or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3020  

post #45286 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobol323 View Post

Hey fellas - I recently picked up a pair of shell leeds. Can I use AE cleaner/conditioner on them, or would something else be better? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm not sure I would use the regular conditioner/cleaner for calf on shell shoes. I would stick to something like Saphir Rennovateur, Saphir Cordovan Creme, Venetian Shoe Cream or Lexol(haven't used, but I've read other forum members use it with good results)

Congrats on the Leeds.
post #45287 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Considering how incredibly short supplied Horween cordovan is now a days, i might pick up the cordovan Patriot from the ShoeBank instead of the calf, and call it a day.

Any one have cordovan Patriots, and can share an inspiring pic (or experience)? lurker[1].gif

You know what is crazy???

No matter how hard the cordovan game becomes for all the other manufacturers, AE ALWAYS HAS IT......

Last month I went for a tour of their factory and they had shell just laying around collecting dust.

And then they had big industrial size boxes marked "Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan" that had not even been opened yet.....

AE is an amazing company really. I wonder how much of the shell shortage is contrived to drive up the price?

Carmina and Alden might not have any shell.....call AE and they will make you anything you want in 3 shell shades and not even bat an eye....
post #45288 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

You know what is crazy???

No matter how hard the cordovan game becomes for all the other manufacturers, AE ALWAYS HAS IT......

Last month I went for a tour of their factory and they had shell just laying around collecting dust.

And then they had big industrial size boxes marked "Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan" that had not even been opened yet.....

AE is an amazing company really. I wonder how much of the shell shortage is contrived to drive up the price?

Carmina and Alden might not have any shell.....call AE and they will make you anything you want in 3 shell shades and not even bat an eye....

It's not just them, also the likes of Vass, GG, EG, etc. are experiencing extended lead-times (in some instances unspecified lead-times) for cordovan make-ups.

I am glad that AE still has shell hidden in the back, but it would seem their current shell policy (on a MTO basis) would support that they also understand (and are planning for) the current Horween cordovan drought. Either way, enjoy your cordovan gents, it's a rare delight in may places...
post #45289 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

You know what is crazy???

No matter how hard the cordovan game becomes for all the other manufacturers, AE ALWAYS HAS IT......

Last month I went for a tour of their factory and they had shell just laying around collecting dust.

And then they had big industrial size boxes marked "Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan" that had not even been opened yet.....

AE is an amazing company really. I wonder how much of the shell shortage is contrived to drive up the price?

Carmina and Alden might not have any shell.....call AE and they will make you anything you want in 3 shell shades and not even bat an eye....

I would add they (AE) are running out or have run out of walnut and cappuccino. I also AE is no longer producing stock shell offering, everything is mto at this point. Alden Carmina etc produce runs of shell which seems to be more plentiful as of late. None of this takes away from AE which I agree is a good company
post #45290 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I would add they (AE) are running out or have run out of walnut and cappuccino. I also AE is no longer producing stock shell offering, everything is mto at this point. Alden Carmina etc produce runs of shell which seems to be more plentiful as of late. None of this takes away from AE which I agree is a good company

True Dat,

But, they do "run" some of their shoes, albeit small runs, but nonetheless.

The "Rare" shell colors are a different story and I understand that.

But the 3 shades AE offers, it seems like they ALWAYS have it, that was my only point.
post #45291 of 70737
^^ They done run out of Capp and Walnut many moons ago, Be.
post #45292 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

You know what is crazy???

No matter how hard the cordovan game becomes for all the other manufacturers, AE ALWAYS HAS IT......

Last month I went for a tour of their factory and they had shell just laying around collecting dust.

And then they had big industrial size boxes marked "Horween Genuine Shell Cordovan" that had not even been opened yet.....

AE is an amazing company really. I wonder how much of the shell shortage is contrived to drive up the price?

Carmina and Alden might not have any shell.....call AE and they will make you anything you want in 3 shell shades and not even bat an eye....

When you can leverage sheer numbers of orders, you can buy supplier loyalty. smile.gif

I read an article recently in the WSJ about the big easing of the supply chains that's happening for cordovan later this year. I wonder if that will bring down prices any (not bloody likely)
post #45293 of 70737
When I was there last month, they showed me this special machine that custom cut all the patterns for the shell MTO's

It was like a huge CNC machine that used high pressure air I believe to cut the shells. It appeared to be laser guided.

Which, was all very intriguing I might say.
post #45294 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

I think they look nice FreeBird. I would keep them if I were you.

Thanks! I think they are beautiful shoes as well, it is more just a matter of if they fit in well with my wardrobe at this point. They are a bit formal considering I am in a business casual environment.
post #45295 of 70737

^

Here's an old picture of my brown shell Patriots. They're a wonderful shoe and they've patina'd very little during my use with them. It's been one year of ownership so far.

 

<a href="http://www.styleforum.net/g/i/848783/2013-05-20-11-06-18-jpg/sort/display_order/"><img src="http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/4625329/width/400/flags/LL"></a>

post #45296 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Considering how incredibly short supplied Horween cordovan is now a days, i might pick up the cordovan Patriot from the ShoeBank instead of the calf, and call it a day.

Any one have cordovan Patriots, and can share an inspiring pic (or experience)? lurker[1].gif

Well, here are a couple of pictures I've posted before of my brown shell Patriots. It is a little tight around the instep for me, but fits very well everywhere else.



Here it is next to the Brooks Brothers unlined LHS(left), which is a better fit for me since it has more room around the instep:


Next to a cigar shell LWB. My Patriots look pretty close to cigar in color:
post #45297 of 70737
Did anyone else just get the email for the tent sale? Let the chaos ensue!!! As a heads up, and in the spirit of the tent sale, if anyone in this thread is interested in any of my AEs up on eBay I will do $179 + Paypal fees shipped domestically.
post #45298 of 70737
Thank you for the Patriot pics gents, i'm liking the cordovan option more an more each day.

Fit wise, i enjoyed the half sock liner as an added comfort feature. I did notice the instep bit a little, but everything else was spot on in fit.
post #45299 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post


I would add they (AE) are running out or have run out of walnut and cappuccino. I also AE is no longer producing stock shell offering, everything is mto at this point. Alden Carmina etc produce runs of shell which seems to be more plentiful as of late. None of this takes away from AE which I agree is a good company

Fixed that for you.

post #45300 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

^^ They done run out of Capp and Walnut many moons ago, Be.

Not that long ago smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...