or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3582  

post #53716 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM View Post


The problem is my local AE store rarely has shell and the shoe banks Cambridge is in new York. I am in New Orleans. The MTO would be on the same last as the shoe banks Cambridge. I've heard shell fits slightly different and I want an MTO shell strand.

I may give the outlet store a call and tell them my situation and see what they say.

 

 

I don't think there is a problem with what you want to do.  I've ordered and returned many, many shoes from/to Shoebank. 

 

However, if you want an MTO, I suggest you work with Allison.  I believe she will send you shoes to try-on to nail down your size with no shipping costs.  They will hold a deposit until the shoes are returned.  I don't think the outlets can do that.

post #53717 of 70737

Finally picked up some Chromexcel Rush Streets for $227 from my local store.  I've been wanting a pair since they came out.

 

Also, I think I'm going to be listing my Chili Strands and Brown Park Avenues up on eBay soon since I never wear them.

post #53718 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

Second wear on the Burgundy Dundees. Man I love these boots. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Awesome. This morning, at about the time you posted this, I was at AE ordering mine. I pined over pictures of burgundy and brown Dundees for a few days before choosing burgundy, and I'm still struggling with the decision.

Was there a lot of factory polish on them out of the box? I'm wondering how much post-delivery de-gooping is required.

Chili Shaker Heights at the store. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif



post #53719 of 70737
They are not as bad as the Daltons that I received in the past. I did not do much after receiving them, just a light code of vsc, then buff and wear. I embrace the goop.
Nice looking shakers. Are you trading in your Christmas presents (that your wife got you) for the Dundees? Or is it a post holiday present to yourself?
post #53720 of 70737
Awesome, thanks. Congrats on those beautiful shoes, I cannot wait for mine. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

edit -
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

Nice looking shakers. Are you trading in your Christmas presents (that your wife got you) for the Dundees? Or is it a post holiday present to yourself?

Happy Holidays to me. Past a certain point even considering the trade seemed foolish to the point of potential insult, and while I am fortunate to have a very accommodating and understanding wife ...I'm not dumb enough to roll that dice.

So I took the option off the table by wearing both pairs out and about, and I'm glad I did. I really like the Flatirons as a dressier derby shoe, and the Neumoks are fun. New Years Eve:



My wife loved the "festive" combo. While it felt a bit clowny with the red laces, there were people at the NYE party wearing festive adult onesies so I did not feel particularly ...over-festivized.
Edited by CMT1 - 1/5/15 at 1:35pm
post #53721 of 70737
Broke out the Snuff Suede Gobis for the first time today. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are out of the box!

post #53722 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post

Broke out the Snuff Suede Gobis for the first time today. I'm amazed at how comfortable they are out of the box!

 

What did you think of the sizing, @fiddlestyx? Did you stay at your regular size or drop down? I was planning on either going a half size smaller or dropping down a width. The SA recommended not dropping down, but they seem a little big for my taste.

 

When I inquired about the relative fit compared to the Amok I was given the last speech ("every last is different, best way to ensure proper fit,...") and then told the that the Amok fit wide and long (both of which I find to be exactly opposite of how they fit me) so I certainly shouldn't size down. 

 

Wish I had stuck with my gut and the info here on SF.

post #53723 of 70737

Speaking of recent orders... I am pretty frustrated with quality control issues. I have now sent back my last 4 purchases from the shoebank.

 

After one wear, my fullertons developed waving of the cork bed and what I think was a couple of nails starting to poke up. I was told there was an irregularity, they could not be repaired, and since there were no more in stock, I was credited.

 

Then came some Eagle Rivers. Warehouse said they looked great - but I was just not impressed at all with the craftsmanship, even for 2nds. Sent them back and will likely just eat the $10 restocking fee.

 

Decided to order some Gobis. SA said they looked good while on the phone. Turns out neither liner was glued to the footbed properly. Shipped them back, received a new pair. With the second pair, there is a gap between the footbed and inside of the heel large enough for your finger. On the other shoe you can almost put 2 fingers in the gap. Back I go to UPS to drop off another pair.

 

Customer service, after the fact, has been great! Probably among the best of any company I have ever dealt with. Still it is rather frustrating and time consuming to drop them off (not to mention the one time I went to UPS, only to find I was sent a Fedex return label, when all the others have been UPS). Surely this isn't the norm, even from the shoebank, right? 

 

My recent AE shoe addiction no likey...

post #53724 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

Speaking of recent orders... I am pretty frustrated with quality control issues. I have now sent back my last 4 purchases from the shoebank.

After one wear, my fullertons developed waving of the cork bed and what I think was a couple of nails starting to poke up. I was told there was an irregularity, they could not be repaired, and since there were no more in stock, I was credited.

Then came some Eagle Rivers. Warehouse said they looked great - but I was just not impressed at all with the craftsmanship, even for 2nds. Sent them back and will likely just eat the $10 restocking fee.

Decided to order some Gobis. SA said they looked good while on the phone. Turns out neither liner was glued to the footbed properly. Shipped them back, received a new pair. With the second pair, there is a gap between the footbed and inside of the heel large enough for your finger. On the other shoe you can almost put 2 fingers in the gap. Back I go to UPS to drop off another pair.

Customer service, after the fact, has been great! Probably among the best of any company I have ever dealt with. Still it is rather frustrating and time consuming to drop them off (not to mention the one time I went to UPS, only to find I was sent a Fedex return label, when all the others have been UPS). Surely this isn't the norm, even from the shoebank, right? 

My recent AE shoe addiction no likey...

Sadly seconds are crapshoots to a degree...I have only ever gotten packpackages from fedex through ae...

Do you have a single rep you deal with? Or do you call the store directly that lists it....I use one rep and he does all of my QC for me...every so often he misses something but not often...for the Gobi for example unless you missed the sale a few weeks ago why buy second when firsts where only 50 bucks more?

I have bought and sold probably 20+ pairs of seconds and only have had to return two due issues...now some I have sold privately do to fit but ththat's not AE fault.

Deal with one rep if poss.
post #53725 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Took out my sand suede amoks for its maiden voyage and I can't believe how comfortable unlined suede shoes are. I thought id be in trouble because the last used for these is pretty narrow. Glad to be wrong.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
5ffb668a6e8fa9315cecd17baf91a695.jpg
622671a4f51b5ad82c44584f2f048ed0.jpg


Those look really nice! Reminds me that years ago I used to have some suede shoes in that color and I loved them. That is until I was in a hurry one day leaving a store and it was raining that day and the next thing I knew i was on my butt! Found out the hard way the soles were slippery when wet and never wore them again.

How does a 2 eyelet chukka hold? It doesn't look too secure (although my 3 eyelet bleeckers seem to be ok)
post #53726 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Sadly seconds are crapshoots to a degree...

Deal with one rep if poss.

Great suggestion. I have dealt primarily with one rep or the warehouse for all but one order (which arrived great but developed issue after one wearing). If I was dealing with appearance flaws I'd be completely satisfied, but these have been structural in nature.

Oh well. I'll keep trying - once the frustration subsides.
post #53727 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

What did you think of the sizing, @fiddlestyx
? Did you stay at your regular size or drop down? I was planning on either going a half size smaller or dropping down a width. The SA recommended not dropping down, but they seem a little big for my taste.

When I inquired about the relative fit compared to the Amok I was given the last speech ("every last is different, best way to ensure proper fit,...") and then told the that the Amok fit wide and long (both of which I find to be exactly opposite of how they fit me) so I certainly shouldn't size down. 

Wish I had stuck with my gut and the info here on SF.

I wear a 7E in the 5 last (Strand and Macallister), although a little snug some days and ended up with a 7D in the Gobi, which fits perfectly. I was originally told to try a half size up by my SA due to having a small, wide foot but the 7.5D was too large.

Hope that helps!
post #53728 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post

Those look really nice! Reminds me that years ago I used to have some suede shoes in that color and I loved them. That is until I was in a hurry one day leaving a store and it was raining that day and the next thing I knew i was on my butt! Found out the hard way the soles were slippery when wet and never wore them again.

How does a 2 eyelet chukka hold? It doesn't look too secure (although my 3 eyelet bleeckers seem to be ok)
Haha hope to not land in my butt in these. I prefer 3 eyelets but the 2 eyelet ain't bad. I have a pretty high instep so even 2 eyelet is still pretty snug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Beautiful.  The contrast stitching really makes it work.  I'm not a loafer guy but I would wear those in a heartbeat.
Thanks! I used to shy away away from tassels as well until I got my first one. Now I think I have 5 :-)
post #53729 of 70737

Hello,

 

I've had several satisfactory purchases of AE factory seconds from shoebank.com.  Recently I scored a pair of grey Daltons for $200, which is an awesome price, but they turn out to be structurally defective - the left shoe's eyestays are uneven, making the shoelaces appear lopsided (see pics below).

 

Give the great price, I am leaning towards keeping them, and hoping that they won't cause foot problems or break down faster down the road.  The shoes fit well and aren't uncomfortable.  If that a recommended course of action?

 

 

 

Thanks!

 

Luke

post #53730 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcuan82 View Post

Hello,

I've had several satisfactory purchases of AE factory seconds from shoebank.com.  Recently I scored a pair of grey Daltons for $200, which is an awesome price, but they turn out to be structurally defective - the left shoe's eyestays are uneven, making the shoelaces appear lopsided (see pics below).

Give the great price, I am leaning towards keeping them, and hoping that they won't cause foot problems or break down faster down the road.  The shoes fit well and aren't uncomfortable.  If that a recommended course of action?







Thanks!

Luke
This is a pretty common problem for AE bluchers, even for firsts. You could actually try a different lacing pattern to correct the alignment.

I don't think it will cause you any foot problems however if the look bothers you that much you should return it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...