or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3174  

post #47596 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

So what are we wearing today?

Merlot McAllisters:

post #47597 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

I picked up a pair of Park Aves from ebay for $56. The seller listed them cheaply because she couldn't remove a white scuff from one of the toes. I tried every trick I could find on the Internet, but it wasn't until I resorted to nail polish remover and a Q-tip that it finally came off. I then spent the rest of the day adding light coats of black polish to the shoes, letting them dry and buffing, and repeating the process until they started to look decent.

Delivered:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



After 4-5 light coats of polish:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



I plan to continue working on them over the weekend. I obviously wanted new Park Aves, but I never bought a pair because I knew I'd rarely wear them - I always ended up buying a different shoe. I am psyched to finally have a pair of Park Aves! It feels like the last hole in my shoe game is filled and I can now sleep at night. smile.gif

 

great job, made me realize how poorly shined my black park ave's 

post #47598 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

I picked up a pair of Park Aves from ebay for $56. The seller listed them cheaply because she couldn't remove a white scuff from one of the toes. I tried every trick I could find on the Internet, but it wasn't until I resorted to nail polish remover and a Q-tip that it finally came off. I then spent the rest of the day adding light coats of black polish to the shoes, letting them dry and buffing, and repeating the process until they started to look decent.

Delivered:






After 4-5 light coats of polish:








I plan to continue working on them over the weekend. I obviously wanted new Park Aves, but I never bought a pair because I knew I'd rarely wear them - I always ended up buying a different shoe. I am psyched to finally have a pair of Park Aves! It feels like the last hole in my shoe game is filled and I can now sleep at night. smile.gif

Whoah, great work! You are the king of fortuitous pickups. And great photos.
post #47599 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Whoah, great work! You are the king of fortuitous pickups. And great photos.

That's a pretty good find, but I think it may be hard to top the $55 shell cordovan Bradleys and the $65 shell cordovan MacNeils I picked up on eBay....
post #47600 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedBird View Post

That's a pretty good find, but I think it may be hard to top the $55 shell cordovan Bradleys and the $65 shell cordovan MacNeils I picked up on eBay....

Yeah THAT was pretty spectacular. Though I completely forgot about my own find: brand new first quality burgundy townleys at Century 21 for $49.
post #47601 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Yeah THAT was pretty spectacular. Though I completely forgot about my own find: brand new first quality burgundy townleys at Century 21 for $49.

worship.gif You win!!!
post #47602 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

So what are we wearing today?

Shell Leeds

post #47603 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

I picked up a pair of Park Aves from ebay for $56. The seller listed them cheaply because she couldn't remove a white scuff from one of the toes. I tried every trick I could find on the Internet, but it wasn't until I resorted to nail polish remover and a Q-tip that it finally came off. I then spent the rest of the day adding light coats of black polish to the shoes, letting them dry and buffing, and repeating the process until they started to look decent.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Delivered:






After 4-5 light coats of polish:






I plan to continue working on them over the weekend. I obviously wanted new Park Aves, but I never bought a pair because I knew I'd rarely wear them - I always ended up buying a different shoe. I am psyched to finally have a pair of Park Aves! It feels like the last hole in my shoe game is filled and I can now sleep at night. smile.gif

Wow great pickup and job with the PA's!! Didn't you say last week that you were not very knowledgeable in shell care then posted a picture of your shell Strands that would glow in the dark after you were done with them?! I'd say you have it down better than most with both shell and calf, fantastic job.

post #47604 of 70737
 




I plan to continue working on them over the weekend. I obviously wanted new Park Aves, but I never bought a pair because I knew I'd rarely wear them - I always ended up buying a different shoe. I am psyched to finally have a pair of Park Aves! It feels like the last hole in my shoe game is filled and I can now sleep at night. smile.gif

These look fantastic.  Did you find your exact size or did you need to concede?  I picked up a pair of dark brown Rutledge (size 11E) for $150 during the recent sale but they sent me 11EEE.  Oddly they fit better than I expected but they still seem too wide.  I'm going to hit a local store today to see if I can try on a 3 last shoe in 11E to determine if I should keep them or send them back.  According to the Shoebank site there is an 11E available.  If it's the 11EEE's or nothing I may well keep them as they fit fairly well.

post #47605 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

So what are we wearing today?



Snuff suede neumoks
post #47606 of 70737
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with this one so far, I definitely lucked out but I'd be thrilled to find some shell options at those insane prices. I mean ...Damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Wow great pickup and job with the PA's!! Didn't you say last week that you were not very knowledgeable in shell care then posted a picture of your shell Strands that would glow in the dark after you were done with them?! I'd say you have it down better than most with both shell and calf, fantastic job.

Thanks Cold Iron! I've read and re-read every online resource I could find on proper shoe care, and this forum alone has been an invaluable help. I won't lie, freaked out when the nail polish remover left a slight rub/burn/abrasion mark on the leather, but knew from research that this could happen and from most reports the ensuing polishing would fill in and cover it up, which it has.

Right now that toe looks completely blemish-free, and I will do my best to keep it that way. smile.gif



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb06 View Post

These look fantastic.  Did you find your exact size or did you need to concede? 

Thanks! I definitely conceded. I am an 11.5 D in the 5 last and these are 11.5 B. What's weird is that they fit great, at least from walking a bit around the house, but the true test will come when I head out and about for the night. I'm actually surprised at how comfortable they feel, as I've been trying not to admit that they feel more comfortable than my other, newer shoes, but I suspect it's because they are already nicely broken in. While the soles are still in decent shape, these shoes have definitely been worn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

So what are we wearing today?

Dressed down Cambridge.





Have a great weekend guys!
post #47607 of 70737

I have mold all over the bottom of my sole. What should I do?

 

What happened is I wore them and it rained. They had a 2 day rest at the hotel and when it was time to go home I put them in a bag and packed them. It was a 20 hour train ride and when I got hom I crashed for a bit. When I took them out that evening I saw mold all over the bottom of them. Outside not inside.

 

I used a tooth brush and scrubbed it with AE cleaner conditioner. I figured it wouldn't help much if at all, but gave it a try anyway. It's been 2 days and I see the mold starting to come back.

 

Could I just dilute some bleach and scrub the soles without worrying about much/any damage?

post #47608 of 70737
PSA: Ashland Shell Bifold at Massdrop for $139.99!! #8 Black and Dark Brown https://www.massdrop.com/r/5EQ5WK
post #47609 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

So what are we wearing today?

 

Brown CXL Bayfields.

post #47610 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimmyS View Post

I have mold all over the bottom of my sole. What should I do?

What happened is I wore them and it rained. They had a 2 day rest at the hotel and when it was time to go home I put them in a bag and packed them. It was a 20 hour train ride and when I got hom I crashed for a bit. When I took them out that evening I saw mold all over the bottom of them. Outside not inside.

I used a tooth brush and scrubbed it with AE cleaner conditioner. I figured it wouldn't help much if at all, but gave it a try anyway. It's been 2 days and I see the mold starting to come back.

Could I just dilute some bleach and scrub the soles without worrying about much/any damage?

Wipe down with vinegar solution?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...