Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:22 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3278post #49156 of 707379/12/14 at 12:37pmpost #49157 of 707379/12/14 at 12:50pmQuote:
Sorry to snipe ya, but if you're talking about Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges in 8.5D, it looks to me like they're still available! http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=8685S&DIM=D&SIZE=085post #49158 of 707379/12/14 at 12:55pmQuote:
I always wondered about this. First, I don't own any black shell. But I always thought that since it's super glossy -- like well-polished calf or plastic-coated patent leather but made out of much higher quality skin -- that it should be the exact right material for black formal shoes. What's preventing that, the waviness?post #49159 of 707379/12/14 at 1:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by kentyman
Sorry to snipe ya, but if you're talking about Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges in 8.5D, it looks to me like they're still available! http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=8685S&DIM=D&SIZE=085
Haha. Don't I wish. You got the last pair. Seems like they never updated their system after they sold yours.
It's a phantom pair.post #49160 of 707379/12/14 at 1:22pmQuote:I posted that question last January in the Black Tie thread and got a few thoughts on the matter... but my budget never allowed for me to do anything about it before Grangaard's MTO door swung shut.Originally Posted by kentyman
I always wondered about this. First, I don't own any black shell. But I always thought that since it's super glossy -- like well-polished calf or plastic-coated patent leather but made out of much higher quality skin -- that it should be the exact right material for black formal shoes. What's preventing that, the waviness?
I like the idea of shell formal shoes, but it seems oddly that the point of black tie footwear is its refinement and frailty. The cream of the crop tends to be easily-scuffed patent leather, Blake or glued construction for the thinnest possible sole, with even a quilted interior for opera pumps. Those are antithetical to the relatively rugged longevity of a goodyear-welted shoe made from horse butt. I guess it all comes down to how closely one wants to follow tradition.post #49161 of 707379/12/14 at 1:25pmpost #49162 of 707379/12/14 at 1:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by random-adam
I posted that question last January in the Black Tie thread and got a few thoughts on the matter... but my budget never allowed for me to do anything about it before Grangaard's MTO door swung shut.
I like the idea of shell formal shoes, but it seems oddly that the point of black tie footwear is its refinement and frailty. The cream of the crop tends to be easily-scuffed patent leather, Blake or glued construction for the thinnest possible sole, with even a quilted interior for opera pumps. Those are antithetical to the relatively rugged longevity of a goodyear-welted shoe made from horse butt. I guess it all comes down to how closely one wants to follow tradition.
I've always meant to ask you...is your avatar an eyeball from the TV show Lost?post #49163 of 707379/12/14 at 1:43pmpost #49164 of 707379/12/14 at 1:55pmpost #49165 of 707379/12/14 at 1:55pmQuote:
I have been buying AE for less than 9 months, and see no clear pattern predicting specific model sales.
The RDA sale (around 10-1) is your next sure thing.
Otherwise, there are endless choices for shoppers...try the google machine or that eBay company!post #49166 of 707379/12/14 at 2:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by FatTuesday
I got a good haul on the shell sale:
Burgundy Cambridge (wanted MacNeils but not available)
The Daltons are beautiful. The Cambridge & Randolphs are reportly in great shape (I haven't seen them yet). Waiting on word of the condition of the Dundees. I hope they're in good shape as I'd love a pair.
Got the Cambridge & Randolphs in today. Cambridge looks perfect to me. They have no seconds mark on the sole and came with shoe bags - and they fit perfectly!! Are they discontinuing these? Maybe just overstock? Randolphs have the seconds marks, but look perfectly fine to me.
No word on the Dundees, which has me worried. Those I wanted most! Just pinged my SA to see what's going on.post #49167 of 707379/12/14 at 2:19pmQuote:
A few of my shell seconds have come without the seconds mark. Anyone else notice this. Is it a matter of them missing a step in the process of moving something from first to second? Does it imply a return that relegated it to second?post #49168 of 707379/12/14 at 2:40pmQuote:
I'm going to assume that they are merely overstocked items. Please don't tell me any different.
It does appear that they have NOT been tried on before, btw.post #49169 of 707379/12/14 at 3:25pm
I've never quite understood the notion that a design otherwise meeting all SF criteria for CBD somehow becomes some sort of an oxymoron if in shell. My only (current) pair of black shoes is an Alden punch cap oxford in shell. I suppose at the upper most end of the price/quality spectrum, shoe craftsmen can more easily manipulate calf to produce a more pleasing fit - perhaps it is more easily stretched tightly and perfectly around a last than shell. I don't know.
To me, of the mostly commonly cited factors affecting formality - color, last sleekness, lacing method, brogueing (or lack thereof), and material - the latter seems to be the least relevant by far.
BTW, wearing my burgundy Cambridges today with a conservative suit. And to client meetings, no less. Come lock me up.post #49170 of 707379/12/14 at 3:42pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 1 minute ago
- › FS: Sandro White Button-Down Oxford Work Shirt Union Made Small 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 7 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 9 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway