will not.  Good luck.

post #54794 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by haet56 View Post
 

Hey all,

 

I recently purchased a pair of brown strands from a Brooks Brothers store and as I was lacing them, I noticed the eyelets on the left shoe was aligned with each other.  This is my first pair of a good quality dress shoes so I'm not exactly sure if this is fine or not.  

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This is the left shoe.  I drew a square to help show the misalignment.  


This is the right shoe, it's more aligned than the left shoe.

 

Shoes side by side

 

Left shoe laced

 

Both shoes laced

 

I realize these shoes are handmade so there are going to be some inconsistencies.  As far as I know these are not seconds as there are no stamps on either sole of the shoes.  Am I being too much of a perfectionist and worrying about a minor detail or should I exchange them?  I plan to wear these in a business casual office environment as well as a night out with the fellas.  

 

Your eyelets are misaligned and so is the toe cap. It doesn't run parallel across the shoe. Get an exchange. They should let you. 

post #54795 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post
 

 

Your eyelets are misaligned and so is the toe cap. It doesn't run parallel across the shoe. Get an exchange. They should let you. 

Good catch - I didnt see that before.  Definitely return those.  That toe cap is terrible.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...