or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 34  

post #496 of 70737

Brought home my first AE shoes today, black Strands, after weeks of lusting & researching. The incredibly patient salesperson helped me through trying on tens of shoes until we found the right fit. I normally wear an 11.5D and after plenty of trial-and-error, found the 9.5EEE was the best fit for my square, flat feet.

 

In 30 years, this is the first pair of shoes I've owned that actually fit. I'll ignore anyone that laughs at me wearing my Strands with shorts because, gosh-darn it, at least they'll fit. (Okay, I might not wear them with shorts, but khakis...)

 


Edited by rostov - 9/28/11 at 12:35am
post #497 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

Brought home my first AE shoes today, black Strands, after weeks of lusting & researching. The incredibly patient salesperson helped me through trying on tens of shoes until we found the right fit. I normally wear an 11.5D and after plenty of trial-and-error, found the 9.5EEE was the best fit for my square, flat feet.

 

In 30 years, this is the first pair of shoes I've owned that actually fit. I'll ignore anyone that laughs at me wearing my Strands with shorts because, gosh-darn it, at least they'll fit. (Okay, I might not wear them with shorts, but khakis...)

 


Wear them proudly, friend. I used to have to wear 12 D before AE got me into 10.5 EEE. I can't accept any shoe brand that does not carry wides any more.
post #498 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

Thoughts on Westchester?

I picked up the Westchester recently at an AE outlet. It's a factory 2nd and was 25% off. Couldn't resist at that price. Fit is tad snug on my right foot. The 7 last isn't as narrow as the 5 last and works pretty well with my foot (on the wide side). With a bit of wear, it's stretched out some. I'm debating getting that shoe stretched. Just put a decent shine on it. Westchester on left.

407
post #499 of 70737

Hi all,

 

I recently saw the AE Boulder (tan leather, brown trim) and fell in love with them, but am unsure as to whether or not my wardrobe can handle them.

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF71801_1_40000000001_-1

 

 

I own no shorts or slacks, only jeans, which are relaxed fit/ boot cut. I usually wear t-shirts or polos (not higher end). Would I be able to pull this off, do I need a fashion upgrade? Thanks for your help.

post #500 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoPTY View Post

Hi all,

 

I recently saw the AE Boulder (tan leather, brown trim) and fell in love with them, but am unsure as to whether or not my wardrobe can handle them.

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF71801_1_40000000001_-1

 

 

I own no shorts or slacks, only jeans, which are relaxed fit/ boot cut. I usually wear t-shirts or polos (not higher end). Would I be able to pull this off, do I need a fashion upgrade? Thanks for your help.


fall out of love with them...fast
post #501 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romo View Post

Thoughts on Westchester?

I picked up the Westchester recently at an AE outlet. It's a factory 2nd and was 25% off. Couldn't resist at that price. Fit is tad snug on my right foot. The 7 last isn't as narrow as the 5 last and works pretty well with my foot (on the wide side). With a bit of wear, it's stretched out some. I'm debating getting that shoe stretched. Just put a decent shine on it. Westchester on left.

407

Magnificent polishing Patrick! The Westchesters look stunning.
post #502 of 70737
Thanks for the info about the Dalton book. At $318, that's a good deal. They look less wide than Tricker's, more like a shoe. I might want to swap in thicker laces or flat laces.
post #503 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Magnificent polishing Patrick! The Westchesters look stunning.

Thanks. I picked up the Kenilworth during the Rediscover America sale. It's a nice blucher and I loved the brown. I have a couple coats of wax and the dark brown burnishing on the toe looks great. I'll post some pics after a few more coats on them.
post #504 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Thanks. I picked up the Kenilworth during the Rediscover America sale. It's a nice blucher and I loved the brown. I have a couple coats of wax and the dark brown burnishing on the toe looks great. I'll post some pics after a few more coats on them.

Those look great, what kind of wax good sir?
post #505 of 70737
I just got these (Bayfield) and was a little unsure about the fit and finish of these boots. We don't have an AE store here so I just had to take a leap of faith and order online. Well I'm happy to say that it seems to have worked out. It was a little stiff at first but walking around the house seems to have taken care of that. Compared to my Aldens, the leather seems a bit stiffer but I think over time it will wear in as well as my Alden boots. Upon close examination, the quality of workmanship compared to the Aldens is pretty comparable. I feel it's a perfect casual boot that goes well with jeans and chinos. And for its price point ($200 cheaper than my Aldens) I think it's a great buy.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg


With my Alden Plaza Indy and Chromexel Wing Tip boots.
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg
Edited by Stamper1924 - 9/30/11 at 1:07am
post #506 of 70737
Nice Stamper! Congratulations. The black Bayfields look great.
post #507 of 70737

i have to agree, the Bayfields look great!

post #508 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Nice Stamper! Congratulations. The black Bayfields look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorolf07 View Post

i have to agree, the Bayfields look great!


Can't argue with that. They look great. I looked at the new leather sole'd Dalton boot at an AE outlet this week. I was tempted. Both colors (walnut & dark chocolate) look pretty good to me but I have my heart set on a pair of White's SD's this fall so I just couldn't justify both purchases...even though they are so different. The factory 2nd price was $279, I think.

350

350
post #509 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Those look great, what kind of wax good sir?

Plain old Kiwi wax in brown. I typically use Saphir Renovateur, then a wax polish. As these were new, I put a coat of AE Cream Polish (from a tube) in Walnut on the entire shoe, then concentrate several thin coats of brown kiwi on the toe. I posted additional specifics in the shoe care thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc/200_100#post_4824265

Shoe on far right is the AE Tresana in cabernet brown from the ill-fated, discontinued, Italian-made 'Seven' line (that's a mouthful, huh?) from a few yrs ago.

198

Definately OT, but here's a decent shine on yearling RMW boots using the same method and products (renovavateur & brown kiwi wax).

405
post #510 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Nice Stamper! Congratulations. The black Bayfields look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorolf07 View Post

i have to agree, the Bayfields look great!


Thanks guys. So far they've broken in nicely. Unlike my Aldens, the Bayfield's tongue is sewn to the quarters (right term?) of the boot so it provides a bit more waterproofing (like hiking boots) and I applied Obenauf's LP so it should be able to handle pretty rough weather. At the sale price they have now, it's a "no brainer"! biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...