or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3388  

post #50806 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear?  The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine.  It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear!  One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

The bottoms were fine but I strike the heel and toes of my shoes very hard I guess. I actually had to replace the heels once as the rubber dovetail piece was wearing down to the sole. The toe then got close to the welt.

I wore them as beaters first since I got them as seconds for $129, but then they became one of my favorites. I spent more in the dainite conversion than I paid for the shoes!
post #50807 of 70737

Do you guys know if the Macneil and the Sanford fit the same? I believe they are on the same last but as we know not all shoes on the same last fit the same.

 

thanks.


Edited by ScottyBoy920 - 10/18/14 at 6:31am
post #50808 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear?  The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine.  It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear!  One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

The bottoms were fine but I strike the heel and toes of my shoes very hard I guess. I actually had to replace the heels once as the rubber dovetail piece was wearing down to the sole. The toe then got close to the welt.

I wore them as beaters first since I got them as seconds for $129, but then they became one of my favorites. I spent more in the dainite conversion than I paid for the shoes!

Funny how that works as my Addisons were bought as as a no warranty purchase do to prior owner slapping tongue pads in..the price was ridiculous low on the bay and they easily are my most worn shoe
post #50809 of 70737

Allen Edmonds catalogs from every year back to 1957.

 

Click on the year and scroll.

 

Probably has been posted before, but this was first I have seen it.

post #50810 of 70737
Hi Guys,

I have no exp. with Dainite soles and I keep hearing commnets about them being hard to break in etc., Comfort is priority for me , I have my eye on a casual makeup that comes with Dainite so will like to hear your opinons on comfort,grip etc.

TIA.
post #50811 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Hi Guys,

I have no exp. with Dainite soles and I keep hearing commnets about them being hard to break in etc., Comfort is priority for me , I have my eye on a casual makeup that comes with Dainite so will like to hear your opinons on comfort,grip etc.

TIA.

It's not a soft, squishy rubber comfort doke, that's for sure.

It wears slightly harder than JR leather, in my experience. Can feel slightly like walking on cleats until you've worn it down some.

Having said that, if you want a thin dress sole profile and need something that holds up to pavement and wet conditions better than leather (though it's not a particularly grippy rain or snow sole), then Dainite is cool. I have three pairs with them.
Edited by peppercorn78 - 10/18/14 at 12:00pm
post #50812 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

It's not a soft, squishy rubber comfort doke, that's for sure.

It wears slightly harder than JR leather, in my experience. Can feel slightly like walking on clears until you've worn it down some.

Having said that, if you want a thin dress sole profile and need something that holds up to pavement and wet conditions better than leather (though it's not a particularly grippy rain or snow sole), then Dainite is cool. I have three pairs with them.

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.
post #50813 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.

It's a little harder than the other mentioned soles. Especially crepe.
post #50814 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.

No, it's much harder than Vibram rubber. Not a comfort sole. More like a leather sole replacement.
post #50815 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post
 

Do you guys know if the Macneil and the Sanford fit the same? I believe they are on the same last but as we know not all shoes on the same last fit the same.

 

thanks.

1/2 size down for the macneil for me. 

post #50816 of 70737

Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home.  When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching.  I think I must have a low instep.  I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK.  If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me.  Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.

post #50817 of 70737
^how's the fit everywhere? Go narrower?
post #50818 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatszu View Post

^how's the fit everywhere? Go narrower?


The fit everywhere else is great.  Just the laced area is almost closed when laced up.  The area at the forefoot is fine though.

post #50819 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjohnil6 View Post

Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home.  When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching.  I think I must have a low instep.  I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK.  If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me.  Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.

They say shell really doesn't stretch. My own experience is that it really molds to your foot well. Wear them around the house on the carpet for a few times before making your final decision.
post #50820 of 70737
I have a pair of leeds that I put the AE ortho insert in and they feel great. Took a loose shoe and makes it fit great. That may help by raising your foot a bit.

Maybe even a mid thickness sock will help. My wife thinks I am even more of a moron now that I have three different thickness of socks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...