or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3117  

post #46741 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post

You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you? I worry that the Patriot looks a little too formal for jeans and general casual wear. Am I wrong in that assumption? 

Just googled it. Don't think it looks particularly dressy, though maybe wouldn't work well with shorts. Would def be cool with jeans/chinos.

post #46742 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
 

I got a pair of Kenwood loafers in burgundy today by mail. I sized down per the reviews, and the length feels great, but my heel still slips. It feels like these are unusually stiff compared to other AEs I have, and definitely stiffer than comparable Alden pairs. I mention this only to make it clear that I know what good shoes feel like and that they need break-in, but these are on a different level. 

 

Anyhow, I'm wondering if folks can recommend another pair of non-shell burgundy loafers that are casual enough to be suitable with jeans and chinos. I like beefrolls if I can find them, but looks like AE doesn't have any. I think I'd prefer a real calfskin to the corrected grain leather, as it would be more supple than what I got with the Kenwoods. Am I correct in that assumption? My calfskin shoes are much softer than whatever AE uses on the Kenwood. 

 

check the Sebago handsewn line..about $350 - $400 - I have an older pair that are great and they seem to understand heel ratio better than AE -

post #46743 of 70737

Here is an example of my new Addison next to my older Sebago Handsewn in USA and you can easily see the difference in the taper to the heel of the foot. I think this is the part AE just does not get. For the record the Addison's fit me great - I am guessing my high arch which keeps the bals from lacing tight is filling out the loafer..win some and lose some. sorry for the shitty photo my DSL batter is dead. 

 

These shoes are both 13D

 

post #46744 of 70737

It terms of maintenance, if I used shoe trees and got them shoe shined at Nordstroms, would that be enough? Would they know how to shine a Walnut shoe? 

 

(i'm kinda scared to do the maintenance myself)

post #46745 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post
 

It terms of maintenance, if I used shoe trees and got them shoe shined at Nordstroms, would that be enough? Would they know how to shine a Walnut shoe? 

 

(i'm kinda scared to do the maintenance myself)

 

I would imagine that a professional shoe-shiner knows how to shine all tones of brown calfskin shoes.

post #46746 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czilla9000 View Post

It terms of maintenance, if I used shoe trees and got them shoe shined at Nordstroms, would that be enough? Would they know how to shine a Walnut shoe? 

(i'm kinda scared to do the maintenance myself)

No reason to be scared of doing the maintenance yourself. Pick up some neutral leather conditioner and polish, read/watch a few tips on the AE site and you'll be good.
post #46747 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

Came home to these bad boys waiting for me from the SB. The only reason I believe they're not firsts is because there is some darkening around the stitching on the toes on both shoes, which I can completely live with. Just a quick question about the fit: When I put them on and stand, they fit perfectly, but as I'm walking and put my heel down in front of me to take a step, they tend to bow out mildly from the sides. Is this in the realm of normality for loafers and will it get worse or better with time?

They are a great looking shoe, congrats! With mild bowing it is usually lack of volume in AE shoes due to the unique construction. AE stores sell black superfeet 3/4 length inserts for ~$20 and I think one of the main reasons is to add more volume to the shoe for customers that experience minor bowing. They have replaced my $400 custom orthotics and work better for my foot. Might be worth a try.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
 

I got a pair of Kenwood loafers in burgundy today by mail. I sized down per the reviews, and the length feels great, but my heel still slips. It feels like these are unusually stiff compared to other AEs I have, and definitely stiffer than comparable Alden pairs. I mention this only to make it clear that I know what good shoes feel like and that they need break-in, but these are on a different level. 

 

Anyhow, I'm wondering if folks can recommend another pair of non-shell burgundy loafers that are casual enough to be suitable with jeans and chinos. I like beefrolls if I can find them, but looks like AE doesn't have any. I think I'd prefer a real calfskin to the corrected grain leather, as it would be more supple than what I got with the Kenwoods. Am I correct in that assumption? My calfskin shoes are much softer than whatever AE uses on the Kenwood. 

The Patriot is perfect for jeans and chinos IMO. I have narrow heels and the Patriot is the first loafer where I didn't experience heel slip. I also have a low volume foot with little to no arch and the Patriot works well for me there too. Since then I also picked up the Manchester which also fits well, but it is a much dressier loafer. I don't have the calf but have 2 pair in shell, brown and burgundy. I feel you are correct in your assumption, CG leather is stiffer than regular calf in my limited experience with it. The shell is going to have rolls instead of creases but overall look is going to be close. Rolls in shell loafers is a classic look to me and my preference. My burgundy are at B. Nelson right now getting new welts and soles, I took some pictures before I sent them off to do a before and after comparison if that helps.

 

 

post #46748 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

They are a great looking shoe, congrats! With mild bowing it is usually lack of volume in AE shoes due to the unique construction. AE stores sell black superfeet 3/4 length inserts for ~$20 and I think one of the main reasons is to add more volume to the shoe for customers that experience minor bowing. They have replaced my $400 custom orthotics and work better for my foot. Might be worth a try.


 

 

 

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think these inserts will suit me better or tongue pads? I just ordered a couple cheap ones on eBay. I wonder if it matters whether my foot is being pushed down from the top or up from the bottom...

post #46749 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

 

 

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you think these inserts will suit me better or tongue pads? I just ordered a couple cheap ones on eBay. I wonder if it matters whether my foot is being pushed down from the top or up from the bottom...

 

order a pair of AE ortho inserts...there is very little in structure- I do not need ortho inserts and these are great and they make several of my shoes fit perfect or as close to it as can be due to my feet- 

post #46750 of 70737
Was thinking about getting another pair of boots. Curious what the gents here think about the Wolverine 744 LTD in brown cordovan versus the Alden Jcrew captoe boot in #8 shell.

I already have Daltons in both calf and cordovan, Fifth streets, and Alden Indy. Is the wolverine the answer just because it's different enough from the rest?
post #46751 of 70737
What do y'all recommend for the best interview shoes? I bought some walnut Strands and am thinking they may be too flashy?
post #46752 of 70737
Unless it is a crazy conservative firm you will be fine
post #46753 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgerrard View Post

What do y'all recommend for the best interview shoes? I bought some walnut Strands and am thinking they may be too flashy?

 

Depends on the industry. You can't go wrong with a captoe though, either stitched captoe or punched captoe.  

post #46754 of 70737
Its for residency interviews in the medical field, I guess that doesn't help you much though unless you are familiar with it. Moderately conservative. But I love the strands since I feel like they would go great in any other setting, especially for day to day shoes to wear in clinic.
post #46755 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgerrard View Post

Its for residency interviews in the medical field, I guess that doesn't help you much though unless you are familiar with it. Moderately conservative. But I love the strands since I feel like they would go great in any other setting, especially for day to day shoes to wear in clinic.


I am applying as well in the fall. I own walnut Strands and would never wear them to a residency interview. They're significantly flashy and I wouldn't want PDs to remember me as "the guy with the shoes." I actually just ordered the black Carlyle for this very purpose. I would, however, wear the Strands to the pre-interview dinner if there was one, and I do wear them around the wards pretty often.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...