Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:15 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3400post #50987 of 7073710/22/14 at 6:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Roycru
A few weeks ago I got a pair of black Rutledges. I knew that the leather was different than the standard Allen-Edmonds leather, but I didn't know how much harder it would be to get a shine on the black Independence line leather. I will keep working on them until I get them as shiny as my other black AE shoes. I think that I am about half way to getting a good shine on them.......
Those look great! I ordered the Rutledge earlier this month and I'm anxious for their arrival. Are you using standard AE cream polish on the Independence-family leather or your own concoction?post #50988 of 7073710/22/14 at 6:42pmQuote:
1. AE Cleaner-Conditioner
2. AE Black Cream (the stuff in a jar)
3. AE Black Polish (the stuff in a tin)
4. Repeat Step 3 over and over.
post #50989 of 7073710/22/14 at 8:23pmpost #50990 of 7073710/22/14 at 8:37pmpost #50991 of 7073710/22/14 at 8:46pmQuote:
The rutledges are made of 'crust leather' i.e. leather without an extra layer of finish that is often needed to hide minor blemishes in lower grade leather (not full-on corrected grain, but a thinner top finish). To get the spit shine on independence leathers, you'll have to build the finish up with multiple layers of wax, much more so than on the mainline AE. I personally like the independence leathers and the accompanying matte shine.post #50992 of 7073710/22/14 at 10:46pmQuote:
I bought some Burgundy Shell McGraws off eBay that looked exactly like Brown Shell. I like yours even more, as they're much lighter than Brown. The real way to tell is compare the numbers inside the shoe with this list:post #50993 of 7073710/23/14 at 1:26am
I couldn't help but notice a bunch of shell cordovan models missing from the AAAC thread, so I decided to amend it with models from allenedmonds.com, shoebank.com, the outdated ShoeCareReference.pdf, various searches, and my own personal collection:
Model Burgundy Black Brown
Walnut Cognac Whiskey Bedford 4363 Bradley
Cambridge 8685 8605 8625 Chukka 8084 Clifton 3388 Cole 2461 Dalton 0181 0131 Dundee 3681 3611 3621 3671 Fairgate 1381 1311 1361 Grayson 8287 8387 Hamilton 5490 Heather 5868 Hinsdale 2884 Imperial 6748 Jefferson 7666 ? Kent 6858 Kenwood 44006 Leeds
9501 9651 MacNeil
9177 9007 McAllister 6285 McGraw 8984 9844 Norwich 2022 Park Avenue 5965 5805 5925 ? Patriot 4976 4916 4966 ? Polo
Randolph 4889 4899 Sanford
5227 Saratoga 8783 Scott 7748 Slater 9888 Strand 1645 ? 1655 Townley 2761(reused) Walton 2193 Westchester 1697
Please let me know anything I missed. Note that MTOs will often not have their own numbers, and instead reuse an existing one; my Burgundy Shell Kenilworths say 8005, which actually corresponds to Black Custom Calf.
If you have a Jefferson, I'd love to know it's code and whether you think it's Brown or Cappuccino/Truffle. Old seconds lists called 7666 "Brown Cordovan Jefferson", but I also see Jeffersons listed in a Cappuccino promo picture.
If you happen to own a lighter version of one that comes in multiple shades of brown (Dundee, Jefferson?, Park Avenue, Patriot, Strand), check to see whether maybe you got a Cappuccino/Truffle (synonymous) or Walnut one that was mislabeled as Brown and let us know.
Edited by kentyman - 10/26/14 at 7:06pmpost #50994 of 7073710/23/14 at 3:09ampost #50995 of 7073710/23/14 at 4:14amThis was my first AE buy.
Picked up the Bourbon McGregor off Shoe Bank for $210 last week, except it came in a half size big. Only have the budget for one AE right now.
Wondering if I should exchange and get in another color?? This is mostly for my business casual wear at work. So this will match up with my navy & charcoal pants, with an occasional sport coat to match...maybe pair with some jeans.
Edited by countrykid87 - 10/23/14 at 6:27ampost #50996 of 7073710/23/14 at 5:20ampost #50997 of 7073710/23/14 at 7:00ampost #50998 of 7073710/23/14 at 7:29ampost #50999 of 7073710/23/14 at 7:37ampost #51000 of 7073710/23/14 at 7:47amQuote:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That's a pretty color - reminds me of some of the Aldens I've been seeing lately. I'd wear it in the fall. Would that really be a faux pas?
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 24 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 41 seconds ago
- › White Tie To Prom? 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL LUGGAGE THREAD 9 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 10 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...