or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3620  

post #54286 of 70737
^
I wouldn't say it's "ugly" when compared to the vast majority of mens dress shoes. The thing that bugs me with the 5th ave. and most AEs are how long the vamp is. It's like a long turned up nose on an otherwise beautiful girl.
Since this is the AE appreciation thread, I will say I appreciate the Macneil and Kenwood. Both of which definitely look like what an "old uncle or grandfather would wear".
post #54287 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I might get flamed for this but am I the only one who regrets buying the fifth avenue in black? I have the brooks brother version but I'm going to be honest, it's not a sleek shoe, it looks like something my old uncle or grand father would wear. I rarely wear it because despite being a very comfortable shoe I find it ugly.

I was wearing my chili today and thought hey this is really sleek. Should I get the lasalle in black? Or maybe the caryle? Or am I doomed to think Black dress shoes are boring because I made a bad purchase?

Flame suit on. Come at me bro's:slayer:

Hey no worries you don't like them that is fine....I said I didn't like alden longwing in the Alden thread and survived...trust me that's a lot more scary than bashing the fifth ave...biggrin.gif
post #54288 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I might get flamed for this but am I the only one who regrets buying the fifth avenue in black? I have the brooks brother version but I'm going to be honest, it's not a sleek shoe, it looks like something my old uncle or grand father would wear. I rarely wear it because despite being a very comfortable shoe I find it ugly.

I was wearing my chili today and thought hey this is really sleek. Should I get the lasalle in black? Or maybe the caryle? Or am I doomed to think Black dress shoes are boring because I made a bad purchase?

Flame suit on. Come at me bro's:slayer:

 

I found this sort of interesting.  I almost always wear black shoes and wanted to have at least one that was really more dress formal.  I tried on the Park Ave, Fifth Ave, Strand and Jefferson all in black, back last Nov.  Going in, I was almost thinking why even waste my time, the Jefferson will be a sure thing.  Ha - when I saw it on in the mirror, wow, I had that same kind of reaction - like this is something only someone as old as Jefferson would wear :) Disappointing since it was super comfortable (the independence line really was superior).  Tried the Strand and thought, ok, looks better than the Jefferson (more polished flashy finish vs. matte finish) but still looked like old man shoes.  Moved onto the Fifth Ave and thought it was a step in the right direction but still too old looking.  Never thought I would end up with the plain jane Park Ave but that's what I got.  I think the Strand and Fifth Ave look great in all the different shades of brown, but completely agree with you, the black just doesn't work for me either.

post #54289 of 70737
I have the Jefferson in black. They're fantastic, but I do end up wearing my black neumoras more often, I guess.

The black Rutledge looks fantastic.
post #54290 of 70737
I had been one of the ones who had been concerned about AE's rapidly diminishing value proposition in light of recent quality control issues and the accompanying price hikes in its shoe prices. But it is of some consolation that the price hikes appear to be warranted as there has apparently been an unannounced cow shortage for the past few years in the U.S., resulting in a dearth of leather supply. It all makes sense now, and restores a little faith that I have in AE that their motives arent completely profit driven.
post #54291 of 70737
Damn vegans. First it's shortage of horse, now it's cows.

We have to eat more meat guys. In a few years will all end up wearing synthetics.

Of course there is always always baby llama, peccary and other exotics from the higher end shoe makers. Hehe.
post #54292 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Damn vegans. First it's shortage of horse, now it's cows.

We have to eat more meat guys. In a few years will all end up wearing synthetics.

Of course there is always always baby llama, peccary and other exotics from the higher end shoe makers. Hehe.

I've been eating a lot of steak, but thinking crocodile meat might be the next big thing for me.
post #54293 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I might get flamed for this but am I the only one who regrets buying the fifth avenue in black? I have the brooks brother version but I'm going to be honest, it's not a sleek shoe, it looks like something my old uncle or grand father would wear. I rarely wear it because despite being a very comfortable shoe I find it ugly.

I was wearing my chili today and thought hey this is really sleek. Should I get the lasalle in black? Or maybe the caryle? Or am I doomed to think Black dress shoes are boring because I made a bad purchase?

Flame suit on. Come at me bro's:slayer:

 

Maybe not ugly, but its very plain in black.  Cap broguing is lost in the black.  I wouldn't buy it, but thats my opinion.  

 

It comes down to how you wear it, or are "expected to wear it".  If you are a younger guy (which I assume you are) and have the need to wear a black shoe, something with more details or a better looking more chiseled last would probably work better for you.    

 

If I'm going to wear a black shoe (being 31 yrs old) and knowing that I am never invited to a "proper black tie affair", I'm wearing whatever I want.  Being black it won't be a "look at me shoe", but you'll be a lot happier with what you wear.  

We all know 95+% of the people at a given event won't be analyzing your shoes anyways....

post #54294 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin782 View Post

I had been one of the ones who had been concerned about AE's rapidly diminishing value proposition in light of recent quality control issues and the accompanying price hikes in its shoe prices. But it is of some consolation that the price hikes appear to be warranted as there has apparently been an unannounced cow shortage for the past few years in the U.S., resulting in a dearth of leather supply. It all makes sense now, and restores a little faith that I have in AE that their motives arent completely profit driven.
I don't see a problem with AE being profit-driven. If there is a clear demand for their product (and there seems to be, as they've been experiencing growing pains), then they absolutely should increase price to what the market will bear. It can only be good for American manufacturing to have this company be as profitable as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Damn vegans. First it's shortage of horse, now it's cows.

We have to eat more meat guys. In a few years will all end up wearing synthetics.

Of course there is always always baby llama, peccary and other exotics from the higher end shoe makers. Hehe.

My brother and sister in law are super strict vegans. I respect their commitment, but they won't wear leather, silk, or even wool under any circumstances.
post #54295 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCal View Post

Maybe not ugly, but its very plain in black.  Cap broguing is lost in the black.  I wouldn't buy it, but thats my opinion.  

It comes down to how you wear it, or are "expected to wear it".  If you are a younger guy (which I assume you are) and have the need to wear a black shoe, something with more details or a better looking more chiseled last would probably work better for you.    

If I'm going to wear a black shoe (being 31 yrs old) and knowing that I am never invited to a "proper black tie affair", I'm wearing whatever I want.  Being black it won't be a "look at me shoe", but you'll be a lot happier with what you wear.  
We all know 95+% of the people at a given event won't be analyzing your shoes anyways....
.

I'm 32. You're right, I never really go to black tie affairs and what not. I don't wear a suit to work and when I do wear a suit to say a wedding or a formal function, I have dark brown to walnut colors.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get away without owning a black pair since I don't wear suits for work
post #54296 of 70737
@7_rocket, I am anti Park Ave and fifth Ave. Something about the cap. I have three pairs of black shoes out of 16 pairs, a cap toe on a soft chisel last, single monk strap and medallion toe. Black has its place and can look sharp, but best to pick a show where the shape and style has some character since the color doesn't. Adding a high shine to the toe also helps make it pop.

Edit: I'm 26 and work in financial consulting. I wear a suit maybe once a month.
post #54297 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

I've been eating a lot of steak, but thinking crocodile meat might be the next big thing for me.
I heard peccary is a distant cousin of the pig. Shouldn't veer from pork taste I assume. Need to put that on the menu too. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

My brother and sister in law are super strict vegans. I respect their commitment, but they won't wear leather, silk, or even wool under any circumstances.
Of course I was only joking wrt blaming vegans for the shortage of leather :-)

I too respect the decisions made by folks like your brother and sister in law. Not only do they "give up" eating meat but I can imagine the difficulty they have when they travel or even eat out. Really takes a lot of commitment.

I personally just won't, can't give up eating pork. I lived in Qatar for a year and living without bacon and other porky goodness made me realize pork is my preferred meat. I always thought before that assignment that beef was my favorite meat.
post #54298 of 70737
Walnut grain MacNeils to start the work week.


Chris
post #54299 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Walnut grain MacNeils to start the work week.


Chris
Great shoes! Can't wait for them to bring back "khaki" grain leather. Socks are serious too. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

I heard peccary is a distant cousin of the pig. Shouldn't veer from pork taste I assume. Need to put that on the menu too. Lol.
Of course I was only joking wrt blaming vegans for the shortage of leather :-)

I too respect the decisions made by folks like your brother and sister in law. Not only do they "give up" eating meat but I can imagine the difficulty they have when they travel or even eat out. Really takes a lot of commitment.

I personally just won't, can't give up eating pork. I lived in Qatar for a year and living without bacon and other porky goodness made me realize pork is my preferred meat. I always thought before that assignment that beef was my favorite meat.
Me too. We eat meat maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Not a lot, but try to source from good quality local and sustainable farms. But yeah, can't give it up, especially the way my wife cooks!

I also couldn't give up wearing wool clothes or leather shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

.

I'm 32. You're right, I never really go to black tie affairs and what not. I don't wear a suit to work and when I do wear a suit to say a wedding or a formal function, I have dark brown to walnut colors.

Hmm, I wonder if I can get away without owning a black pair since I don't wear suits for work

I got my black neumoras for 125$ in August 2013 from the JVille outlet, and they're my most worn and most comfy AEs smile.gif
post #54300 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

Hmm, I wonder if I can get away without owning a black pair since I don't wear suits for work

 

I'm 38, and I don't have a black pair of dress shoes. I just don't need them, as I don't wear suits for work and don't need to go conservative in my dress. It'd be nice to have a pair, sure, but it'd be nice to have lots of different shoes. I'd just rather have shoes that would actually get worn. I don't have so much money that I can afford to spend money on a pair that will sit in the closet and never be worn.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...