Recently purchased some burgundy shell penny loafers (AE of course) What's the verdict? Pennies, or no pennies? If so, what kind? Indian head, steel, birth year, shiny and clean, or well used? Or, possibly another coin? Merci Beaucoup!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3389post #50822 of 7073710/18/14 at 7:20pm
Hello all. Just took a delivery of BB Dark Brown Macneils in 8D from the Shoebank. I usually wear 8.5C in 4 last (i.e. Byron, my best fitting AE) and 5 last (i.e. Strand). I went with 8D, since they didn't have 8.5 C or 8.5 D. The shoe is a bit on the snug and shorter than usual side (my toes are close to the front), especially with thicker socks on. However, what bothers me the most is that the toe box is pretty tight, and I can't move my toes all that much. They are great shoes especially for the spring/fall period, and at $150, are a steal.
What is your vrdict?post #50823 of 7073710/18/14 at 7:32pmIf it doesn't fit don't bother....especially if tight. You just won't reach for them often. Does your foot spill over the insole? For me there is no shoe from AE I would ever size down from the 65 last length wise so I can imagine your toes are tight as can be.post #50824 of 7073710/18/14 at 7:36pmpost #50825 of 7073710/18/14 at 8:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by slimjohnil6
Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home. When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching. I think I must have a low instep. I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK. If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me. Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.
An AE fatigue fighter insert or similar might add to that gap.
And as Peppercorn78 said, they don't so much stretch as shape to your foot.
I missed entirely Kahuna's post...which obviously I second.post #50826 of 7073710/19/14 at 12:34amQuote:
The feet spill over a little, but not uncomfortably. The discomfort is in the toe box. There isn't much room there and I feel it. My big toe is right up against the top when I touch, and I feel a downward preasure from ball on.post #50827 of 7073710/19/14 at 12:36ampost #50828 of 7073710/19/14 at 4:23ampost #50829 of 7073710/19/14 at 4:54ampost #50830 of 7073710/19/14 at 5:45amQuote:
When you say "old burgundy" and "new burgundy," do you mean AE has changed the color they use, or just that time changes the appearance? Either way, the Park Aves look great.post #50831 of 7073710/19/14 at 6:02amQuote:Like others had said, if the shoes don't fit, definitely return them, even if they are a good price. It's a much bigger headache to get rid of them later.
Edited by YoungSweet - 10/19/14 at 8:20ampost #50832 of 7073710/19/14 at 6:37amQuote:Originally Posted by rostov
People have lightened black shoes like this and then redarkened them as another color. Often black shoes will have discolorations and issues with the leather that may appear if you attempt to lighten them. For that reason, you'd be advised to recolor them with another dark shade. Still, despite being black, this boot looks great in person, much better than in the photos.
Got the black calf Eagle County in as seconds, you were dead right! It's a shiny black, almost a charcoal color even after cream. The red contrast stitching and red Harrier sole look great. I'll keep them as-is.
Love these boots.
Edited by Denton - 10/19/14 at 7:53ampost #50833 of 7073710/19/14 at 6:59ampost #50834 of 7073710/19/14 at 7:40amQuote:
The Park avenues are old stock. At some point AE changed the finish on their burgundy shell. I think over time they would come to match each other.post #50835 of 7073710/19/14 at 7:45am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width) 9 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 9 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 13 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 15 minutes ago
- › 2016 MLB Season Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...