or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3630  

post #54436 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

I stopped by the Madison and 44th St. store the other day and the SA (who was the manager) scoffed when I told him I like shoes in the 8 last, stating that, "they don't really talk in terms of lasts anymore." What does that even mean?

How odd. My exoerience with that store is that the SAs are generally less knowledgable than I am, except for Sergio, who is fantastic.
post #54437 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

I stopped by the Madison and 44th St. store the other day and the SA (who was the manager) scoffed when I told him I like shoes in the 8 last, stating that, "they don't really talk in terms of lasts anymore." What does that even mean?

 

I heard that from a store manager in NYC quite a few months ago. I think their stance is that even shoes made on the same last may fit differently, therefore they won't treat them the same. Might also be a way for SAs to have customers try different shoes. It's still undeniable that shoes on the same last have similar shapes, fit, etc, IMO. 

post #54438 of 70737
Good morning, sirs. It has been many a moon since I've logged into styleforum and specifically this thread. I have missed you all, but had to excuse myself for a bit because I was becoming a little too materialistic. I was spending an exorbitant amount of income on shoes and clothing and realized that I needed to scale back a bit. I regret missing out on the camaraderie within this thread, but the temptation was too great to buy more shoes when I read it. I'll have to read through the months of posts I've missed soon (a daunting task!)

I hope you've all been well and that 2015 is treating you kindly.

Now for a question: I recently got a sweet deal on a pair of Dalton firsts, but fear I have ruined them while stupidly trying to break them in while doing laundry. Somehow bleach splattered onto the toe of the right boot and did this...



I took them to a local cobbler who told me nothing could be done. Any ideas? I'd hate to think I ruined them before ever wearing them in public.
post #54439 of 70737
Funny someone brought this up as I was going to post anyway. Absolutely agree. 7 last is weird for me. I find the toe box uncomfortably narrow almost but it widens as it goes out. Enough that I would avoid it from now on. 65 I have no issues with. I take the same size in both.
post #54440 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistofFurySC View Post
 

 

Good to finally find some "in the wild" pics of these boots. They look great. I've been contemplating picking up a pair for myself. How did you size for these? 


I wear an 8.5 in all other AEs, but wear a 9 in the Promontory Point boots.  For 2 reason - the first is the cushioned insert in the boot.  You could remove it but I think it has important insulating qualities for a winter boot.  The other reason is that I wear thick socks with them (again, winter boot).  If you took out the padded sole and wore regular socks, they'd fit like any other AE.

 

Oh, one thing about them - I cannot wear them with the top eyelet laced.  The leather is so thick, that the top of the boot where the tongue meets the top sides of the boot rubs and irritates my shins like crazy.  So I only lace to the second-to-last hole and have no issues at all with comfort.

post #54441 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

Good morning, sirs. It has been many a moon since I've logged into styleforum and specifically this thread. I have missed you all, but had to excuse myself for a bit because I was becoming a little too materialistic. I was spending an exorbitant amount of income on shoes and clothing and realized that I needed to scale back a bit. I regret missing out on the camaraderie within this thread, but the temptation was too great to buy more shoes when I read it. I'll have to read through the months of posts I've missed soon (a daunting task!)

I hope you've all been well and that 2015 is treating you kindly.

Now for a question: I recently got a sweet deal on a pair of Dalton firsts, but fear I have ruined them while stupidly trying to break them in while doing laundry. Somehow bleach splattered onto the toe of the right boot and did this...
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I took them to a local cobbler who told me nothing could be done. Any ideas? I'd hate to think I ruined them before ever wearing them in public.

 

Sorry I don't have a response or solution to your issue but I have to comment that I have been having similar thoughts about the materialism that has crept into my habits.  I seem to have restraint in not going overboard on purchases but just the desire bothers me somehow.  I haven't decided how I'm going to address this issue for myself.  I enjoy reading the threads and the camaraderie but the enthusiasm and joy of other posters' purchases can't but have an effect. 

 

I hope you are able to resolve the bleach issue.  But thanks for posting.  Not sure I should say "welcome back".

post #54442 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Sorry I don't have a response or solution to your issue but I have to comment that I have been having similar thoughts about the materialism that has crept into my habits.  I seem to have restraint in not going overboard on purchases but just the desire bothers me somehow.  I haven't decided how I'm going to address this issue for myself.  I enjoy reading the threads and the camaraderie but the enthusiasm and joy of other posters' purchases can't but have an effect. 

I hope you are able to resolve the bleach issue.  But thanks for posting.  Not sure I should say "welcome back".

I understand what you mean. It's even worse when I read the posts from "traditionalists" about certain items like not liking zip up sweaters etc. Not to be a jerk but when I read certain posts more so in the WIWT thread I just laugh at the sheer ridiculousness.

It's just clothes and shoes at the end of the day and when I log out of SF I realize wait people actually don't care that my pants might be a hair too long or I'm wearing walnut strands with a navy suit when the rule says black shoes with a navy suit.

I have 5 dress shoes and now starting to SLOWLY build my casual shoe wardrobe. Everyone thinks I"m crazy for having 5 pairs of dress shoes, imagine when I get my casual shoes going happy.gif
post #54443 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

Good morning, sirs. It has been many a moon since I've logged into styleforum and specifically this thread. I have missed you all, but had to excuse myself for a bit because I was becoming a little too materialistic. I was spending an exorbitant amount of income on shoes and clothing and realized that I needed to scale back a bit. I regret missing out on the camaraderie within this thread, but the temptation was too great to buy more shoes when I read it. I'll have to read through the months of posts I've missed soon (a daunting task!)

I hope you've all been well and that 2015 is treating you kindly.

Now for a question: I recently got a sweet deal on a pair of Dalton firsts, but fear I have ruined them while stupidly trying to break them in while doing laundry. Somehow bleach splattered onto the toe of the right boot and did this...



I took them to a local cobbler who told me nothing could be done. Any ideas? I'd hate to think I ruined them before ever wearing them in public.

Just a suggestion on your boot issue - try AE Shoe Cream
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF560_1_40000000001_-1?style=507

I had a pair of burgundy shoes that got a scuff - didn't damage the leather, but took the color off. Regular carnauba polish was not helping. My local menswear / shoe store recommended the burgundy shoe cream due to its high dye content. The salesperson recommended putting a dab of the shoe cream on the spot and letting it sit for a while. I did that for about 1 minute and it got better. I did it for about 5 minutes and it fixed the problem. Apparently letting it sit on the leather allows the dye to absorb into the leather.

Maybe try the light brown and see what happens. Just dab it on the spots - maybe use a q-tip - and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then you can maybe put the cream on the entire boot and buff off after about a minute to even it out.

Good luck

Chris
post #54444 of 70737

I am looking for a jack of all trades shoe and  have had my eye on a pair of Mcgregor's for a while now.  I wears suits to work but would also like to wear them more casually with jeans.  I was pretty set on bourbon but due to a thread recommendation of the Chili I am now not sure.  First, do you think the Mcgregors can be worn with a suit and with jeans?  If so, what color do you think is the most versatile?

 

Thanks! 

post #54445 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


Good luck

Chris

Thank you kindly. I will certainly try this and report back.
post #54446 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

Good morning, sirs. It has been many a moon since I've logged into styleforum and specifically this thread. I have missed you all, but had to excuse myself for a bit because I was becoming a little too materialistic. I was spending an exorbitant amount of income on shoes and clothing and realized that I needed to scale back a bit. I regret missing out on the camaraderie within this thread, but the temptation was too great to buy more shoes when I read it. I'll have to read through the months of posts I've missed soon (a daunting task!)

I hope you've all been well and that 2015 is treating you kindly.

Now for a question: I recently got a sweet deal on a pair of Dalton firsts, but fear I have ruined them while stupidly trying to break them in while doing laundry. Somehow bleach splattered onto the toe of the right boot and did this...



I took them to a local cobbler who told me nothing could be done. Any ideas? I'd hate to think I ruined them before ever wearing them in public.

Use some polish slightly darker than the walnut color and it'll get covered up nicely.

post #54447 of 70737
[quote name="mry8s" url="/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/54360#post_7637017"
One question I had as a relative newcomer to AE's shoes in general, and the 65 last in particular, is about fit: I measure somewhere between 10-1/2 D or E and an 11 D. Foot length is almost spot on for a 10-1/2 and width could be either, but my heel-ball (arch length) is almost spot on for an 11.

I got the neumok in an 11 and I notice that while fit feels pretty good, they seem exceptionally long in the toe.

Width seems solid in that the laces pull the two sides just shy of meeting (thick socks).

Unlaced, I can shove my foot forward enough to get my index finger behind my heel.
If I lace them up snug, I can barely squeeze a pinky between my heel and the shoe, which seems fine.

But then there is this 1 inch space between my longest toe and the tip of the leather on the toe. Is that typical of the 65 last? Long and pointy?
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Correct fit is determined by heel to ball placement, so go with that. Toe length is generally inconsequential. The 5 last will run long in the toe for most feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post

For length-wise fit, the widest part of your foot (ball of foot/where your toes connect to the rest of your foot) should be at the widest part of the shoe. This is the proper flex point of the shoe. So you should be sizing based off of your heel-to-ball of foot size, not heel to big toe. To put it another way, if your toes were to be chopped off, you'd still wear the same size shoe you did when you had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mry8s View Post



That's where I'm at. the big bone / ball of my foot is right at the widest part of the forefoot. The creases form just proximally of the tip of the wing's point which is pretty ideal.

What's funny is that I always thought I had long toes... But apparently someone has longer.

They are correct in that you should always follow the heel to ball length because that is the most important part of the fit in terms of length. That is where our foot bends and should go with the same part of the shoe which helps you in propulsion of your gait as well as protects both your feet and the shoes integrity. Don't foget that the shank is under the arch part of the shoe so if your for doesn't bend with the shank you can damage the shoe or even cause harm to your foot over time.

You should only use overall length as a guide unless it is longer than your heel to ball. you may have to increase the shoe length because it also isn't good to not have enough room at the front of your shoe. The "rule of thumb" literally applies here in terms of a thumbs width. Some like a little less and some even like a bit more. If the heel to ball length is substantially longer than the relationship to overall length, the only problem if the shoe is way too long in front of the toes. Then there may be more wear on the front of the shoe's outsole.

My heel to ball is a full size longer than my overall length so I can wear a whole size different from one last to another within AE alone. I wear a 14 in the 5 last but a 15 in the 7 last due to the tighter toe.

That is why you need to go by heel to ball first and overall length second. Just learn your sizes in each last that works for your foot.
That is just length. Width and volume are actually even more complicated so that can be saved for another time because it was tough enough to type all of this from my iPhone.
post #54448 of 70737

Ok, I tried this on the general Q&A but no love, and I thought, why not try on my favorite thread...  To respect the thread and convey my true love of AE, I have crossed out shows that I might or might not actually have, and put the closest AE model that an AE-fan purer than myself would have.

 

So... I need to purge at least three pairs of shoes from this lineup (guess why).  I'm having trouble so coming to you for some wise insight.

 

At work I am generally business casual, wear a suit (either navy or charcoal) occasionally.  Jeans and cords on weekends.

 

Black Captoe Bal (AE Park Ave)

Merlot Wingtip Bals (AE McAlister)

burgundy Shell cordovan Plain Toe Bluchers (AE Leeds)

burgundy Shell cordovan long wings (old Florsheims) (AE MacNeil)

burgundy Shell Cordovan Penny Loafers (Alden LHS) (AE Patriot)

Brown captoe bluchers (Alden for BB) (AE Lexington)

Walnut "medallion perforated captoe" bals  (Alfred Sargent for BB) (this in walnut) (Slightly less embellished AE Strand)

this weird kiltie monkstrap that for some reason I can't get myself to return (C&J for black fleece, talk me out of it please, they're new and unworn still) (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Dark-Brown-Kiltie-Wingtip/FH00035,default,pd.html) (AE Montague???)

 

What shoed go?

post #54449 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post

They are correct in that you should always follow the heel to ball length because that is the most important part of the fit in terms of length. That is where our foot bends and should go with the same part of the shoe which helps you in propulsion of your gait as well as protects both your feet and the shoes integrity. Don't foget that the shank is under the arch part of the shoe so if your for doesn't bend with the shank you can damage the shoe or even cause harm to your foot over time.

You should only use overall length as a guide unless it is longer than your heel to ball. you may have to increase the shoe length because it also isn't good to not have enough room at the front of your shoe. The "rule of thumb" literally applies here in terms of a thumbs width. Some like a little less and some even like a bit more. If the heel to ball length is substantially longer than the relationship to overall length, the only problem if the shoe is way too long in front of the toes. Then there may be more wear on the front of the shoe's outsole.

My heel to ball is a full size longer than my overall length so I can wear a whole size different from one last to another within AE alone. I wear a 14 in the 5 last but a 15 in the 7 last due to the tighter toe.

That is why you need to go by heel to ball first and overall length second. Just learn your sizes in each last that works for your foot.
That is just length. Width and volume are actually even more complicated so that can be saved for another time because it was tough enough to type all of this from my iPhone.

This is all good info, but I have to point out that AE shoes don't contain shanks. I learned this in a recent Reddit with Paul Grangaard. The invention of a shankless shoe manufacturing process was one of the company's founding ideas. Paul says they experimented with adding shanks in the now defunct "executive collection" years ago, but ultimately discontinued their use.
post #54450 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


They are correct in that you should always follow the heel to ball length because that is the most important part of the fit in terms of length. That is where our foot bends and should go with the same part of the shoe which helps you in propulsion of your gait as well as protects both your feet and the shoes integrity. Don't foget that the shank is under the arch part of the shoe so if your for doesn't bend with the shank you can damage the shoe or even cause harm to your foot over time.

You should only use overall length as a guide unless it is longer than your heel to ball. you may have to increase the shoe length because it also isn't good to not have enough room at the front of your shoe. The "rule of thumb" literally applies here in terms of a thumbs width. Some like a little less and some even like a bit more. If the heel to ball length is substantially longer than the relationship to overall length, the only problem if the shoe is way too long in front of the toes. Then there may be more wear on the front of the shoe's outsole.

My heel to ball is a full size longer than my overall length so I can wear a whole size different from one last to another within AE alone. I wear a 14 in the 5 last but a 15 in the 7 last due to the tighter toe.

That is why you need to go by heel to ball first and overall length second. Just learn your sizes in each last that works for your foot.
That is just length. Width and volume are actually even more complicated so that can be saved for another time because it was tough enough to type all of this from my iPhone.

EDIT: @peppercorn78 beat me to it.

 

AE actually doesn't use shanks in construction. The structure of the shoe comes from the 360 degree goodyear welt. Everything else you said is correct though :)

 

 

Kyle

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...