or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3279  

post #49171 of 70737

on shoebank home page website it says "Our Factory-Second shoes contain a minor cosmetic blemish that does not affect the fit, comfort or durability of our shoes. The shoes simply do not pass our exacting standards at one of the various inspection points throughout our 212 step handcrafting process. The savings are passed along to our Allen Edmonds outlet customers.."

post #49172 of 70737
I want to get your opinion on this. Receive the black Dundees today, they are almost perfect. The only issue that I'm concerned is the small dings at the toe. The color is definitely lighter around the area. I'm keeping them, just want to make sure there ain't anything major. I tried to even the color out with some Reno but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

post #49173 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post


I may have received the one pair of 13B black Dundees in the mail today. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Although I may return them due to the defect being an unsightly roll at the start of the tongue on only the left boot.

 

Nice - great score.  How does the Dundee fit for you compared to other AE's? 

post #49174 of 70737
I'm TTS 13C, so a lot of my stuff is D width and a bit roomy since C widths aren't too common outside the 5 last. These are snug, but not tight. I wouldn't be able to wear thick wool socks with them though. The more I think about, I'm just going to return them since they are mildly redundant with the black shell Leeds I have anyway.
post #49175 of 70737

I have a pair of Black shell leeds also and it is why I would stay away from them...plus I don't wear denim so black is limited wear for me and I dont wear suits

post #49176 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

I want to get your opinion on this. Receive the black Dundees today, they are almost perfect. The only issue that I'm concerned is the small dings at the toe. The color is definitely lighter around the area. I'm keeping them, just want to make sure there ain't anything major. I tried to even the color out with some Reno but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

It's hard for me to even see what the blemishes are.  Dundees are not formal shoes and they'll start to get marked up almost immediately upon wear.  If it's going to bother you every time you look down, return them, but otherwise embrace the ruggedness of shell and watch as they get better with age.

post #49177 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

Black shell is a weird animal. It's a formal color in a relatively informal material.

 

I always wondered about this. First, I don't own any black shell. But I always thought that since it's super glossy -- like well-polished calf or plastic-coated patent leather but made out of much higher quality skin -- that it should be the exact right material for black formal shoes. What's preventing that, the waviness?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

I always wondered about this. First, I don't own any black shell. But I always thought that since it's super glossy -- like well-polished calf or plastic-coated patent leather but made out of much higher quality skin -- that it should be the exact right material for black formal shoes. What's preventing that, the waviness?
I posted that question last January in the Black Tie thread and got a few thoughts on the matter... but my budget never allowed for me to do anything about it before Grangaard's MTO door swung shut.

I like the idea of shell formal shoes, but it seems oddly that the point of black tie footwear is its refinement and frailty. The cream of the crop tends to be easily-scuffed patent leather, Blake or glued construction for the thinnest possible sole, with even a quilted interior for opera pumps. Those are antithetical to the relatively rugged longevity of a goodyear-welted shoe made from horse butt. I guess it all comes down to how closely one wants to follow tradition.

 

My MTO black shell Rutledges:

 

 

They're not traditional formal attire, but I have worn and loved them with black tie (surrounded by loafers (!) and beat-up Chinese-mades).  They look damn good with a suit, too.

post #49178 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

I want to get your opinion on this. Receive the black Dundees today, they are almost perfect. The only issue that I'm concerned is the small dings at the toe. The color is definitely lighter around the area. I'm keeping them, just want to make sure there ain't anything major. I tried to even the color out with some Reno but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some black cordovan cream will probably cover up those small discolorations. Just take it easy on the Reno, it is a mild cleaner after all, so it might make some of those discolorations bigger. Nice kop in any case...
post #49179 of 70737

I notice you have them laced cross over style.  is there a right or wrong way to lace shoes for business/formal.. is there a hierarchy to formality, I notice most photos are straight laced, followed by crossover and variations of cross over with the bottom eyelet either being over under etc.. this site kills me, I never even noticed all my dress shoes were straight laced before but wondering if bluchers should be straight laced or crossover since you can see the lace underneath...

post #49180 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmy127 View Post


I may have received the one pair of 13B black Dundees in the mail today. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Although I may return them due to the defect being an unsightly roll at the start of the tongue on only the left boot.

 

My ends Dundees had that issue as well. Though not sure how unsightly yours was to mine. I think it did make the shoe crease/roll a little differently than it might have normally. But theres no way to really tell. Mine were 12Ds

post #49181 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It's hard for me to even see what the blemishes are.  Dundees are not formal shoes and they'll start to get marked up almost immediately upon wear.  If it's going to bother you every time you look down, return them, but otherwise embrace the ruggedness of shell and watch as they get better with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Some black cordovan cream will probably cover up those small discolorations. Just take it easy on the Reno, it is a mild cleaner after all, so it might make some of those discolorations bigger. Nice kop in any case...
Thank you, I'm planning to keep them, will need to get some black cordovan cream and see if that will help.
Half, just notice you changed your avatar. Lol
post #49182 of 70737

Reading the story of the creation of the Dalton, in unbridled enthusiasm for my pending arrival... I noticed a blurb by Paul Grangaard:

 

Quote (Paul Grangaard: http://www.startribune.com/business/136453923.html):

"That (City Center) is our lab store," said Grangaard. "We introduce products there to see how well they'll do.''

 

 

Has anyone ever followed up upon this to see about picking up new designs, leathers, etc that might be showing up there? Did I just pop the cork on something that was a  secret to everybody?

 

EDIT: sent an email to the "center city" store to find out more.


Edited by rostov - 9/12/14 at 8:19pm
post #49183 of 70737

I see they are bringing back the Eagle County in Tan leather.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9442_1_40000000001_-1_

post #49184 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post
 

I see they are bringing back the Eagle County in Tan leather.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9442_1_40000000001_-1_

Been up for a few weeks now.

post #49185 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post
 

 

Okay! I have deets on the Gobi, AE's new desert boot.

 

The Gobi is entering the regular stock lineup at $295. It's manufactured on the 809 last in B, D, and EEE widths. As it's just hitting shelves, most or all out there are D width, but we should expect EEE and maybe B widths in the next 1-2 weeks.

 

Colors are navy suede, snuff suede, olive suede, and tan saddle. Again, this shoe, unlike the Amok, is lined and has a Dainite sole. The last, the 809, is the same as the Mojave.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 


I heart olive!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolognaFingers View Post
 

YESSS. the 809 last. can anyone tell me about it? How's it fit? wide? narrow? etc. Thank you!

 

Still not on the AE site, but I see the Gobi may now be found at Macy's. It's a bit more than AE told me it would be at $350  :fu:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...