or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3193  

post #47881 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post

Has anyone else ever experienced difficulty ordering through the ShoeBank site? Waaay back on the first day of the 2 for $299 sale, I requested two pairs from the Port Washington store, and a few days later added a third. A week went by with no response from the store, so I emailed the store (politely of course) explaining the situation. They responded this time -- though no apology or explanation, which kind of annoyed me -- and said that one of the shoes I requested wasn't available -- which also kind of annoyed me, seeing as it had been when I placed the order/request. So I emailed back asking if I could now substitute another shoe, which to this minute still appears on their site in my size, and was told that also wasn't available, and that the inventory doesn't always match the website.

Through it all, I've found the service terrible -- not just the failure to respond to my order and the frustration of not being able to get the shoes, but also that it takes them about three days to respond to the simplest email query and they seem totally uninterested in making the sale. It's now been two weeks since I placed the request and they've not once asked whether I want the two pairs shipped that were (are still?) available and they've never offered to do anything about the mix-up on the third. Every email they send is a one-sentence response that gives the impression they view my attempt to purchase from them as an annoyance.

They're just overwhelmed, especially with email inquiries. Best is to call.

Or better still, form a relationship with an outlet SA, and they'll let you know when the good stuff gets in. Mine has unfortunately moved on to greener pastures.
post #47882 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post

Has anyone else ever experienced difficulty ordering through the ShoeBank site? Waaay back on the first day of the 2 for $299 sale, I requested two pairs from the Port Washington store, and a few days later added a third. A week went by with no response from the store, so I emailed the store (politely of course) explaining the situation. They responded this time -- though no apology or explanation, which kind of annoyed me -- and said that one of the shoes I requested wasn't available -- which also kind of annoyed me, seeing as it had been when I placed the order/request. So I emailed back asking if I could now substitute another shoe, which to this minute still appears on their site in my size, and was told that also wasn't available, and that the inventory doesn't always match the website.

Through it all, I've found the service terrible -- not just the failure to respond to my order and the frustration of not being able to get the shoes, but also that it takes them about three days to respond to the simplest email query and they seem totally uninterested in making the sale. It's now been two weeks since I placed the request and they've not once asked whether I want the two pairs shipped that were (are still?) available and they've never offered to do anything about the mix-up on the third. Every email they send is a one-sentence response that gives the impression they view my attempt to purchase from them as an annoyance.
pick up the phone and call them ...
post #47883 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

 

those are great, my monitor somewhat shot and is not the best(waiting for a new one arive) - what color are those? I would love those with the lighter welt as well...great shoe!

They are cappuccino cordovan

post #47884 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


They're just overwhelmed, especially with email inquiries. Best is to call.

Or better still, form a relationship with an outlet SA, and they'll let you know when the good stuff gets in. Mine has unfortunately moved on to greener pastures.

 

Thanks for all your responses. Living in Japan, it's a nuisance to call them but I'll keep it in mind. If they're going to have a website, though, it'd be nice if it worked -- or it'd be nice if they planned ahead so that staff were available. 

post #47885 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Just an FYI on the dark spot....after the huge cleaning marathon of my leeds I started to understand why the caked so much crap on them - there was a dark patch on the shell itself. So just be careful not to go too crazy it may be a flaw in the shell. They literally had so much junk on the shoe you could not tell the dark spot was there...it does not bother me at all now that it is revealed but I am guessing that may be what led it to be a second





Yea. I was pretty sure it wasn't creme or a product of any sort. It does seem to be part of the leather. So I was going to try hitting it with a bit of renovateur and see what happened. Or possibly cover up the other areas and leave it in the sun for a bit to see if that may lighten the dark spot up? Have you tried sun fading or just left it as is?




Mine is on the outside so a bit more noticeable. If it was the inside I wouldn't care. Actually doesn't concern me that much on the outside. Would rather have color issues than cuts, or weird stitching etc for a 2nd.



 



Shell often has specs of black in it, sometimes black streaks and larger spots. Over time as the shell lightens, or if you use UV to speed up the process, the black does not lighten and becomes more noticeable. My burgundy shell Leeds have turned brown over the years and you can easily see the black specs but you have to get up close. I tried using Saphir cordovan cordovan polish and it helped but it really didn't add much color over the specs and I accept them as they are, part of the beauty of shell. However the burgundy Patriot loafers that I sent to B. Nelson came back with Saphir wax polish all over them and it fully covers the color of the shell under it. I was surprised and actually kind of like them like that, although have been using the Mac method to knock it down some. It looks like they used Bordeaux #08 it has a very slight purple undertone to it. I have some and may try it on my Leeds again. May be worth a try for you also?



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post



I must have close to 3 hours invested in these but I think my hard work is starting to make some progress.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)














I would say your time has been well spent, beautifully done!

post #47886 of 70737

Coincidentally, I too wore my cappuccino shell Dundees today:

 

 

Unlike Ryden (whose Dundees look amazing), I haven't put any work into them other than the usual Mac-ing, but I think they look pretty good anyway.  While I wait for them to develop patina, I have Alden Ravello shell chukkas (courtesy of Cold Iron) to tide me over.

post #47887 of 70737

Overall that is the one thing with Shell that I sort of fight with in that when I buy a burgundy shoe I would like it to remain that way and not fade to a brown especially in just a few years. I wonder if whatever the acrylic spray Alden uses on their shell helps to prevent that.

post #47888 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Was able to see the upcoming shoe list. Lots of different loafers, including a split toe loafer on the 8 last. Interesting that they chose to release so many loafers in Fall/Winter. They also have a lot of boots coming, some 7 eyelet, and 5 eyelet open-laced boots coming. Even a 2 eyelet chukka on something called the 809 last. A 2 eyelet plain toe derby on the 97 last is also new (same last as the Macneil), and some interesting park avenue combinations with suede quarters & one with a cross cut quarters (like the new belt Cut Bank).

I also took a pic of the new Bob Chili / Dark Chili color, in comparison to the dark brown and walnut:


That Carlyle is one good looking shoe, and the depth of color in the dark chili is really something. I might actually have to pic that up it looked so good.

Lastly, a live pic of the new shoe Paul posted, the Strandmok:


AE has to start taking better pics for their website (come on Paul), cause i could barely tell that this shoe featured AE's new bleaching effect. Not my thing, but the website is not doing this shoe justice...

 

I should really unsubscribe from this thread... I want to get all 4 pairs.

post #47889 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post
 

 

Thanks for all your responses. Living in Japan, it's a nuisance to call them but I'll keep it in mind. If they're going to have a website, though, it'd be nice if it worked -- or it'd be nice if they planned ahead so that staff were available. 

 

I realize we're all busy people and don't neccesarily have the time to read every line of text on the webpage. But when you click on the link to contact a store this is at the top of the page:

 

Quote:
Contacting this store does not guarantee that your size and style will be reserved. The store will reach out to you within 2-3 business days with availability of your size and style. Please contact the store by phone for immediate assistance.

 

The Shoebank process sales over the phone, even if you email you still have to call with your payment info. The website is simply a tool to make it easier for us to enquire what their current stock is, previously we'd have to email for a list. During the sales they get slammed with emails and are on the phone all the time so they don't get to them until much later (until it's too late in some instances). I was on the phone with the SA, he checked the inventory and it showed one of the shoes on offer was available and he called the store, I got a call back 15 minutes later that it had sold while we were waiting for confirmation. Disappointing but understandable.


Edited by evilWagon - 8/14/14 at 12:05pm
post #47890 of 70737
how is it that this, oozing class, is a one-off...

 

and this atrocity will be mass-produced? 

post #47891 of 70737
I usually call from work icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #47892 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

Overall that is the one thing with Shell that I sort of fight with in that when I buy a burgundy shoe I would like it to remain that way and not fade to a brown especially in just a few years. I wonder if whatever the acrylic spray Alden uses on their shell helps to prevent that.

No it doesn't, they do also... The Red\Brown of #8 or AE burgundy shell is something many look froward to developing over time. However I will admit that on shoes like my Cambridge's I prefer that they stay more black cherry, or in other terms red and black. IMO that goes better with more of my suits than brown. The old timers used to use black Kiwi on #8, it helps blend the black spots in as they age. I prefer to stay away from waxes and polishes on shell but on a few of my burgundy may play around a little with it. I already use a little black once in a great while on the Cambridge's.

post #47893 of 70737

Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

Overall that is the one thing with Shell that I sort of fight with in that when I buy a burgundy shoe I would like it to remain that way and not fade to a brown especially in just a few years. I wonder if whatever the acrylic spray Alden uses on their shell helps to prevent that.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

No it doesn't, they do also... The Red\Brown of #8 or AE burgundy shell is something many look froward to developing over time. However I will admit that on shoes like my Cambridge's I prefer that they stay more black cherry, or in other terms red and black. IMO that goes better with more of my suits than brown. The old timers used to use black Kiwi on #8, it helps blend the black spots in as they age. I prefer to stay away from waxes and polishes on shell but on a few of my burgundy may play around a little with it. I already use a little black once in a great while on the Cambridge's.

 

So I am better off with calf then for the shoes I prefer to stay burgundy. Is it really a time thing or light thing with shell. In the artworld it is Acid and light that fades pigment...hence Acid free matting, UV coated glass for framing, acid free paper for printing and for acrylic paints there is a clear coat you use to prevent paint colors from fading.

 

Just curious why a coating of some sort would not prevent the fade of shell unless there is acid in the leather itself causing it.

post #47894 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post
 

Has anyone else ever experienced difficulty ordering through the ShoeBank site? Waaay back on the first day of the 2 for $299 sale, I requested two pairs from the Port Washington store, and a few days later added a third. A week went by with no response from the store, so I emailed the store (politely of course) explaining the situation. They responded this time -- though no apology or explanation, which kind of annoyed me -- and said that one of the shoes I requested wasn't available -- which also kind of annoyed me, seeing as it had been when I placed the order/request. So I emailed back asking if I could now substitute another shoe, which to this minute still appears on their site in my size, and was told that also wasn't available, and that the inventory doesn't always match the website.

 

Through it all, I've found the service terrible -- not just the failure to respond to my order and the frustration of not being able to get the shoes, but also that it takes them about three days to respond to the simplest email query and they seem totally uninterested in making the sale. It's now been two weeks since I placed the request and they've not once asked whether I want the two pairs shipped that were (are still?) available and they've never offered to do anything about the mix-up on the third. Every email they send is a one-sentence response that gives the impression they view my attempt to purchase from them as an annoyance.


Yes, this has also been my experience (although they call back a bit more quickly) but I understand it - AE doesn't make much money from these types of sales and I can see why I wouldn't be considered a top priority at the time.  However, I also know that those experiences influence my firsts purchases as well.

post #47895 of 70737

Super excited about those Carlyle's in Bob's Chili. I was planning to MTO a burgundy Carlyle in the RDA sale, but with the fee now back in place, I think I've found a solution

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...