Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 3/18/17 at 7:27pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 3:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3504post #52546 of 7073711/30/14 at 12:46pmpost #52547 of 7073711/30/14 at 12:59pmpost #52548 of 7073711/30/14 at 1:28pmpost #52549 of 7073711/30/14 at 1:28pmpost #52550 of 7073711/30/14 at 1:49pmpost #52551 of 7073711/30/14 at 1:53pmpost #52552 of 7073711/30/14 at 1:57pmpost #52553 of 7073711/30/14 at 2:08pmpost #52554 of 7073711/30/14 at 2:15pmpost #52555 of 7073711/30/14 at 6:00pmQuote:Quote:
The primary difference is the construction and fundamental design. The Strand is a Balmoral, meaning it has a closed lace box and forms a very tight V from the front. The Sandord is a Blucher and has a more open lace area. The other differences essentially revolve are that difference in design/construction.
-Mikepost #52556 of 7073711/30/14 at 6:44pm
So I picked up by GMTO burgundy shell Strands. They are gorgeous! Exactly what I envisioned when I proposed this GMTO. Here they are:
They are VERY dark, but they are burgundy. I've noticed that AE's burgundy shell has gotten darker over the past few years. I have seven pairs of burgundy shell - you can see the difference:
- Bradley - at least 10 years old
- Lexington - about a year old. I've also stripped off as much gunk as I can.
- Dalton - Less than a year old. Stripped off a lot of gunk.
- Leeds - Probably 15 years old.
- Patriot - A couple of years old.
- MacNeil, black trim - 10 years? NOS.
- MacNeil, natural trim - a year old. These were sent back after redrafting because they were uneven. They came back darker than before.
- Strand - brand new. REALLY dark, almost black.
Here are all three pairs of my Strands:
Walnut calf, brwon shell, burgundy shell.post #52557 of 7073711/30/14 at 7:06pmpost #52558 of 7073711/30/14 at 7:06pmpost #52559 of 7073711/30/14 at 7:23pmQuote:It looks like some kind of spray finish. I noticed it on some Kenilworths I had done. You can see it was done a little splotchy here. Some of it even dripped over the edge. I lightened this photo considerably to illustrate, but IRL they looked as dark as those strands.post #52560 of 7073711/30/14 at 7:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by peppercorn78
It looks like some kind of spray finish. I noticed it on some Kenilworths I had done. You can see it was done a little splotchy here. Some of it even dripped over the edge. I lightened this photo considerably to illustrate, but IRL they looked as dark as those strands.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's really interesting. I am so curious about the new finish, if it makes them more Alden like I am all for it.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Suitsupply NYC 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 27 minutes ago
- › Question about Yoox sizing 39 minutes ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 44 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 54 minutes ago
- › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? 59 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...