or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3184  

post #47746 of 70737
^^ From what I have seen (on TV) the laser pattern cutters can avoid sections that have been previously marked by a human.
post #47747 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

^^ From what I have seen (on TV) the laser pattern cutters can avoid sections that have been previously marked by a human.

As Seen on TV

post #47748 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

^^ From what I have seen (on TV) the laser pattern cutters can avoid sections that have been previously marked by a human.

If this is the case, and AE is using the laser cutter for all patterns & marking the leather for the machine, then it sounds good to me.
post #47749 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

If this is the case, and AE is using the laser cutter for all patterns & marking the leather for the machine, then it sounds good to me.
Of course I am purely speculating. Not sure if AE would go though the same lengths that Rolls Royce does for perfection.
post #47750 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Of course I am purely speculating. Not sure if AE would go though the same lengths that Rolls Royce does for perfection.

I've seen that "Making Of" video as well i think, is it the one that combines BMW as well (which own RR)? I am fascinated by seeing how things are made, from people that are passionate about what they are making...
post #47751 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I've seen that "Making Of" video as well i think, is it the one that combines BMW as well (which own RR)? I am fascinated by seeing how things are made, from people that are passionate about what they are making...
I can pretty much watch anyone make anything. Fascinating (to me).
post #47752 of 70737
I think I like the idea of hand - working better, especially from a company that markets itself as a heritage brand. However, I understand that they're working within a a certain economic scale, and skilled labor is a huge expense.

If I could afford it, I should probably start buying Vass or Alfred Sargeant once my current AE rotation has expired.
post #47753 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

Maybe I am overthinking this, but IMO...

Would you rather the car manufacturer have a worker braze your sheet metal parts by hand or use robotic welders to spot weld panels together?

This is probably the best analogy for using the available new technology versus the old world way of doing things.

If you were to make 3 cars a year like the Hennessey Venom gt, it is one thing, but when it is a Porsche 911 they make use of the latest technology.

 

So, If there were a one-off shoe maker that is making a pair at a time, and utilizes the old world methods, I am all for it.

In the case of AE, they are trying to streamline and make a more consistent product.

 

Drawing an analogy from a different industry may be losing some important context. I would be curious to know what a large, high-quality shoe manufacturer like Edward Green does? 

 

I think you also have to consider what introducing expensive new technology is doing to the company; AE prides itself on producing hand-made (I know this is already a debatable point) shoes using a 212 step process, and prides itself on the American employees who craft these shoes. What does this move say to those employees and to AE's customers? My point is that AE has lately been doing things that are taking it away from its current value proposition, which is why I imagine there is some talk in this thread about looking to other shoe manufacturers. The only thing that troubles me about this move away from its current value proposition is that AE has not stated what its new value proposition is. Does AE know where it is trying to go? If I was a shareholder in AE, now would be my time to sell my stock until I saw management moves that were actually in the direction of a clear direction.

post #47754 of 70737
I believe (and I hope) that EG still does clicking by hand the old fashioned way. If not, I guess I will be unloading my EGs.
post #47755 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I own one pair of black shoes (fifth avenue). Am I the only one who thinks black shoes are a bore? I have the Brooks brother version which is very comfortable but damn I feel asleep looking at it.

Anyone feel the same?

I put a mirror shine on the toe box of my black shoes, and now I can't wait for opportunities to wear them.

post #47756 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post
 

 

Those look great. Seems to be more of the darker Ravello type Walnut it seems?

 

I always think of Walnut Shell as being close to Ravello, but a pidge lighter.

 

-Mike

Given the variance in ravello over the years it's hard to say with certainty, but I would generally agree with Mr. Dubs...

Ravello --->  LWB (2012), PTB (2014), NST (NOS)  "In the shade"

 

In direct sunlight (very bright)

 

My Daltons have darkened in the year and a half that I've owned them.  An application of VSC may have darkened them some.

post #47757 of 70737

Bourbon Mora 2.0 today . . . I really need to wear these more often:

 

post #47758 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post
 

 

Those look great. Seems to be more of the darker Ravello type Walnut it seems?

 

I always think of Walnut Shell as being close to Ravello, but a pidge lighter.

 

-Mike

Given the variance in ravello over the years it's hard to say with certainty, but I would generally agree with Mr. Dubs...

Ravello --->  LWB (2012), PTB (2014), NST (NOS)  "In the shade"

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

In direct sunlight (very bright)

 

My Daltons have darkened in the year and a half that I've owned them.  An application of VSC may have darkened them some.

 

 

The LWBs are the color I think of when I think of Ravello.  I gather we won't see the likes of it again.

post #47759 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

Maybe I am overthinking this, but IMO...

Would you rather the car manufacturer have a worker braze your sheet metal parts by hand or use robotic welders to spot weld panels together?

This is probably the best analogy for using the available new technology versus the old world way of doing things.

If you were to make 3 cars a year like the Hennessey Venom gt, it is one thing, but when it is a Porsche 911 they make use of the latest technology.

 

So, If there were a one-off shoe maker that is making a pair at a time, and utilizes the old world methods, I am all for it.

In the case of AE, they are trying to streamline and make a more consistent product.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I've seen that "Making Of" video as well i think, is it the one that combines BMW as well (which own RR)? I am fascinated by seeing how things are made, from people that are passionate about what they are making...

Guess I'm getting off topic but not, I do agree with making a more consistent product.

 

When I first retired from the Navy I did some consulting work for BMW and the associated manufacturing companies that sprang up supporting them around Spartanburg, SC. One of those places produced the body panels. They were fully automated and used robotics to create them including robotic spot welding. The machines were huge, expensive, and custom made in Germany. The demand for the BMW's in the US was greater than anticipated so to keep up with the supply they had a station with men doing the same work, IIRC it was 6 of them. No AC, sweating like you can't believe it but busting their butts non stop for 8 hours a day. They sang as they worked to keep rhythm and flow what is called a hammer song. It was amazing to watch and listen. The plant manager told me the new machine was being delivered in another month and he would hate to see them go. When I asked about quality and output rate of man vs. machine he was quiet and finally said the machines in the end won on all accounts. He said that John Henry might have beat the steam hammer but he also died doing it, and that was the beginning of the end.

 

I have tried a few other brands including Alden, at least for shell. I keep coming back to AE and have no plans to leave them anytime soon. While most people say that Alden shell is "better" I disagree. It may take some work but when it is all said and done I am very pleased with my AE's, both shell and calf. And have some pleasure knowing I helped make my AE shell look good by working on them with the simple Mac method. Still wish they wouldn't be so heavy handed with the cream though LOL.

post #47760 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The LWBs are the color I think of when I think of Ravello.  I gather we won't see the likes of it again.

LoL. I think of the NSTs as being the "traditional" Ravello color. I would call the LWBs Redvello and the PTBs Brownvello. With that said the Redvello are my favorite color of the 3 Ravellos.

I really like his Dalton's, they are a bit darker than my Strands.

-Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...