or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3421  

post #51301 of 70737
The Fifth Street boot looks great, I regret not jumping on a pair when they were still available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

Got pics from the photographer yesterday. Took almost 2hrs to go through them all. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Who do you think is on SF out of these smile.gif


All finished up.


And the whole party.


The ceremony was on a point on a lake and it was very windy. A constant 10-15mph breeze which made for some interesting pictures and last minute switching sides at the alter so the women could be looking into the breeze (for hair purpose). Glad I used some hair spray for the first time in 15yrs or so.

There would have been some more aisle decorations and flower girl petals, but they would have lasted about 2secs with the wind we had. It gusted so hard it blew a few vases with water and flowers off the alter we had and shattered on the stone. Fortunately it was just during the seating of the parents/grandparents. Overall we wouldn't have changed a thing though.

Awesome. Just awesome. Congratulations my man! May you two enjoy many years of health, luck and happiness! colgate.gif
post #51302 of 70737

Gentlemen,

 

I'm going to order a pair of Natural Brown shell Dundees for the upcoming trunk sale.  What color edging and welt do you think is right for this shoe?  I'm thinking chili welt and light brown transparent edging.  I'm going with the double Jos R sole.

post #51303 of 70737

PSA: Jos A Bank Shoe Trees have hit their historical low at $7.50 per pair

 

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101593

 

Tree all your shoes! Trees for days!

post #51304 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

The Fifth Street boot looks great, I regret not jumping on a pair when they were still available.

These boots come back every fall/winter season and I got mine discounted directly from AE when they were clearing out their inventory near end of season.
post #51305 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStyle View Post

These boots come back every fall/winter season and I got mine discounted directly from AE when they were clearing out their inventory near end of season.

Very good to know, thank you IronStyle. I will be on the lookout!

Walnut Strands for me today. They are starting to show some shell roll from wear.





Of my three shell pairs, these hold the best shine without question. My brown shell Strands are close but never look quite as "wet," and it seems to be a challenge at times to eke a shine out of my burgundy Cambridge. I did use Alden Color #8 paste wax on the Cambridge and it glossed them up a bit, but nothing like the above walnut Strands.

Perhaps it's something inherent to the leather itself, as the walnut Strands still bloom, something the other two pairs do not.
post #51306 of 70737
Those are walnut?
post #51307 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Those are walnut?

They are. In pictures they always come out dark. This was fresh out of the box with flash:

post #51308 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

 

Very nice! 

 

I am debating on selling a pair in favor of the Alden LHS but these pics might change my mind.

 

How do you get such a great shine on all your shell?

Thanks, really wish I could tell you how I do it and have tried on here in the past to tell others. It is almost feel as much as anything....

 

Prefer to do it when they warm, soon as I take them off. I really wet them down good then quickly brush them moving the water around until it dries. I don't worry about a shine at that point just brush until the water is gone and they turn kind of dull. Then I slow down and work in small sections using the wrist like Mac says. Instead of long strokes like military boots I try to just use my wrist until it shines again. Then move to the next section. When done with brush I wad up a microfiber cloth and buff but they are usually pretty shinny by then already. Hope that helps.

 

As to the Patriot vs. LHS I would go with the one that fits best, at least I did. The Patriot is one of the few loafers that fit me well and my narrow heel doesn't slip out. I have them in Burgundy and Brown shell. Hmmm think the trunk show includes the Patriot?! But also the Dundee....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Hey Cold Iron, why B. Nelson and not AE for the recraft? B. Nelson did a beautiful job; just curious.

Hey KMD! I blame @rydenfan LOL. He posted a picture a ways back of a pair of Alden LHS that someone had sent to B. Nelson and had an antique sole put on. The look really hit me and I wanted it badly figuring the Patriot and LHS were close enough it would work for me too. I called AE recrafting first and they told me that they would only put the original color welt and soles on. So I went with B. Nelson instead, plus he could replicate the Alden antique welt on an AE shoe. After I had it done pepper posted that it depends on who you get in recrafting. If the first person says no modifications allowed then you can email or call again and try to get a different person that will allow it. Burzan was able to get the soles on his Leeds done and they are perfect IMO. Would have been nice if I could have too, but they turned out well in the end. Your right, it wasn't cheap. But to me they were worth it in the summer I wear them around the house and yard after work almost every day. Hope all is well BTW!

post #51309 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post


They are. In pictures they always come out dark. This was fresh out of the box with flash:


They certainly look fantastic but sprirpsingly darker than my Walnut Strands.  How long have you owned them?

post #51310 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1547 View Post


They certainly look fantastic but sprirpsingly darker than my Walnut Strands.  How long have you owned them?
I guess this is the variability of walnut shell that makes both Skip and Paul focus more on producing shell colors that are much more consistent. I can imagine some might return th for being too dark,

FWIW I'll take that color walnut too even if it's darker than the other walnut shells posted here.
post #51311 of 70737
Initially I definitely would have preferred a lighter hue. No doubt about that. Now I love the color, even if they aren't colossally different from my brown shell Strands, as my wardrobe can support both:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1547 View Post


They certainly look fantastic but sprirpsingly darker than my Walnut Strands.  How long have you owned them?




The original pics' .exif data says March 14 of this year, which was during a shell sale. I remember my sales rep was very surprised to see a size 11.5 D in the system and I ordered them in immediately. I almost did not buy them because they were so very different in color from the walnut calf Strands that originally brought me to Allen Edmonds, and I'm very glad that I did proceed with the purchase.

A substandard pic I took in the store as I marveled at the difference between the two "walnuts" while knowing little about the different leathers at the time:




I always felt they were dark for walnut shell, at least compared some of the photos I've seen online. This was after some VSC, also with a bounced flash:

post #51312 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post





The original pics' .exif data says March 14 of this year, which was during a shell sale. I remember my sales rep was very surprised to see a size 11.5 D in the system and I ordered them in immediately. I almost did not buy them because they were so very different in color from the walnut calf Strands that originally brought me to Allen Edmonds, and I'm very glad that I did proceed with the purchase.

A substandard pic I took in the store as I marveled at the difference between the two "walnuts" while knowing little about the different leathers at the time:




I always felt they were dark for walnut shell, at least compared some of the photos I've seen online. This was after some VSC, also with a bounced flash:

Thanks for sharing the photos.  They are real sharp, I like the color.  Adds some subtle variation that I think is unique.  Nice buy.

post #51313 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Initially I definitely would have preferred a lighter hue.

 

Maybe in Estoril? :shifty:

post #51314 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1547 View Post

Thanks for sharing the photos.  They are real sharp, I like the color.  Adds some subtle variation that I think is unique.  Nice buy.

Thank you Rob, I certainly dig them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post

Maybe in Estoril? :shifty:

Maybe, but I'd greatly prefer Carrara White. biggrin.gif
post #51315 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Very good to know, thank you IronStyle. I will be on the lookout!

Walnut Strands for me today. They are starting to show some shell roll from wear.





Of my three shell pairs, these hold the best shine without question. My brown shell Strands are close but never look quite as "wet," and it seems to be a challenge at times to eke a shine out of my burgundy Cambridge. I did use Alden Color #8 paste wax on the Cambridge and it glossed them up a bit, but nothing like the above walnut Strands.

Perhaps it's something inherent to the leather itself, as the walnut Strands still bloom, something the other two pairs do not.
I believe many of us have experienced a "break-in" period for "beating the shell into submission" with respect to AE's cordovan finish.

All credit to cold iron for that wisdom. My shell strands were cloudy and dull at first, but one year later, they look like this:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...