Whoa.... I had no idea that existed. How much is it going for?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/21/16 at 5:47am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/22/16 at 9:31am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 338post #5057 of 707375/6/12 at 8:22amQuote:Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon
I've been debating on which pair of boots to get since the winter and I still can't decide so I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight. I'm look at getting either the Dalton in dark brown, or the fifth street boot also in dark brown. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each boot? I'd be wearing them for business casual purposes (since I'm a student but always dress business casual). I live in Washington, DC so we get a fair amount of rain and some snow/slush in the winter so I need a boot that could withstand a little wet weather if I get stuck outside for an hour or two in rain.
Go for the blucher boot since it sounds like you'll be in a pretty laid back environment. A bal boot really works for more conservative environments (i.e., navy and dark gray suit uniforms) and they fit like a dress shoe. I have the Fifth Street and wear them to the office on days when the weather is slightly bad (the leather sole has decent traction). On worse days, I wear something similar to the Dalton (I have the C&J Islay with Dianite).post #5058 of 707375/6/12 at 8:33amQuote:Originally Posted by dsmivtr
Go for the blucher boot since it sounds like you'll be in a pretty laid back environment. A bal boot really works for more conservative environments (i.e., navy and dark gray suit uniforms) and they fit like a dress shoe. I have the Fifth Street and wear them to the office on days when the weather is slightly bad (the leather sole has decent traction). On worse days, I wear something similar to the Dalton (I have the C&J Islay with Dianite).
So you're saying go with the Dalton?post #5059 of 707375/6/12 at 8:41amQuote:Originally Posted by PhiPsi32
I like a "V" as well. Sadly my feet don't cooperate; so I've grown accustomed to the quarters closing. On a brighter note, the closed upper gives you some leeway on lacing patterns. I've taken a liking to the European bar lace. It's easier to tighten and loosen, and the slant in the lacing stays hidden.
For bal shoes, I don't mind the 'V' gap; however, for the Fifth Street bal boot, the 'V' ends up looking like '()' because the gap closes more up the ankle shaft. On my C&J Somerville, there is 'V' gap but the shaft is narrower which looks better. For the latter, I use bar lacing.post #5060 of 707375/6/12 at 9:40ampost #5061 of 707375/6/12 at 9:46ampost #5062 of 707375/6/12 at 12:50pmpost #5063 of 707375/6/12 at 1:10pmQuote:Quote:
I put shoe trees in all my shoes from my Nikes to my Allen Edmonds (Vibram Five Finger being the only exception as you can wash those)post #5064 of 707375/6/12 at 1:20pmpost #5065 of 707375/6/12 at 1:45pmpost #5066 of 707375/6/12 at 3:56pmI have a question: does increase the width increase the width of the heel area as well as the toebox?
My problem is that I have bunions, so I don't need extra space by the heel, just in the toebox. Oh, and after width D, the next is E, correct?post #5067 of 707375/6/12 at 4:13pmQuote:
I believe going up in width increases the heel as well. I tried some 9E in the 5 last to see if the would fit better than my usual 9.5D. The length was OK, but the heel was huge on my foot.
Yes, E is next after D.
Chrispost #5068 of 707375/6/12 at 4:46pmQuote:
Typically yes, if you increase width the heel also increases. the best example is Alden, their average size is D/B (D = ball /B = heel), next E/C, etc. Keep in mind that heel slippage in the beginning of most shoes is more prominent because of the stiffness of the soles and how tight you tight the laces.post #5069 of 707375/6/12 at 5:20pmQuote:
I will digress by saying there are special lasts that allow more room up front without sacrificing heel fit. The Modified last by Alden, for example, gives you some room and can accommodate some orthotics as well without being an orthopedic shoe per se. I'm not aware of any AE lasts that give you this kind of fit.post #5070 of 707375/6/12 at 5:32pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › PREMIUM TIES - BIGI CRAVATE MILANO, SOZZI, YELLOW HOOK NECKTIES 11 seconds ago
- › Handsomeness Secrets 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 minute ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 1 minute ago
- › 7/25 PRICE DROP! SIZE 12 SUEDE SHOES - TO BOOT NEW YORK BLUE SUEDE... 3 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 3 minutes ago
- › 7/25 PRICE DROP! MINNIS FLANNEL MTM TROUSERS - LIGHT GREY & MID... 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 7 minutes ago
- › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding