or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3150  

post #47236 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

Wait, there's a world outside SF?
Crap. I shouldn't have said anything...
post #47237 of 70737

RE: options for MTO, what kind of leathers can you choose? Anything they have available for other shoes? just what is in stock? or do they go out and find stuff?

 

So, let's say I wanted to recreate the 5 macneil on on the regular macneil last. Could I do that even if they don't currently stock anything with color 8 cxl?

post #47238 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Crap. I shouldn't have said anything...

Haha

 

 

Watchuseec....just when you thought shells are expensive, haha. 

post #47239 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Plus, much more easily obtainable due to being domestic and the sheer quantities they manufacture.

Customer Support is outstanding as well.

Also, they fit my odd feet. smile.gif

Check, Double Check and Triple Check.... Well said!

 

I will also add that adding 400 jobs for the good people in Wi. over the last 4 years means something to me too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

Out of curiosity, did you end up putting a Vibram sole on your 744s? I've meant to do this for a while, but Nick at B.Nelson keeps discouraging me as the rubber outsole won't properly adhere to the butyl sole. 

No I did not, for the same exact reason Nick stated. Although I heard it from Debbie at AE when I was thinking of putting butyl soles on my cappuccino Bayfields. She says sometimes it works but other times it does not and there is no way to tell. Once they start to come off nothing will stick and the soles will be a mess and pretty much require a resole. She is the most senior person at AE in terms of employment and experience, when she talks I listen :)

post #47240 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post


Apart from the Dalton AE doesn't have any options worth considering IMO. There are other brands.

 

You clearly don't wear EEE, but yes, there are technically other brands. Alden and Florsheim, I suppose? I don't like the stock color options for the majority of Alden's shoes, but I suppose an MTO with different leather choices would be an interesting, if not much more expensive option... I won't even bother discussing Florsheim.

 

Perhaps I'm just too laser-focused, but I don't really know of any other brands worth considering for the EEE wearer.

post #47241 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

The Alden x Jcrew captoe boots didn't fit. Already returned. They didn't really jump out at me as a better quality of shell versus my AE's. The #8 was handsome, but definitely stuck out due it le purplish nature.

Now I must decide if I want to entertain the 744's again or go more for something more conventional lke an AE Bradley in shell.

I have the 744 and I like them. I'd choose them over any other boot AE makes any day. This said though, Bl@ster's Promontory Point MTOs are incredible. 

At the 744's price point though, I'd be hard pressed not to go with some of the Alden's offerings. Not sure whether you want a more casual or more dressy boot, but Alden's Jumpers and Wingtips in #8 cordovan are as beautiful and versatile as it gets. Make no mistake, the 744 is a great boot, but did I not get it on sale at the Shoebank earlier this year, I would not pay a full retail for it. If I recall correctly, it was once on sale at either Bloomingdale's or Neiman Marcus for 25% off + an additional 10% for the first time shoppers, but I have not seen any discounts ever since. 

post #47242 of 70737

Any suggestions on pulling the mto special pricing would be appreciated!

post #47243 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post

Any suggestions on pulling the mto special pricing would be appreciated!
what do you mean?
post #47244 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post
 

Any suggestions on pulling the mto special pricing would be appreciated!

There's no MTO fee for the SF members. Perhaps, for starters, you might want to become an active member.  

post #47245 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

...This said though, Bl@ster's Promontory Point MTOs are incredible.

Including the pair he rejected and sold on to me!
post #47246 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

You clearly don't wear EEE, but yes, there are technically other brands. Alden and Florsheim, I suppose? I don't like the stock color options for the majority of Alden's shoes, but I suppose an MTO with different leather choices would be an interesting, if not much more expensive option... I won't even bother discussing Florsheim.

Perhaps I'm just too laser-focused, but I don't really know of any other brands worth considering for the EEE wearer.

Some of my AE's are EEE. My Daltons are E. My point was that outside of the Dalton there aren't any boots in the AE catalog worth considering for MTO. You can get E and even EEE from Alden if necessary.
post #47247 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCer View Post


Including the pair he rejected and sold on to me!

 

I asked about a black Cordovan pair of these yesterday, they say only current boots can be mto.   Have never seen a pair like this.  Nice!

post #47248 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post
 

 

I asked about a black Cordovan pair of these yesterday, they say only current boots can be mto.   Have never seen a pair like this.  Nice!

So the Promontory is discontinued then?  I didn't know.  I'm a little frustrated by these boots myself...because I got them at the end of the season, and haven't even had a chance to wear them yet!  :censored:  ...I'll stop just shy of wishing for winter to come along though.  I drool over them every once in a while in my closet... (FYI, the rejection wasn't based on any construction or quality issues, it was a wrong colour welt, and incorrect insole, neither of which I could care less about.)

post #47249 of 70737

Hi Everyone,

 

This is my first post on Style Forum and I'm a new owner of fine(r) shoes, so please take that into consideration! 

 

I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Neumok from Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale.

 

They arrived and I am noticing some distressing on the leather of a new shoe.

 

Are these normal? 

 

Would these be B-stock? 

 

Is this a sign of dry leather, and if so, what type of conditioner should I use to protect them?

 

 

Thank you for your help!

post #47250 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPig View Post

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Style Forum and I'm a new owner of fine(r) shoes, so please take that into consideration! 

I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Neumok from Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale.

They arrived and I am noticing some distressing on the leather of a new shoe.

Are these normal? 

Would these be B-stock? 

Is this a sign of dry leather, and if so, what type of conditioner should I use to protect them?






Thank you for your help!

That shoe is made of distressed navy leather. It's normal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...