or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3366  

post #50476 of 70737

I think the old catalogs are great.  Here is my redux with my bourbon Fifth Avenues.

I obviously have too much time on my hands.

post #50477 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

How was the fit for you? I measure 10.5E on Brannock but for whatever reason comfortable in 10.5 D even on 5 last.

I ordered 10 D...will I be returning them? Chili looks great!

I ordered my Shaker Heights in the same size as 95% of all my other AE's (couple of Rough Collection shoes 1/2 size smaller than the rest) and they fit great. I can't say, but you might want to go with the 10.5 in the Shaker Heights.

Chris
post #50478 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

How was the fit for you? I measure 10.5E on Brannock but for whatever reason comfortable in 10.5 D even on 5 last.

I ordered 10 D...will I be returning them? Chili looks great!

I ordered my Shaker Heights in the same size as 95% of all my other AE's (couple of Rough Collection shoes 1/2 size smaller than the rest) and they fit great. I can't say, but you might want to go with the 10.5 in the Shaker Heights.

Chris

Shaker is forgiving on width so you may luck out. However length wise I take a 12 on the 65 and 13 on shaker
post #50479 of 70737


GMTO for brown shell Dundees forming over at the Allen Edmonds MTO thread. Trying to get it in during the RDA sale for sale pricing. Check it out!
post #50480 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTuesday View Post



GMTO for brown shell Dundees forming over at the Allen Edmonds MTO thread. Trying to get it in during the RDA sale for sale pricing. Check it out!

How does this work?  I've been watching for some of these in my size on ShoeBank.

post #50481 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post


How was the fit for you? I measure 10.5E on Brannock but for whatever reason comfortable in 10.5 D even on 5 last.

I ordered 10 D...will I be returning them? Chili looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


I ordered my Shaker Heights in the same size as 95% of all my other AE's (couple of Rough Collection shoes 1/2 size smaller than the rest) and they fit great. I can't say, but you might want to go with the 10.5 in the Shaker Heights.

Chris

 

I wear an 11E in nearly all lasts and asked Allison to send me the try-on boot in this size when I did my MTO.  She mistakenly sent me the 11.5E, and I'm glad she did, as it fit perfectly with the boot socks I intended to wear with these.  In my boots, I have a tiny bit of heel slippage in one in one boot but have eliminated it with a heel pad and tight lacing.  Heel-to-ball and forefoot width are perfect.

post #50482 of 70737

I received my pair of AE McTavish this past Friday in the Cognac leather and snapped a couple pictures tonight. This is my first pair of "real adult" shoes and am very excited to get these beauties broken in. 

 

 

post #50483 of 70737
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I received my pair of AE McTavish this past Friday in the Cognac leather and snapped a couple pictures tonight. This is my first pair of "real adult" shoes and am very excited to get these beauties broken in. 

 

 

 
 
 

Excellent choice! these are so smooth.

post #50484 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKnight View Post

How does this work?  I've been watching for some of these in my size on ShoeBank.

Post your question at the MTO thread and we'll explain. Basically, we get 12 orders of the exact same custom make-up (different sizes obviously) and AE waives the $125 custom fee.
post #50485 of 70737
Question for you guys on break-in period.. I just got a pair of mcallisters, and they're the right size/width, but the leather is so stiff on the sides/opening that it's really digging into my ankles.. Any quick solutions outside of wearing thicker socks for a bit as the leather breaks in? I'm so used to wearing boots I haven't had to deal with this heh
post #50486 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850csi View Post

I bought a pair of Promontory Points secondhand; the seller had thrown away the original orthotics that come with the boots, does anyone know how I'd go about getting replacements? They're not the brown ones that AE sells.



Allen Edmonds has at least two styles of inserts. I like the ones that are brown and labeled fatigue fighter. The lighter version is tan with many perforations and works for me in just a few shoes, but the brown fatigue fighters are comfortable for me in every pair that size permits.

To get a replacement for either one of these, talk to any sales associate.
post #50487 of 70737
After years of being that guy who takes weeks to find the shoe that I like, and then usually settling because nothing better was found I can say I now know why...I have never seen AEs before now.

I'm hooked, but the problem is I need a pair pronto and since I am just starting a new career (tech) i can only swing one pair right now...and even then I will be shopping at the shoe bank or eBay for seconds.

The dress code is business casual and I would like to find a pair that I could also wear with denim when not going to work.

Any suggestions?

I really like burnished chili and walnut, but I'm open to suggestions since I just realized I'm not as we'll dressed as I thought.
post #50488 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghart View Post

Question for you guys on break-in period.. I just got a pair of mcallisters, and they're the right size/width, but the leather is so stiff on the sides/opening that it's really digging into my ankles.. Any quick solutions outside of wearing thicker socks for a bit as the leather breaks in? I'm so used to wearing boots I haven't had to deal with this heh

I have the same issue with some styles. I've used bandaids before to protect my ankles. Thicker socks may work too. Eventually the leather softens for a more comfortable fit. It make take as few as 2 or 3 all day wearings.
post #50489 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Chris-- View Post

After years of being that guy who takes weeks to find the shoe that I like, and then usually settling because nothing better was found I can say I now know why...I have never seen AEs before now.

I'm hooked, but the problem is I need a pair pronto and since I am just starting a new career (tech) i can only swing one pair right now...and even then I will be shopping at the shoe bank or eBay for seconds.

The dress code is business casual and I would like to find a pair that I could also wear with denim when not going to work.

Any suggestions?

I really like burnished chili and walnut, but I'm open to suggestions since I just realized I'm not as we'll dressed as I thought.

 

Welcome to the forum.

 

If I had to give up every single pair of AEs I own except one, the one I would keep would be my burgundy shell Leeds.  It can be worn with everything from denim to a suit.  If you're lucky enough to find one at the Shoebank right now in your size, spend the extra money and get it.  $325 may sound like a lot, but for shell it's a serious bargain, and the shoe will last you a decade or longer (and look better and better with each passing year) with minimal care.

 

If you plan to wear this pair every day, you really should get a second one as well, as all nice shoes need a day to breathe between wearings.  Since you like walnut, the walnut Strand might be a good way for you to go.  It's dressier than the Leeds (would definitely go better with a suit) but also pretty versatile.  Again, if you're lucky enough to find a seconds pair right now, the price should be favorable.  AE also makes a version of this shoe for Brooks Brothers - it won't show up on shoebank.com so you should call the AE Customer Assistance Center to see if there is a pair floating around.  Often the BB-branded seconds are cheaper than the AEs, and the quality is every bit as good.

 

Before you buy, if you've never been fitted for AEs and can visit a store, you should definitely do so.  And, be sure to get shoe trees as well.

 

Good luck!

post #50490 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Chris-- View Post

After years of being that guy who takes weeks to find the shoe that I like, and then usually settling because nothing better was found I can say I now know why...I have never seen AEs before now.

I'm hooked, but the problem is I need a pair pronto and since I am just starting a new career (tech) i can only swing one pair right now...and even then I will be shopping at the shoe bank or eBay for seconds.

The dress code is business casual and I would like to find a pair that I could also wear with denim when not going to work.

Any suggestions?

I really like burnished chili and walnut, but I'm open to suggestions since I just realized I'm not as we'll dressed as I thought.

Walnut Calf Strand is the AE Classic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...