or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3107  

post #46591 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I thought you guys might like to see the progress of my cappuccino shell Dundees. These came pretty cloudy and caked in creme.

Here is an untreated, hazy Dundee Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Let the arm workout begin...




Finished result


I think there is likely another round or two that needs to happen, but I am pleased with the initial result. The shell looks far healthier and has considerable more shine to it.
Nice job, Ryden. What did you do between the in process pic and what you called the finished result? Any more product or just brushing?
post #46592 of 70737
Lots of Renovateur! I basically continually worked small areas at a time until there was less creme being visibly removed abd then I went on to the next area. After that a ton of brushing. I haven't used any additional cordovan creme yet but I will once I am certain I have removed all applied other creme
post #46593 of 70737
thanks for all the answers guys. much appreciated.

what are your thoughts on dobbers vs just an old cloth? are they just easier to work with or do you find they provide a better application. read a bunch of google results on shoe shining and the thoughts vary wildly so i figured i ask the AE crowd
post #46594 of 70737
I should note that T Shirt is the result of just one shoe, not both. It took about 30-45 minutes so I did not have the opportunity to complete both
post #46595 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by linds_15 View Post

thanks for all the answers guys. much appreciated.

what are your thoughts on dobbers vs just an old cloth? are they just easier to work with or do you find they provide a better application. read a bunch of google results on shoe shining and the thoughts vary wildly so i figured i ask the AE crowd
Hmmm. Good question. You really need a brush to apply the polish to the welt area. I think the brushing with the large brush after applying the polish is what evens out the application more. I use the dauber all over the shoe to apply polish since I already have polish on it from brushing the welt area.
post #46596 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I should note that T Shirt is the result of just one shoe, not both. It took about 30-45 minutes so I did not have the opportunity to complete both
That is why I just let it happen naturally over a year or so on my Cambridge!
post #46597 of 70737
Is there a good conditioner that won't add color for shell? One of my burgundy Dundee seems to have a crackly looking roll in the valley. I've used a toothbrush in there thinking it was just the bloom but now not so sure. I'd rather not apply any colored AE creme as I'd still like them to lighten up some more.
post #46598 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmitty View Post

Is there a good conditioner that won't add color for shell? One of my burgundy Dundee seems to have a crackly looking roll in the valley. I've used a toothbrush in there thinking it was just the bloom but now not so sure. I'd rather not apply any colored AE creme as I'd still like them to lighten up some more.
I prefer Saphir's neutral cordovan creme.
post #46599 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post



I prefer Saphir's neutral cordovan creme.

 



Thats what I was thinking but didn't know what else was out there. Thanks!
post #46600 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I thought you guys might like to see the progress of my cappuccino shell Dundees. These came pretty cloudy and caked in creme.

Here is an untreated, hazy Dundee Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Let the arm workout begin...




Finished result



I think there is likely another round or two that needs to happen, but I am pleased with the initial result. The shell looks far healthier and has considerable more shine to it.

 

 

My favorite process for AE shell. Though I have gone through almost two jars of Reno now... I wonder if I should switch to using Renomat to get the excess polish off quicker in the future?

 

 

BTW those Dundees are a great color, I am a bit fan of very subtle red tones compared to the Brown shell. 

post #46601 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

 

 

My favorite process for AE shell. Though I have gone through almost two jars of Reno now... I wonder if I should switch to using Renomat to get the excess polish off quicker in the future?

 

 

BTW those Dundees are a great color, I am a bit fan of very subtle red tones compared to the Brown shell.

Short answer is yes, Renomat will work faster, but it is much stronger. So, much care needs to be taken to not make the color inconsistent.

post #46602 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

 

 

My favorite process for AE shell. Though I have gone through almost two jars of Reno now... I wonder if I should switch to using Renomat to get the excess polish off quicker in the future?

 

 

BTW those Dundees are a great color, I am a bit fan of very subtle red tones compared to the Brown shell. 

I often wonder the same. I go through a lot of Renovateur as well...TBH, I am a bit scared of Renomat. I know it can be highly effective but I believe you have to be super careful how you use it so that you don't remove too much and create any spotting. I am sure if I used it I would be less nervous but something prevents me from trying it out. Feel free to send me one of your pair of shell as the guinea pig ;) 

post #46603 of 70737
I have Renomat, but I have yet to use it on anything. I bought it just to have it, really. Maybe someday I'll find the correct use for it...haha
post #46604 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

I often wonder the same. I go through a lot of Renovateur as well...TBH, I am a bit scared of Renomat. I know it can be highly effective but I believe you have to be super careful how you use it so that you don't remove too much and create any spotting. I am sure if I used it I would be less nervous but something prevents me from trying it out. Feel free to send me one of your pair of shell as the guinea pig ;)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

I have Renomat, but I have yet to use it on anything. I bought it just to have it, really. Maybe someday I'll find the correct use for it...haha

 

I bought a pair of cheap shell beaters on eBay that I refinished to get a feel for it.

Honestly, it isn't all that hard to get right, but you should be aware that it can make some light spots if you rub too hard.

I wouldn't hesitate on a good pair of shoes if I was looking to do it.

post #46605 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

Short answer is yes, Renomat will work faster, but it is much stronger. So, much care needs to be taken to not make the color inconsistent.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

I often wonder the same. I go through a lot of Renovateur as well...TBH, I am a bit scared of Renomat. I know it can be highly effective but I believe you have to be super careful how you use it so that you don't remove too much and create any spotting. I am sure if I used it I would be less nervous but something prevents me from trying it out. Feel free to send me one of your pair of shell as the guinea pig ;) 

 

I have yet to grab some as I am a bit scared to use it too. I am sure it would be fine, I might pick some up just to have on hand for when I feel brave enough to give it a try haha. FOr now Reno works well for removing the excess polish, it just takes time. I went back to my Dundees several times to remove more, I think one more round and they might be down to the bare shell finally. They were easily the most caked on out of all my AE shell. The color now has a lot of variation and I think someone was trying to even it out or cover it up at the factory.

 

 

Here was the original look:

 

 

First round with Reno: 

 

 

After about 5 wearings and the first round of Reno (same indoor office lighting):

 

 

This is after a couple of rounds of Reno and about 15 wearings, such great tones coming out. I love the rolls on the left shoe, the right shoe went a little strange though... oh well.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...