or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3627  

post #54391 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post

What? Where? How?

Check your local menswear shops. I purchased my first quality Daltons at 1/2 off and I purchased my first quality Oldenwald's at 1/2 off. They clear out boots in late winter / early spring at 1/2 off.

I have also picked up some AE shoes at 1/2 off when they are closing them out or the season is changing.

Some deals may be found at your local shops. I don't have an AE store near me, so local shops are all I can visit on a regular basis.

Chris
post #54392 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Until Friday. I'm going to brave the underside of the interstate and try to make it to Gladys Knight's.

So, did you make it?

If you're bored, you can take Marta to perimeter mall. The park place AE store is across the street from the mall.
post #54393 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisleduc1 View Post

Hey everyone! Great forum here. 
I have some questions about shoe care. 
I have a pair of Camerons that I dont wear too often, and then I just got a new pair of black PA as the heel feel off my old pair and Nordstroms replaced them. 

Due to the current AE clearance, I just ordered a pair of walnut PA and a chill and a bourbon Bleeker. 

With my new PA what I did was use about 3 layers of the cleaner/conditioner and then I did I think 4 layers of the premium polish, before I wore them the first time. Each layer of polish gets the brush, cloth and then brush again. Repeat. 

AE trees immediately after wearing. 

So I basically have 2 questions. 

1. Now that I have several more new pairs coming, I want to make sure I am prepping them for first use as best as possible? Is there anything I should be doing differently? 

2. Whats the best maintenance schedule? What I dont understand is, after wearing them a few times, can I then use the conditioner/cleaner? Should I? In doing so, I would think Im going to severely hinder my shine and have to then start all over with several layers of polish. I think the premium polish has conditioner in it, so maybe I dont need to use the cleaner/conditioner?  I do like to keep a nice gloss, but also want them last, so... 

Thanks in advance! 

I see no need to apply conditioner three times straight out of the box for brand new shoes. If they don't look like they need conditioner, there's a great chance they don't. When mine do, I use Bick 4 and let it set in a good while.

After wearing shoes for a while and reading the posts on SF in shoe related threads, I've concluded most folks don't brush enough and apply product too often.
post #54394 of 70737

hey guys pretty new to the forum and thought i'd post in this massive thread about AE instead of creating a new thread

 

just bought my first Allen Edmonds shoe (Kenilworth) and it fits fine except for some flaring/gapping around the ankle. I wore it around the house for a few min and there's already a crease around the ankle area because of this. It's obvious even when I'm standing straight and not moving. It's a size 9D (I've always worn 9 for dress shoes and 10 for sneakers) and the shoes don't seem to fit too large because I don't feel my feet moving or slipping when I walk.I guess it could be a little bit more snug but then it might feel stiff.

 

Is gapping around the ankle normal or can this be a defect? Should I go for a smaller shoe size (8.5) or go for a more narrow size 9?

 

thanks

post #54395 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh1n View Post

hey guys pretty new to the forum and thought i'd post in this massive thread about AE instead of creating a new thread

just bought my first Allen Edmonds shoe (Kenilworth) and it fits fine except for some flaring/gapping around the ankle. I wore it around the house for a few min and there's already a crease around the ankle area because of this. It's obvious even when I'm standing straight and not moving. It's a size 9D (I've always worn 9 for dress shoes and 10 for sneakers) and the shoes don't seem to fit too large because I don't feel my feet moving or slipping when I walk.I guess it could be a little bit more snug but then it might feel stiff.

Is gapping around the ankle normal or can this be a defect? Should I go for a smaller shoe size (8.5) or go for a more narrow size 9?

thanks

Most people tend to go down a half size in the 65 last...I have no experience with Kenilworth per say but big ankle bowing usually means poor fit or shoe just is not right for you.
post #54396 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA19 View Post

I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction for my next AE purchase.  My collection is a lowly two pairs but planning to ramp that up this year as I rotate out some old shoes.   So far I have black PA's and walnuts Strands. I definitely plan on adding some shell cordovan's soon but really need another pair of brown shoes for the times where wearing the strands may not be appropriate.   Which model do you all recommend for business attire that would also work with suits?  I generally prefer the lighter brown colors (walnut or possibly natural) or at the darkest bourbon.  I was considering a pair of PA's but that doesn't seem too exciting.  

My local retailer also has Dalton's firsts for $299 so I'll be adding a pair of those as well but more for casual wear. 

You're off to a great start. I'd go either dark brown or merlot next. If you dress relatively formally, go with a balmoral like the McAllister. If more casually, a MacNeil or Leeds. Either looks good, though I'd lean to the McAllister for merlot.
post #54397 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh1n View Post

hey guys pretty new to the forum and thought i'd post in this massive thread about AE instead of creating a new thread

just bought my first Allen Edmonds shoe (Kenilworth) and it fits fine except for some flaring/gapping around the ankle. I wore it around the house for a few min and there's already a crease around the ankle area because of this. It's obvious even when I'm standing straight and not moving. It's a size 9D (I've always worn 9 for dress shoes and 10 for sneakers) and the shoes don't seem to fit too large because I don't feel my feet moving or slipping when I walk.I guess it could be a little bit more snug but then it might feel stiff.

Is gapping around the ankle normal or can this be a defect? Should I go for a smaller shoe size (8.5) or go for a more narrow size 9?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Most people tend to go down a half size in the 65 last...I have no experience with Kenilworth per say but big ankle bowing usually means poor fit or shoe just is not right for you.
If you read the reviews on the AE site, the shoe was notorious for "bowing," as this phenomenon is called. Mine also do, even though they fit perfectly. I still love them smile.gif

It's not w defect from your shoe, but a characteristic trait of the particular model. Probably one of the reasons it was discontinued, despite being relatively popular.

Come to think if it, some of my other 5 last shoes also bow a little: park ave, strand. But not jefferson, Ardsley park, McAllister, or mctavish. Hmm, go figure.
post #54398 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post



If you read the reviews on the AE site, the shoe was notorious for "bowing," as this phenomenon is called. Mine also do, even though they fit perfectly. I still love them smile.gif

It's not w defect from your shoe, but a characteristic trait of the particular model. Probably one of the reasons it was discontinued, despite being relatively popular.

Come to think if it, some of my other 5 last shoes also bow a little: park ave, strand. But not jefferson, Ardsley park, McAllister, or mctavish. Hmm, go figure.


The bowing has to do with the fit of the shoe based on that particular last.  I have a bunch of 65-last shoes, Park Ave, McTavish, Neumok, and I have no bowing with any of them whatsoever.  Went down 0.5 size in length.  In other lasts,  like the 97, I do get a little bit of bowing.  Have never tried the Kenilworth though.

post #54399 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post


The bowing has to do with the fit of the shoe based on that particular last.  I have a bunch of 65-last shoes, Park Ave, McTavish, Neumok, and I have no bowing with any of them whatsoever.  Went down 0.5 size in length.  In other lasts,  like the 97, I do get a little bit of bowing.  Have never tried the Kenilworth though.

5 last fits me perfectly in the heel and ball, but the sides of my foot taper in drastically, and are quite narrow relative to my foot's overall width. The Kenilworth derby has really low scooped sides, which make it more noticeable.

But insofar as a RTW shoe can fit my supremely odd feet, the 5 last does very well.
post #54400 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post



Until Friday. I'm going to brave the underside of the interstate and try to make it to Gladys Knight's.

 



Sorry, I didn't see this post. Mary Mac's Tea Room in the same area is also a great southern choice. Lately a few of my friends and I have been picking different BBQ joints about once or twice a month to try out. We always have our favorites but sticking to trying new places. We went to Smoke Ring last night and it was decent. Daddy D'z has probably been one of our favorite but a little further south. Do you need walking distance places?

AE's newest store is in Buckhead and a bit larger than the other. Its also near some nice restaurants and a new shopping/living center. Its about a miles walk from the Buckhead Marta station. So not bad if you don't have a rental. Heck even Paul G walked there from his hotel smile.gif which was near the Marta station.
post #54401 of 70737
Rush Streets this morning


Chris
post #54402 of 70737

Anybody got a pair of the Long Branches in Distressed Teak? Would love to see a real-life pic. I've got them in CXL and love them. It's a great, great boot for winter weather. Shoebank has the Distressed Teak for $157, which is such a ridiculously good price that I'm tempted to nab a second pair.

post #54403 of 70737

Man I need Jos Bank to run another sale.  I need more shoe trees...

post #54404 of 70737

Speaking of Jos A Bank -- does the Boardroom have a roomier toe area than the Park Avenue? Also, what's the lowest price has the Boardroom been on Jos A Bank?

post #54405 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

Speaking of Jos A Bank -- does the Boardroom have a roomier toe area than the Park Avenue? Also, what's the lowest price has the Boardroom been on Jos A Bank?

It was like 230 for 6 months. Back up now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...