or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3183  

post #47731 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

That is true about the customer service... Does Alden or others have poor customer service? Do they have quality control issues? 

PS. I don't wish to cause an argument, I really just don't have any experience with other companies.
Alden has their fair share of QC issues. I don't think (from others' experiences) that Alden is quite as accommodating. I do not know this first hand. But typically you buy Alden through retailers and most are great to work with.
post #47732 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 

That is true about the customer service... Does Alden or others have poor customer service? Do they have quality control issues? 

 

PS. I don't wish to cause an argument, I really just don't have any experience with other companies.

Honestly speaking, I cannot speak for Alden, let alone any others, as my dedication has been to AE since before I could remember. That being said, I've had no reason to walk away from AE, so I've not had a chance to experience other companies.

post #47733 of 70737

Also... I do have one issue with customer service, and I say this with the knowledge that when many of you say customer service you are talking about the actual employees that specifically handle customer service.

 

My issue is this: shouldn't quality control be taken into consideration when judging their customer service?

post #47734 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

Also... I do have one issue with customer service, and I say this with the knowledge that when many of you say customer service you are talking about the actual employees that specifically handle customer service.

My issue is this: shouldn't quality control be taken into consideration when judging their customer service?

Those are two separate parts of the business operation.

QA involves the product or service before the sale transaction. CS involves managing the experience AFTER.
post #47735 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr Mustard View Post
 

 

So there's no customer service help for seconds orders? I can understand that they don't want to get involved in complaints about flaws in the shoes themselves but what you've experienced is a good old-fashioned customer service problem. And it should be Customer Service 101 not to tell customers, "Sorry, that's not my responsibility, you're out of luck."


They do offer customer service for seconds, however, I believe this particular customer service agent simply didn't want to help.  When I went into the store they indicated that seconds quality shoes receive the same type of service as first quality shoes.  To their credit the store folks bent over backwards to help solve the issue.  In the end they essentially did - they offered tongue pads and some heel pads as well.  The tongue pads worked wonders - the shoes don't fit exactly like an 11E would have but it's pretty darn close.  I don't think I'll need the heel pads but I make the call in a few weeks without wearing them for a while.  I also put some heel pads in a few other pairs of AEs which needed a better fit as well.  In the end, yes it would have been nice to have received the correct order to begin with.  However, getting this type of service after spending ~$150 for a pair of $500 shoes is pretty darn good in my book.

post #47736 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 

Am I the only one that is bugged by the steady increase in price on AE shoes? When AE was bought a while back the shoes were 349 for a new pair of calf skin shoes. Now they are 385. The shell has also increased significantly, to the point where they are the same price as Aldens. From what I have heard, Alden shell is consistently better than AE shell, though I have never seen a pair of Aldens in person (to my knowledge).

 

Am I the only one considering looking elsewhere for my footwear?

 

I am looking into Alden, but not due to any mto issue.  I think the existing program is fair, supported professionally and costs are costs and a 10% price increase spread over the first year after a new buyer is predictable.  I'd be happy if a clear alternative with better value and pricing was present, but I do not think that exists right now (at least for me with size 15 foot).

 

Alden is offering more shell color choices and they have a few lighter colored shell items which I am attracted to.

 

The first step remains: Must put their shoes on your feet, they do not size the same (they say I may wear a size 14, despite 15 with AE)

 

-DC rep is sending me a pair to test drive which are unseen and 99% likely to be returned, but will give a start point for sizing.

-We are going to see Carole King Beautiful (with 6 front row center stage seats!) this Sunday, and I will try to steer our trip towards the Madison Ave store for a measurement.

 

After a purchase or two, I will be review real costs and compare perceived value.  From online reviews, I expect a less positive customer service experience than I experience with AE, but, I wear the shoes, not the experience.  :)

post #47737 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

Am I the only one that is bugged by the steady increase in price on AE shoes? When AE was bought a while back the shoes were 349 for a new pair of calf skin shoes. Now they are 385. The shell has also increased significantly, to the point where they are the same price as Aldens. From what I have heard, Alden shell is consistently better than AE shell, though I have never seen a pair of Aldens in person (to my knowledge).

Am I the only one considering looking elsewhere for my footwear?

While I understand that increasing costs resulted in AE price increases, I do wish they increased the workmanship and materials such as the threads used for stitching uppers. If they could step up the quality and workmanship, I'd even accept a greater increase in price. The lack of better workmanship is what never got me all that interested in the Independence collection. Seems like the upcharge for the Independence collection was 100% attributed to materials and a painted sole that attempted to look like a fiddleback sole. Why not offer tighter stitching (with better quality threads) and channeled soles for the high end collection?

Anyway, it's not like Alden calfskin shoes are a great value either. $385 AE calfskin shoes sounds expensive until you look at a pair of Aldens at $575. I think Alden does make their shoes to a slightly higher standard, but not nearly $200 higher.
post #47738 of 70737
We've learned that AE uses laser cutting to make the finer perfing and pinking details on the Independence models.
post #47739 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

We've learned that AE uses laser cutting to make the finer perfing and pinking details on the Independence models.
Is that all they use the laser cutter for?
post #47740 of 70737
I would think that they would use it to cut out all patterns. Not just certain portions on the independence models. I could be wrong.
post #47741 of 70737

Maybe I am overthinking this, but IMO...

Would you rather the car manufacturer have a worker braze your sheet metal parts by hand or use robotic welders to spot weld panels together?

This is probably the best analogy for using the available new technology versus the old world way of doing things.

If you were to make 3 cars a year like the Hennessey Venom gt, it is one thing, but when it is a Porsche 911 they make use of the latest technology.

 

So, If there were a one-off shoe maker that is making a pair at a time, and utilizes the old world methods, I am all for it.

In the case of AE, they are trying to streamline and make a more consistent product.

post #47742 of 70737
Laser cutting? I'm surprised if they are I would imagine it would burn the adjacent leather pretty good. I could see water jet maybe but more likely a Cnc machine with a circular cutting wheel.
post #47743 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilWagon View Post

Laser cutting? I'm surprised if they are I would imagine it would burn the adjacent leather pretty good. I could see water jet maybe but more likely a Cnc machine with a circular cutting wheel.
I believe the laser only projects the patterns and maps them out. Cutting can either be a wheel or even a water jet. That is how Rolls Royce cuts their interior patterns. I watch a lot of "how it's made", haha.
post #47744 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Those are two separate parts of the business operation.

QA involves the product or service before the sale transaction. CS involves managing the experience AFTER.

I understand this... and I mentioned that in my post.

 

Maybe I should have stated my issue in the following manner...

 

Wouldn't AE be treating their customers better (this is what I was referring to when I mentioned customer service) by simply putting out a good product the first time around BEFORE they ship it to you rather than sending you a flawed product, letting you find the flaw, having you send it back, and wait several more weeks to get another pair of shoes that might also be flawed? 

 

Making a quality product is IMO the first and most important step in ensuring that customers are happy with their purchases. I realize that this has nothing to do with AE's customer service division. However, making this a priority would ensure a higher level of service to the customers, which is why I referred to it as customer service, which was apparently a poor choice of words on my part.

 

Also, I think when it comes to AE's superior customer service I think the phrase "practice makes perfect" applies perfectly. I think you all know what I am getting at here.

post #47745 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I would think that they would use it to cut out all patterns. Not just certain portions on the independence models. I could be wrong.

This is what i was thinking, but i want to make sure i understand correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Maybe I am overthinking this, but IMO...
Would you rather the car manufacturer have a worker braze your sheet metal parts by hand or use robotic welders to spot weld panels together?
This is probably the best analogy for using the available new technology versus the old world way of doing things.
If you were to make 3 cars a year like the Hennessey Venom gt, it is one thing, but when it is a Porsche 911 they make use of the latest technology.

So, If there were a one-off shoe maker that is making a pair at a time, and utilizes the old world methods, I am all for it.
In the case of AE, they are trying to streamline and make a more consistent product.

Regarding technology, it depends on wether it's application increases the quality of the final product, or reduced it.

A manufacturer that only uses laser cutting for all of their pattern cutting can no longer ensure proper leather selections for the variety of sections that make up an upper. A hand clicker feels the leather to make judgements to find the prime sections of each leather piece. Leaving the best parts for the vamp/cap toe & lacings, while picking slightly lesser prime piece for the quarters, throat, & heel. If i recall the old AE factory tour video, they mention being able to complete about 12 uppers per leather hide. That is a large number, that already has the consequences of having plenty of marginal leather cut choices. If a machine is doing all of the cutting, the selection quality will probably be more random that before.

I might be wrong, and their laser cutter might be able to make those section distinctions. Or, maybe a person visually scores the sections, so that the machine knows the sections of varying quality, and it cuts the pieces accordingly. Maybe AE isn't even using the laser cutter universally at all, but if they are, there is a big change that it will decrease the leather quality...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...