or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3054  

post #45796 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post

I actually thought about getting the rush streets when they first came out but held off. I wasn't sure how it would look but you rock it well! Thanks, I certainly will especially after I messed up my sizing on my rancourt custom loafers 😭
Over under method on left shoe? I'm trying it out on my boots. It definitely works better on flat laces than leather laces.
Man I gotta get me a pair of brown shell strands one day!
Thanks sir!

You should get some Brown Shell Strands. They rock. I MTOed a pair with "antique" edging and fudged edging. They are simply awesome.

-Mike
post #45797 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

You should get some Brown Shell Strands. They rock. I MTOed a pair with "antique" edging and fudged edging. They are simply awesome.

-Mike

Haha mm yeah yours are really gorgeous Mike! Heck all your shoes are! The question is is it too similar to my bourbon ones albeit my bourbon ones don't have the medallion.
post #45798 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

You should get some Brown Shell Strands. They rock. I MTOed a pair with "antique" edging and fudged edging. They are simply awesome.

-Mike

Haha mm yeah yours are really gorgeous Mike! Heck all your shoes are! The question is is it too similar to my bourbon ones albeit my bourbon ones don't have the medallion.

 

Color-wise, my brown shell Strands (which sadly I don't wear anymore - a casualty of my now higher standards when it comes to seconds (thanks SF)) don't look anything like my bourbon shoes (Mora 2.0 and Hanover).  If you want 'em, go get 'em.

post #45799 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

Three rounds of polish removal with Reno later and a 12x12 cloth ruined, the Strands are finally showing signs of bare cordovan goodness. Lots of great variation in the color now which I love about cordovan. They change tones no matter what angle you look at them.

 

 

Beautifully done! I also like how brown and lighter shell changes tones based on lighting. I just finished brushing my walnut shell Strands for wear next week and they keep getting darker over time. If the sun ever comes out this weekend I should take a picture.

post #45800 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

Beautifully done! I also like how brown and lighter shell changes tones based on lighting. I just finished brushing my walnut shell Strands for wear next week and they keep getting darker over time. If the sun ever comes out this weekend I should take a picture.

 

Does anyone have any clue at all when AE will get more Walnut Shell?

post #45801 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

 

Does anyone have any clue at all when AE will get more Walnut Shell?

 

The million dollar question... 

 

I actually better put aside at least like $1300 for a couple of MTO if it does come back. I think I would do a pair of Leeds and a pair of Daltons or Strands. I always wanted a pair of McAllisters in walnut but now I have the Truffle pair so I think I could pass.

 

 

Oh my... A walnut shell Promontory Point MTO in walnut shell would be the ultimate, sad that boot got discontinued. 

post #45802 of 70737

first wear & first post. factory second Neumok in blue.

 

 

 

 

 

post #45803 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pease View Post
 

first wear & first post. factory second Neumok in blue.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

That's a nice rich blue. The v-gap could be a little narrower.

post #45804 of 70737
Walnut MacNeil 5's today!

post #45805 of 70737

Does anyone own the Sun River chromexcel belt and can speak on the quality? I am thinking of snagging one in natural CXL for my Alden PTB

post #45806 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMcGee View Post
 

So I randomly acquired a free pair of new brown Leeds with a rubber sole. However, as you can see the upper was not stitched into the sole in one spot. Would a cobbler be able to fix this? If so, anyone know a reputable cobbler in Chicago by any chance?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suit of Nettles View Post
 

Yeah, that's reparable.  That said, the time and cost involved vary enormously: sometimes, if the leather is intact and there's enough there to work with, it can be done really quickly; if the leather tore out of the seam, or if there wasn't quite enough to begin with, it'll take a little more doing, up to the point of completely resoling the shoes, which is what had to happen after I blew out my Filsons in exactly the same spot.

 

Still, given that you got them for free (lucky sod!) it'll be a worthwhile investment.  Not knowing Chicago beyond The Blues Brothers and the inside of its hockey arenas, I can't be of help beyond that.

 

The only way to properly repair that is to remove the sole, remove the welt, put the shoe back on it's original last (which only AE can do), re-last the upper, staple the leather to the canvas gemming, and then sew on a new welt and sole.  If a cobbler implies otherwise, he's not trustworthy.  While an extremely skilled cobbler may be able to get them "wearable" by doing this type of major surgery either by hand or with whatever equipment he has on hand, they won't ever quite be their original intended shape without the original last.  As Suit of Nettles said, however, this is all assuming that there is enough leather to re-last the shoe.  It's not possible to tell until the shoe is opened up to see if the inseam tore or if it just wasn't stitched properly to begin with.  It's more likely that the inseam tore, which doesn't bode well for a repair. 

post #45807 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I just want a bigger brush. My AE ones are good, but I would love to polish with a bit larger brush surface...

My AE brushes seem to only serve the purpose of scratching my shoes.
post #45808 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post


My AE brushes seem to only serve the purpose of scratching my shoes.

 

I use them for calf and cordovan alike, they seem to do a solid job. 

post #45809 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

The only way to properly repair that is to remove the sole, remove the welt, put the shoe back on it's original last (which only AE can do), re-last the upper, staple the leather to the canvas gemming, and then sew on a new welt and sole.  If a cobbler implies otherwise, he's not trustworthy.  While an extremely skilled cobbler may be able to get them "wearable" by doing this type of major surgery either by hand or with whatever equipment he has on hand, they won't ever quite be their original intended shape without the original last.  As Suit of Nettles said, however, this is all assuming that there is enough leather to re-last the shoe.  It's not possible to tell until the shoe is opened up to see if the inseam tore or if it just wasn't stitched properly to begin with.  It's more likely that the inseam tore, which doesn't bode well for a repair. 

 

Fair and comprehensive, and I may well have been misinformed about the possibility of a smaller, less involved repair; that said, the explanation I got did seem fairly reasonable, at least in terms of being able to more or less invisibly secure a small breach, provided that the structural integrity of the upper wasn't compromised in some way.  I was kind of amazed when Filson sent mine back repaired/relasted in lieu of a new pair, but they've held up OK as beaterboots.

post #45810 of 70737
I'm thinking of ordering a pair of AE Sheltons in burgundy / black, but the photos on the AE website suck.
Has anyone some photos of these Sheltons out in the real world?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...