or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 317  

post #4741 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

I have ordered and am awaiting delivery of a pair of the new Norwich in brown cordovan in size 12E.  The AE website images of the shoes are just temporary and not yet representative of the actual shoes, but I figure they are going to look sweet so I bought them sight unseen.  When they come I'll post photos, but AE will probably have their own photos up by then.  

Please do post pictures when you get a chance. I am very curious to see a brown cordovan Norwich in the wild. If you have any sizing feedback (versus, say, 5 last) that would also be appreciated.

 

I'm still waiting.  I made the original order online and it somehow got lost in limbo or the cloud or something.  I ordered them the first day they offered them, but reordered over the phone after a couple weeks wait when I called to check on something else and asked, as an aside, how they were coming along and was told the original order hadn't gone through--even though I got a confirmation email.  Who knows?  But it's all sorted out now.  I already have the Norwich in brown and black and I have the Lubbock too, all in 12E.  So we'll see how the new ones in cordovan fit.  Long story short, I haven't forgot and  I'll post photos.  It's taking forever for AE to get photos of an actual pair of the cordovan Norwich on the website! 

 

edited to include quote from Papa Doble.

post #4742 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer07 View Post


Just joined the club, came in the mail today.


350x467px-LL-ffc5c801_167toqg.jpeg


And I have some McClain's on the way as well.

That's it. This pic convinced me...I must get the McAllisters. They look fantastic!
post #4743 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post


Please do post pictures when you get a chance. I am very curious to see a brown cordovan Norwich in the wild. If you have any sizing feedback (versus, say, 5 last) that would also be appreciated.

 

I see how it works now--not just reply, but quote the post too.  I'll get back with the pics, Papa Doble.  I'm probably not going to be much help on the question about lasts, since all my shoes are made on the same last.

post #4744 of 70737
Just received a pair of merlot McAllisters from Amazon today - a nice deal at $245. They are absolutely gorgeous shoes (and fortunately defect-free... I was nervous given some of the Amazon reviews complaining about receiving beat up pairs). My third pair of AEs, alongside some black Cliftons and a pair of black Strands that I've worn into the ground and mostly retired.
post #4745 of 70737

Just got some new AE shoes in. My old ever day loafers finally broke so...

 

IMAG0532.jpg

 

I just slipped them on pretty comfortable. Dont know why some guys hate the brand so much, perhaps like Alden they are American shoes and perhaps cater to the masses? Still for the price they trump any Cole Haan, Kennith Cole or whatever off the rack shoe.

post #4746 of 70737

Are pre-owned (been worn but minimally and looks new) Allen Edmonds worth 150-175 + shipping? 

post #4747 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

 

 


I have seen them in the store.  The principal difference is the squared-off toe.  Take a look at the different views for the shoe on the Allen Edmonds website.  I have to say I like the round-toe look better.

 


I think I agree, however, I do like the sleeker, less chunky option for the longwing.  But the squared off toe is disappointing.

post #4748 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer View Post

Or one of you guys could contact AE Support and ask them, putting the speculation to rest.

Thanks for the suggestion

"Thank you for your interest in Allen Edmonds.

Yes, the Kenwood style is manufactured right here in the USA at our Port Washington, Wisconsin factory. All of our shoes using the 360-degree Goodyear welted process are manufactured in the United States of America.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Allen Edmonds Customer Service"
post #4749 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


Thanks for the suggestion
"Thank you for your interest in Allen Edmonds.
Yes, the Kenwood style is manufactured right here in the USA at our Port Washington, Wisconsin factory. All of our shoes using the 360-degree Goodyear welted process are manufactured in the United States of America.
Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Allen Edmonds Customer Service"

 

 

Yeah, that's on the site too. But please actually contact them if you are going to act like you do. Did a bit more research on this. Tubular moc construction. Quoting from the website...

 

"Allen Edmonds handsewns use a tubular moc construction. This technique allows the lower leather to be pulled up around the last and stitched to the upper leather, resulting in an extremely comfortable and flexible shoe. The sole is then either stitched or adhered to the upper to complete the shoe."

 

So no, again, no Goodyear welting here. The insole (lower) is pulled up around the bottom of the last and the upper is pulled down around the top of the last, then they are handsewn together. NOT GOODYEAR WELTED. The sole then is either attached with stitching or glueing. Case closed.

post #4750 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

Are pre-owned (been worn but minimally and looks new) Allen Edmonds worth 150-175 + shipping? 

 

 



I dont think so. Allen Edmond retails for what 250-300? Pre owned I would say....maybe $60 is fair (If they where like 200 new). Clothes dont hold value well regardless of how well taken care of they are. Unless your a celebrity that is.

post #4751 of 70737

Does it make a difference if the shoe is hand sewn or Goodyear welted?  In terms of durability, I thought the issue was a 360 or 270 welt versus a glued on sole? 

post #4752 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Does it make a difference if the shoe is hand sewn or Goodyear welted?  In terms of durability, I thought the issue was a 360 or 270 welt versus a glued on sole? 

There is an entire thread dedicated to this point.
post #4753 of 70737

^^^ Never mind then, I don't want to open that can.

post #4754 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whochrisliu View Post

Just got some new AE shoes in. My old ever day loafers finally broke so...

 

IMAG0532.jpg

 

I just slipped them on pretty comfortable. Dont know why some guys hate the brand so much, perhaps like Alden they are American shoes and perhaps cater to the masses? Still for the price they trump any Cole Haan, Kennith Cole or whatever off the rack shoe.

 

Very nice and I agree. In addition to dress shoes I have been switching over my casual shoes to AE also. Purchased the Eastport in tan which was a little too light but I didn't want them too dark either. 2 treatments with Obenauf's leather oil and they are the color I wanted plus now waterproof

 

Eastport.jpg

post #4755 of 70737

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whochrisliu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post

Are pre-owned (been worn but minimally and looks new) Allen Edmonds worth 150-175 + shipping? 

 


I dont think so. Allen Edmond retails for what 250-300? Pre owned I would say....maybe $60 is fair (If they where like 200 new). Clothes dont hold value well regardless of how well taken care of they are. Unless your a celebrity that is.

 


They typically retail for $335 or so, $245 on sale (only for select styles). If you check ebay, you will see that a pair of Allen Edmonds that retailed in the $335 range will sell for at least $100 used, typically more.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...