or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3594  

post #53896 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post

Need some advice on this peculiar issue with the new Bleecker street. it's on the right shoe at the base of the tongue .
I tried 2 different pair but both had the same issue . The shoe fits well though I think there is some extra volume in there (9.5EEE) but can't figure out the real issue. This could have been my first dressier chukka..

Any help is appreciated-


My bleecker streets do the same thing. I had an 11e that was pinching my pinky toes so went to an 11.5e which feel better. But both sizes had that wrinkle, though not as extensive as yours. Sorry I don't have any advice, but you're not alone.

Do you have a low instep? I think that might be my problem. A lot of my bluchers have pretty close eye stays when I lace them tight enough.
post #53897 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post

Are you talking about that one tiny divot on the welt?

If so... facepalm.gif

If you would have rubbed an insignificant amount of brown polish on it, you wouldn't even know it was there in the first place.

I should not be making at-home corrections after delivery on $400 shoes
post #53898 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post

While we're on the sole topic. Is there a nice visual anywhere that shows all the different sole options from AE? Like a side-by-side comparison sort of thing? I looked around on their site, but didn't seen anything quickly. Wondering if there was something shown in an old catalog.

Check out the first page of the AE MTO thread.
post #53899 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
 

Also, if I may... **** Alden.  That piece of shit company will never get my business.

 

Needless to say, I've had a few negative experiences with them, lack of responses, etc.  My latest, was directly with a salesman in one of their stores.  Started off ok, I was looking at a pair of cordovan chukkas in #8, so we discussed the shoes a little.  Then, he asked me what I usually wear and I told him I've been wearing nothing but AE for the past several years.  The next 15 minutes inside the store consisted of essentially tearing apart AE, how the company isn't a true american company anymore, how their multi-model saturation is decreasing their value, and how they aren't a real shoe company anymore because they offer clothing and accessories as well.  Also stated that they get low end leather compared to what Horween provided to Alden.

 

Needless to say, I told him to **** off.  If that is his selling point, ripping apart other companies that I support who are in a completely different price range and are not exactly equal competitors, I want nothing to do with them.  ***** ****.

 

End rant.

 

My friend, I am sorry that you had a bad experience at an Alden shop. I must say that it is funny that you bring this up, as I had the complete flip-side of the coin experience. I went to the Allen Edmonds shop in Reston wearing my Alden Color 8 Leisure Hand Sewns, and as soon as the associate figured out they were Alden's, I got a lengthy lecture on how AE is better and how it is an atrocity that Alden or anyone else would still use steal shanks in their shoes. Just an alternative perspective. I personally, do not allow the input of one sales associate to sway my impression of an entire company. However, alike you, I believe that associates should sell products based upon their merits and not by talking down other products.

 

I also want to mention that AE does not compete (price wise) with Alden in the Calf Market, but they do compete (price wise) in the Shell Cordovan market, which is typically my focus area.

 

-Mike

post #53900 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post

I should not be making at-home corrections after delivery on $400 shoes

You evidently have very unrealistic expectations with AE. Doubly so considering that start/stop welt mark is normal and standard on most of their shoes.
post #53901 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

My friend, I am sorry that you had a bad experience at an Alden shop. I must say that it is funny that you bring this up, as I had the complete flip-side of the coin experience. I went to the Allen Edmonds shop in Reston wearing my Alden Color 8 Leisure Hand Sewns, and as soon as the associate figured out they were Alden's, I got a lengthy lecture on how AE is better and how it is an atrocity that Alden or anyone else would still use steal shanks in their shoes. Just an alternative perspective. I personally, do not allow the input of one sales associate to sway my impression of an entire company. However, alike you, I believe that associates should sell products based upon their merits and not by talking down other products.

I also want to mention that AE does not compete (price wise) with Alden in the Calf Market, but they do compete (price wise) in the Shell Cordovan market, which is typically my focus area.

-Mike

Mike, I know your General thing is shell, but do you own any alden calf? The alden thread is mainly focused on shell, suede, and CXL.

How would you say that the finishing compares to AE?

I know they are priced similar to Carmina and Church's, a little cheaper than CJ...
Edited by peppercorn78 - 1/9/15 at 4:36pm
post #53902 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


My friend, I am sorry that you had a bad experience at an Alden shop. I must say that it is funny that you bring this up, as I had the complete flip-side of the coin experience. I went to the Allen Edmonds shop in Reston wearing my Alden Color 8 Leisure Hand Sewns, and as soon as the associate figured out they were Alden's, I got a lengthy lecture on how AE is better and how it is an atrocity that Alden or anyone else would still use steal shanks in their shoes. Just an alternative perspective. I personally, do not allow the input of one sales associate to sway my impression of an entire company. However, alike you, I believe that associates should sell products based upon their merits and not by talking down other products.

I also want to mention that AE does not compete (price wise) with Alden in the Calf Market, but they do compete (price wise) in the Shell Cordovan market, which is typically my focus area.

-Mike

To complete the spectrum of experiences, I wore my natural CXL Indys into The Shoe Bank and was complimented on them by two different associates, with one knowing full well who made them.
post #53903 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

You evidently have very unrealistic expectations with AE. Doubly so considering that start/stop welt mark is normal and standard on most of their shoes.

These will be my sixth pair, two of which are seconds, and none of them have said mark. Can I tell where the welt ends on the other pair? Yes, of course, but none of them have a gash.
post #53904 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

You evidently have very unrealistic expectations with AE. Doubly so considering that start/stop welt mark is normal and standard on most of their shoes.

But the problem is that he is exactly the sort of guy that AE is trying to reach: a customer who is used to paying much less for much lesser shoes. This is Paul's stated objective: to convert customers of Cole Haan, Calvin Klein, Ecco, Bostonian, etc.

It's not unreasonable for him to expect to be "wowed." And I think that's why AE CS goes to such lengths to make sure customers are happy.

Those familiar with higher end brands have different standards and expectations.
post #53905 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

You evidently have very unrealistic expectations with AE. Doubly so considering that start/stop welt mark is normal and standard on most of their shoes.

These will be my sixth pair, two of which are seconds, and none of them have said mark. Can I tell where the welt ends on the other pair? Yes, of course, but none of them have a gash.

Then you have incredible luck.
post #53906 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

But the problem is that he is exactly the sort of guy that AE is trying to reach: a customer who is used to paying much less for much lesser shoes. This is Paul's stated objective: to convert customers of Cole Haan, Calvin Klein, Ecco, Bostonian, etc.

It's not unreasonable for him to expect to be "wowed." And I think that's why AE CS goes to such lengths to make sure customers are happy.

Those of us familiar with higher end brands have different standards and expectations.

While I am not exactly that guy, I am close. If someone is buying their first pair of nice shoes, and has been going back and forth on spending such a big chunk of change, they will not be happy if after their first big purchase they find something like this - thinking "I dropped 400 for this?"

I'm not upset at all, I understand how these things work and how these shoes are made. If the mark had been colored in by AE personnel I probably wouldn't care and would keep them (save for the odd bubbles on the other shoe). On all of my other pairs, the welt mark does not creep over the top of the welt and down onto the heel, that is what's throwing me.

I can't exactly remember, but I do believe this is only my second AE purchase online. The other purchases I was obviously able to inspect them in person.
post #53907 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


But the problem is that he is exactly the sort of guy that AE is trying to reach: a customer who is used to paying much less for much lesser shoes. This is Paul's stated objective: to convert customers of Cole Haan, Calvin Klein, Ecco, Bostonian, etc.

It's not unreasonable for him to expect to be "wowed." And I think that's why AE CS goes to such lengths to make sure customers are happy.

Those familiar with higher end brands have different standards and expectations.


The truth is that the AE shoes "out of the box" don't look much better (and are sometimes worse) than the completely machine made, shiny leather, corrected grain shoes that Haan, CK, Ecco, etc exhibit.  The difference really only swings toward AE after 6 months to a year - those other brands are starting to look worn and beat up, while AE is just hitting it's stride.  Not sure how you could capitalize on that though..... Speaking for myself, I walk a lot (a LOT), and I was tired of chewing through Ecco's in less than a year.  You wear out the sole on those guys and there's no recourse - you have to buy new shoes.  I came to AE to get off the whole "disposable" aspect of modern shoes. 

 

Maybe the AE stores should have 1 year old well worn shoes of all their competitors and a 1 year old pair of AE's to make it more visible to people? 

post #53908 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyort1 View Post



Maybe the AE stores should have 1 year old well worn shoes of all their competitors and a 1 year old pair of AE's to make it more visible to people? 

That is a really good idea.
post #53909 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyort1 View Post


Maybe the AE stores should have 1 year old well worn shoes of all their competitors and a 1 year old pair of AE's to make it more visible to people? 

Last time i visited my local AE store, they had a new demo pair of half finished shoes. They had no soles attached, so you could see the construction inside, it was pretty neat really. They also have re-craft samples, pre and post the re-sole process. I do think these samples go a long way in helping the neophyte understand some of the basics of longer lasting GYW shoes...
post #53910 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyort1 View Post


The truth is that the AE shoes "out of the box" don't look much better (and are sometimes worse) than the completely machine made, shiny leather, corrected grain shoes that Haan, CK, Ecco, etc exhibit

I actually don't find this to be one bit true, but then again I'm not a novice. I suppose it's possible that people who are used to buying cheap shoes might not immediately notice the difference visually.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...