or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3302  

post #49516 of 70737

received Amazon 20% off shoes and fashion card in mail today ...

post #49517 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

received Amazon 20% off shoes and fashion card in mail today ...

I got one yesterday... Trying to decide if I actually want anything in calfskin from AE before it expires.
post #49518 of 70737

i'm a bit tempted to order those lake shore drives, but how does it look in person? would it pair with say a light grey cotton summer suit, or is it too casual for even that?

post #49519 of 70737

My burgundy Patriot seconds arrived!

 

No idea what the flaw is, came with out a seconds stamp and even have cordovan shoe bags. What a steal at $325 and the wheeled edge on the Patriot is a nice touch. They are a bit tight on the instep but feel good everywhere else right out of the box. I suspect they will stretch a little along with the cork settling and they should be a perfect fit.

 

 

 

post #49520 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post
 

Gentlemen, based on your experience do 1-lasted boots wear the same as 1-lasted shoes? Also would shell vs calf boots wear differently?

 

I only have a Carson City (calf in 1-last similar to longbranch) in 8.5D and they are a bit snug with normal socks. As Im planning to shell boot in the same last that I plan on wearing with thicker socks, I would like to ask whether I should go 8.5E or 9D or stay to 8.5D is shell wears bigger.

 

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I dont have an AE store anywhere near me. Im on the other side of the wolrd.

 

Of my 9D 1-511 shoes, my Shell Daltons fit well, my Calf Daltons are a tad more snug, my Finches are a tad narrow, and my Sheltons are way narrow.

post #49521 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post

Behold, the wonders of AE Recrafting...

Before - a $50 pair of beat up, heavily used burgundy shell Leeds from eBay:




Middle - after several rounds of Renovateur, Reno'Mat, and (gasp!) rubbing alcohol:




After - Fresh off my feet from the first wearing post-AE Recrafting:


 

Wow, it's hard to knock AE's shell finishing after seeing this recraft!

post #49522 of 70737
I scored a pair of Norwich in shell during the sale. I went up in width because several people suggested they were tight in the toes. My shoes aren't overly loose and my heel isn't slipping but they don't have the typically sung pre-break in feeling. Should I be concerned? Could I add an extra hole to the monk strap to tighten the shoes if needed?
post #49523 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

 

I am making a spreadsheet of all my AE shoes, noting last, fit, size etc....Literally putting on and lacing every shoe up and walking around the house with them...Shoe 17 was the SHaker Heights and I swear you could not custom make a pair of shoes or boots that fit me better.  I am without a doubt ordering another pair, just have to decide on the color..thinking perhaps black as I am selling my other two black boots or the new one with the olive tweed.

 

Edit: maybe and MTO in suede, suede/tweed or suede calf combo....OH BOY!

 

Kahuna, since Shaker Heights is your best fit, can you share your size and sizes of other popular shoes/boots (calf 5-65s, Daltons, etc.)?

post #49524 of 70737
Seriously awesome shoes posted today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post


Damn those look nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow - I hope I am as lucky as you with the small imperfections.

I will post some photos when mine arrive, but I don't think they will be as good as yours - very nice photos!

Chris

Thanks guys! I hope your pair is acceptable as well, Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Shoe 17 was the SHaker Heights and I swear you could not custom make a pair of shoes or boots that fit me better.  I am without a doubt ordering another pair, just have to decide on the color...

I am blown away by how comfortable they were right out of the box. They felt already broken-in in a way that my Strands, Cambridge et al took a few days of wear to achieve. I have been fighting the urge to see about a pair in black because I don't have much use for a black boot, but I know I'll regret passing on a black option while they are available at this low price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeisuzu View Post

Okay, this is officially my next purchase. How would you size the 73 last? I'm a 9D in the 1 last and 8.5D in the 5 last. Thanks.

Sorry I'm late with this response - So far I am an 11 D in everything AE except the 5 last, where an 11.5 D fits me perfectly. I ordered an 11 D for the Shaker Heights and they fit very well, but there is enough room in the toe for me to have gone down a half-size to an 10.5 D. They are roomy, and if I (and Kahuna) haven't gushed enough about it enough, they are ridiculously comfortable! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I received a PM from a member asking about the true color of my chili Shaker Heights. He mentioned that they almost looked different than most AE chili, and while I assumed it was due to the poor color balance of my shots (too much yellow due to the lighting), it turned out he was right. They were definitely a bit muted compared to my pair of chili Provo derby shoes.

I figured out why - polish. My Provos had multiple light coats of AE's chili polish on them, and adding the same to the Shaker Heights brought out the deep, robust russet-red tone to match the other shoe.







I should have polished them initially before taking photos, but I was too psyched about the fit of the boot to do the right thing. biggrin.gif
post #49525 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Seriously awesome shoes posted today!

Thanks guys! I hope your pair is acceptable as well, Chris.
I am blown away by how comfortable they were right out of the box. They felt already broken-in in a way that my Strands, Cambridge et al took a few days of wear to achieve. I have been fighting the urge to see about a pair in black because I don't have much use for a black boot, but I know I'll regret passing on a black option while they are available at this low price point.
Sorry I'm late with this response - So far I am an 11 D in everything AE except the 5 last, where an 11.5 D fits me perfectly. I ordered an 11 D for the Shaker Heights and they fit very well, but there is enough room in the toe for me to have gone down a half-size to an 10.5 D. They are roomy, and if I (and Kahuna) haven't gushed enough about it enough, they are ridiculously comfortable! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I received a PM from a member asking about the true color of my chili Shaker Heights. He mentioned that they almost looked different than most AE chili, and while I assumed it was due to the poor color balance of my shots (too much yellow due to the lighting), it turned out he was right. They were definitely a bit muted compared to my pair of chili Provo derby shoes.

I figured out why - polish. My Provos had multiple light coats of AE's chili polish on them, and adding the same to the Shaker Heights brought out the deep, robust russet-red tone to match the other shoe.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






I should have polished them initially before taking photos, but I was too psyched about the fit of the boot to do the right thing. biggrin.gif

The leather is different from AE standard calf. It's some kind of soft cowhide. I suspect Nappa, though I'm not certain. The creasing pattern and pliability (almost spongey texture when you press your thumb down on it) matches, but I'm not an expert. Anyway, that's why it looks and feels different.

 

FYI, the black version is rare and super Boss. Would definitely rock with jeans. Almost a Hog-worthy boot.

post #49526 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Gentlemen, based on your experience do 1-lasted boots wear the same as 1-lasted shoes? Also would shell vs calf boots wear differently?

I only have a Carson City (calf in 1-last similar to longbranch) in 8.5D and they are a bit snug with normal socks. As Im planning to shell boot in the same last that I plan on wearing with thicker socks, I would like to ask whether I should go 8.5E or 9D or stay to 8.5D is shell wears bigger.

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, I dont have an AE store anywhere near me. Im on the other side of the wolrd.

For what it's worth, based on my limited experience, I'd say they wear differently. My only experience is shell Leeds versus calf Malvern. Shell Leeds in my normal 11.5D was way too big, had to return. Calf Malvern was too tight in the toe box, had to size up to 12D. I believe I read in this thread that this is a common experience: for some odd reason, the 1 last boots fit smaller than the shoes.
post #49527 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

The leather is different from AE standard calf. It's some kind of soft cowhide. I suspect Nappa, though I'm not certain. The creasing pattern and pliability (almost spongey texture when you press your thumb down on it) matches, but I'm not an expert. Anyway, that's why it looks and feels different.

FYI, the black version is rare and super Boss. Would definitely rock with jeans. Almost a Hog-worthy boot.

Very good to know, thank you peppercorn78. The leather seems very similar to the Provo, which is a rubber-sole'd shoe from the AE line of less expensive options. The spongey aspect that you describe is common to both, but I'm obviously no leather expert either.

I am awaiting a callback on the availability in black, but the store manager echoed your sentiment. Highly unlikely.
post #49528 of 70737

How did I know these Patroits were going to be caked in polish... this is going to take some serious work to get it all off. 

post #49529 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post


Very good to know, thank you peppercorn78. The leather seems very similar to the Provo, which is a rubber-sole'd shoe from the AE line of less expensive options. The spongey aspect that you describe is common to both, but I'm obviously no leather expert either.

I am awaiting a callback on the availability in black, but the store manager echoed your sentiment. Highly unlikely.

There was one in my size at Sherman Brothers for the longest time. Just couldn't justify it. But part of me wished I had.

post #49530 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 

 

Kahuna, since Shaker Heights is your best fit, can you share your size and sizes of other popular shoes/boots (calf 5-65s, Daltons, etc.)?

 

Sure a little explaining first- My right foot is slightly larger than my left so I use my right to gauge all fits - I also have a high arch - In many shoes if 12.5 were offered it would be a better fit for me that 13

 

511 Dalton 13E fits perfect - The 13D leaves my foot spilling over the sides of the sole

73 Shaker Heights 13D perfect

511 Longbranch 13E big but fits great with boot socks

65 Strand balmoral 12eee

65 MacNeil 5 blucher (on the 65 last) 12e

511 Leeds Cordovan 13e slightly roomy 12.5 ee would probably be perfect

65 Jefferson Independence 13e

108 Clark Street - 13e Heal slip in both shoes, toes feel fine, probably 1/2 size too long, width feels good

333 Boca Raton 13d width is fine shoe is too long no heel slip

79 Randolph Cordovan 13d fits perfect can wear with or without socks

73 Morgan 13d fits perfect but being a llamoral the vgap is wide

108 Mora 2 13d feels fine but I could probably use a 13e

 

There are others so feel free to ask if you do not see one there

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...