Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 8:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3021post #45301 of 707376/12/14 at 7:02ampost #45302 of 707376/12/14 at 7:06ampost #45303 of 707376/12/14 at 7:09am
That's like when I get the Alden irregulars list from TSM......
Its the middle of the work day and when that email comes through I drop everything I am doing and dial the # before even looking at the list.....I will shop it while the phone rings......post #45304 of 707376/12/14 at 7:24am
No not serious I was just messing with Tif. I am convinced that AE is not walnut shell bankrupt just yet. This is based solely on my own illogical conspiracy theory. I have 0 facts to substantiate any of this.post #45305 of 707376/12/14 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by peppercorn78
Quote:Originally Posted by CrimmyS
So when you guys says that the Leeds is a shit kicker, does that mean they wouldn't pair with a suit at all?
It seems like most people here like the look of AE's 65 last the most. It's their sleekest right? Just not as good for wide feet like mine.
What exactly is a shit kicker? If you were describing a pair of knock off converse I think I'd understand but any shoe over 200 or 300 in my mind is something I'd care about. Maybe I'm just poor, heh.
Sorry, im originally from San Antonio, so that's a little local vernacular.
Personally, I mean a shoe with some heft. Clunky, robust, and solid. In the best way. Not about quality.
If I were to pair Leeds of MacNeil with a suit, it would probably be with a more casual chunky fall/winter fabric like a heavy tweed or even flannel. Definitely not with anything conservative or formal(ish).
They're great shoes for casual sport coat/trouser pairings, though.
More and more, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the welt and edges that determine how dressy a shoe is. As in:
split-reverse aka storm welt = not dressy
flat welt with wheeled and fudged edges = dressypost #45306 of 707376/12/14 at 7:46amQuote:Originally Posted by Jackboot
I'd very much appreciate some opinions advice as I mull over my next shoe purchase. I'm trying to build a complete professional/formal wardrobe.
I currently own a pair of black Park Ave for my most formal wear and a pair of walnut Strands for less formal. I guess this means the major gap in my shoe collection is a pair of darker brown shoes.
I'm hoping to take advantage of the tent sale prices on seconds. Here are the seconds that are available in my size that I'm considering:
- bourbon Fifth Ave @ 199
- brown Fifth Street @ 199
- brown Harrison (Independence Collection) @ 277
The bourbon Fifth Aves may be my top choice. But is bourbon a suitable choice for a more formal brown shoe to wear with suits, or is it too light (i.e., similar to walnut and less formal)? Unfortunately Fifth Aves in brown are not available in my size.
I also really like the Fifth Streets and the brown color is perfect to fill the gap in my dress shoe collection. But I wonder if I I should be considering a pair of brown boots before I have a pair of brown shoes. Opinions?
The brown Harrison is almost identical to the Park Ave which I already own, making me think that may not be the best choice if I want some variety in my small shoe collection. I've also considered buying a pair of black Harrisons and selling my black Park Aves (currently new/unworn). But that would definitely mean that I wouldn't want a second pair of Harrisons in brown.
Any other styles that I should be considering to fill the brown gap in my collection?
Any help is appreciated!
As CrimmyS said, it depends on whether you wear mostly suits or sportcoats and tie.
Having said that, I'm a rule breaker regarding the oxford c. Blucher debate. The latter in brown, like the RL Sanderson, is a versitile shoe for me (but in in coat and tie everyday). Ditto for burgundy shell.
Another option might be a brown McAlister/Jefferson wingtip.
You likely know this but AE bourbon, while great looking, is actually walnot with a lot of burnishing and other post tanning treatment. I wouldn't know how to maintain that color.post #45307 of 707376/12/14 at 8:07ampost #45308 of 707376/12/14 at 8:15am
I'm a size 7D on the MacNeils (7 last), which is the same as my Brannock size, and I was wondering if I would take the same size on the Dundees, which are on the 1 last - can anybody offer up some advice?
Also, I've seen how people have been lightening their burgundy Leeds to get a more reddish color and I was wondering if the same thing could be done with the dark brown shell in order to get a more bourbon color?post #45309 of 707376/12/14 at 8:18ampost #45310 of 707376/12/14 at 8:29ampost #45311 of 707376/12/14 at 8:44amQuote:
Agree, there is a time and place for everything. Some occasions/fits call for clunkier shoes, but when I'm in a suit I'm always reaching for my Carminas.post #45312 of 707376/12/14 at 8:48am
How often do these tent sales come around? I'm in need of replacing my black Rockports with something more elegant (5th ave or park ave probably?) but considering I just purchased a pair of Bourbon Lexingtons a couple weeks ago, I want to save up a bit.
That is, of course, unless the tent sale is a once a year thing?post #45313 of 707376/12/14 at 8:52amQuote:
I feel the same way, except I have a brown cordovan Strand that I wear with suits, even worsted's. Also, the Alden 9015....one of my dressiest. But, Rain last Carmina's trump them for sleekness.
Left to Right:
Brown Cordovan Strand 5 Last-Carmina Short Wing Rain Last-Alden 9015 Hampton Lastpost #45314 of 707376/12/14 at 8:54ampost #45315 of 707376/12/14 at 9:19am
Was wondering if anyone could help me identify an old pair I found on the bay.
It's a 5 eyelet cap toe blucher with no medallion. It appears to be in brown or burgundy shell.
Numbers inside read
10D 94065 12
Any help is appreciated.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II just now
- › Zam Barrett Dialogue/ Zfactorie - Official Affiliate Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 15 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 16 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 19 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 20 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 29 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 37 minutes ago
- › Frank Clegg Briefcases 38 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...