Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 2:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3517post #52742 of 7073712/6/14 at 11:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by LanceM
Work christmas party. Broke out the candy cane laces with the Jeffersons.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Lance, those are great looking shoes!!! I really like the burnishing on that Walnut.post #52743 of 7073712/7/14 at 5:53amQuote:
Generally speaking, the US and UK sizing systems work by (1) turning your foot length into shoe sizes, and (2) then add a special number. That special number used to be the allowance - the space between your toes and the tip of the shoe. The meaning got a little bit lost when shoe making turned into an industry, but the effect is the same.
The AE sizing guide uses 2 units but people find shoes fit better when using 1.5 units, on average. This is where the suggestion comes from: A common measurement device may show US 8.5 but US 8 / UK 7 would be a better reference, on average.
In other words, when you're buying shoes close to your reference size, the length of the shoes is correct. This what shoe sizes are for, to ensure the correct length.
Whether shoes will feel comfortable is another matter, since this depends on the last and its width. Sometimes people say even the model and its leather has an influence.
So, it depends on what you're trying to do.
post #52744 of 7073712/7/14 at 10:41ampost #52745 of 7073712/7/14 at 3:44pmQuote:
- If you're about to go to an AE store, then you should stick to US 8 and test different last/width combinations until you find something that feels comfortable.
- If you've already choosen a particular model (and last), you may need to deviate from US 8 as a reference to find a comfortable fit.
I have some issues with mine as well, also on the left shoe. The color varies right below the toe cap. As I buff them, the color variation gets worse. Also, the beading at toe on the left shoe is right at the tip of the shoe with some fraying.
Are these considered defects?post #52746 of 7073712/7/14 at 4:45pmpost #52747 of 7073712/7/14 at 6:36pmpost #52748 of 7073712/7/14 at 8:38pmQuote:
Hmm...so if I bought the Patriots in Cordovan on the Club Monaco Canadian site, they'd end up being under $398 USD. Hmmmmm..... That's shell at nearly 40% with the exchange rate and all.post #52749 of 7073712/7/14 at 10:04pmQuote:Thanks guys. I'll pick one up with something else to make the total order greater than $200. Boy, this amex 50 off 200 deal makes the slope to AE obsession even more slippery. I even asked my friends to use their cards to buy AE GCs for me.
Must resist:slayer:post #52750 of 7073712/8/14 at 1:53amI got the following advice from an Allen Edmonds store I contacted in New York about the fit of Shelton.
Can any other Shelton wearers out there confirm this?Quote:However, in terms of Shelton, if a customer fits in 8.5 Allen Edmonds with regular insole shoes we generally would start the fit from a 9 when a customer asks for Shelton.
Do the Sheltons generally run a bit tight?post #52751 of 7073712/8/14 at 4:54amQuote:Thanks! I really enjoy the burnishing as well. They add a wonderful contrast.
Aren't the laces great? I recieved many compliments on them.
Bourbon strands todaypost #52752 of 7073712/8/14 at 6:20ampost #52753 of 7073712/8/14 at 7:03amQuote:
That was my experience. I had Sheltons in the same size as 95% of my other AE shoes and they were very tight across the top of my foot towards the toes. It was so tight I ended up selling the shoes.
The Carlyle feels exactly like the Shelton when I tried them on at my local store.
Note: I have a relatively high instep and this likely contributed to the tightness.
Chrispost #52754 of 7073712/8/14 at 7:42ampost #52755 of 7073712/8/14 at 8:01am
Or you could buy a pair of Jingle Bell or Santa Moks
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 2 minutes ago
- › 10D Polo RL Whiskey Shell Cordovan Penny Loafers (USA) 2 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 5 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 10D C&J for Polo "Marlow" Brown Shell Cordovan Wingtips 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Three-color striped ties 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...