Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 4/28/16 at 12:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3064post #45946 of 707376/25/14 at 6:56ampost #45947 of 707376/25/14 at 7:01ampost #45948 of 707376/25/14 at 7:06ampost #45949 of 707376/25/14 at 7:07amQuote:
+1, I wear my Walnut Shells primarily with lighter grey suits... If iam being adventurous, I will do navy or darker greys...
-Mikepost #45950 of 707376/25/14 at 7:08ampost #45951 of 707376/25/14 at 7:13amQuote:
Ha, I saw the question on the Alden thread, and then looked up some of Ryden's work... Cool he did CDs and stuff before...
Thanks! I was shooting for a mix between Alden's Cigar style (brown shell with "antique edging") and the AE Independence line... I strongly believe AE should do an Indy collection Strand. I went medium brown, as the light brown (transparent) was lighter than I liked... The heel stack looked odd to me the different pieces were significantly differ color tones.this one is a bit better... The Strand is my favorite AE design.
-Mikepost #45952 of 707376/25/14 at 7:16amQuote:
There are tons of polishes that you can use to darken them. The AE Walnut polish, tends to make them look very orange. You could try kiwi or Saphir polishes...
-Mikepost #45953 of 707376/25/14 at 7:23amQuote:Quote:
Agreed. I used walnut premium polish on my Mcallisters and they turned out much too orange. I've started using some dark brown premium polish and wax and it's getting darker. It takes time a little bit of time and work.post #45954 of 707376/25/14 at 7:25ampost #45955 of 707376/25/14 at 7:27amQuote:
Dark brown? I've tried Saphir cognac and light brown to play around with color due to how orange AE's walnut is, but would imagine dark brown will leave you with a dark brown shoe. No?post #45956 of 707376/25/14 at 7:27ampost #45957 of 707376/25/14 at 7:32amQuote:
The color doesn't seem to stay on the shoes as dark as I thought it would. It's not a heavy coat or anything and my excess brushing and buffing might be weakening the effect. My original though was that since AE's Bourbon is a walnut base + black polish this would produce a similar effect over time. I forgot to mention that the walnut color has basically fallen out of favor with me since I find it pretty much useless on a balmoral so the darker, the better.post #45958 of 707376/25/14 at 7:44am
I tried on a pair of Park Avenues at Macy's last weekend that were on the clearance rack. They were size 9 but fit my foot fine (no tightness at all). I usually wear size 10s. I chatted with an AE rep online who told me they tend to run long so that makes sense.
At any rate, I noticed the topline of the vamp area (around my ankle) rubbed my ankle. That is, my feet sit too deep in the shoe and when I walk it chafes my ankle bone skin area. I guess I have a lower arch/instep and the shoe is too deep for me.
I'm thinking the 5-65 last might not be good for my feet.
I really like the look of the Carlyle. I would like to have it in walnut if it fits.
The rep mentioned the Walton, Benton and ... I can't remember the last one for lower vamps but I'm not sure about that. Especially since the Benton is deep intended for orthotics.
Anyway, what I'd ultimately like are two shoes - a formal black oxford (something like Park Ave but better fit) and something like the Carlyle in walnut.
Unfortunately there is no AE store in my area. There are mens stores that carry the brand so I plan on going to try some on but was wondering if anyone could help in my search.
Oh yeah, I bought the Park Aves because how cheap they were (on clearance). Is there any way I can modify these shoes to fit me better or is it a lost cause and I should just return them?
Sampost #45959 of 707376/25/14 at 7:48amQuote:Originally Posted by NWTeal
The color doesn't seem to stay on the shoes as dark as I thought it would. It's not a heavy coat or anything and my excess brushing and buffing might be weakening the effect. My original though was that since AE's Bourbon is a walnut base + black polish this would produce a similar effect over time. I forgot to mention that the walnut color has basically fallen out of favor with me since I find it pretty much useless on a balmoral so the darker, the better.
Okay, just realized you are useing AE's dark brown polish. In that case, what you say makes sense. I find that AE's polishes seem to change the color temporarily whereas Saphir has more pigments and effects a more permanent color change.post #45960 of 707376/25/14 at 7:57amQuote:
Ah, interesting. Maybe I should upgrade to some Saphir polish to save myself some time. Are you using the saphir cream shoe polish?
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Mod to Suedehead 14 seconds ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 57 seconds ago
- › + DRIES VAN NOTEN + 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Burberry Trench Coat Mens (Black, Size 48, Single breasted) 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 7 minutes ago
- › Ralph Lauren Purple Label Shirt Linen, Plaid, Multi, Size M, RLPL 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 9 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts