or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2908  

post #43606 of 70737

(cross-posted from MTO thread)

 

MacNeil 5!

 

 

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

 

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

 

post #43607 of 70737
I see a difference between those two colors, yes.
post #43608 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

(cross-posted from MTO thread)

 

MacNeil 5!

 

 

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

 

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The Cognac seems a real small shade darker...the thing that jumps out to me on the Macneil is that the toe seems to have a lot less depth or height not sure how to phrase it. That is very similar to an old pair of Cordovan MacNeils I picked up while my newer MacNeils have a much fuller toe height width wise(of course just going off the picture. Very glad I went down a 1/2 size when I ordered mine. Can not wait to get them now after seeing yours. Do you notice any visual difference in the 5 MacNeil from your others?

post #43609 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


Here are some of my thoughts - some will match what others have posted and some are new ideas.

The oxford cloth slacks are great for summer. Linen is good, but will wrinkle quickly.

I am also going to suggest pincord slacks. They are usually available in a pale light blue that would show off your Boca Ratons and Strawfuts nicely. Here is are some corded cotton slacks as a suggestion
http://www.southerntide.com/products/Corded-Cotton-Pants.html

And if you are a fan, seersucker is always great for summer. Walnut Boca Ratons and Strawfuts look great with seersucker.

Chris

 

Thanks those look great too...will order a pair for sure

post #43610 of 70737

Here are a few pictures of my Eagle County MTO. Please forgive the poor photography. My iPhone 4s is pretty much petered out.

 

Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
 

 

 

 

 

I tried to take a picture in sunlight, but the clouds came over just as I was snapping the pic. So, here's how they look on an overcast day...

 

 

At $200, this feels like the steal of the century. These boots are so beautiful that I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. If only I could order a pair in bourbon, chili and black. Damn shame they are discontinued.

post #43611 of 70737
@OptoDoc those are so awesome. I definitely have non buyers remorse.

Btw, where are you? Looks kinda like Flushing, Queens.
post #43612 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Btw, where are you? Looks kinda like Flushing, Queens.

 

I have a loft apartment above a bar on the main thoroughfare of downtown Baton Rouge. This was taken on the bar's 2nd floor balcony (which I have access to whenever they are not open for business).

post #43613 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

(cross-posted from MTO thread)

 

MacNeil 5!

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last.  However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals.  A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

 

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The Cognac seems a real small shade darker...the thing that jumps out to me on the Macneil is that the toe seems to have a lot less depth or height not sure how to phrase it. That is very similar to an old pair of Cordovan MacNeils I picked up while my newer MacNeils have a much fuller toe height width wise(of course just going off the picture. Very glad I went down a 1/2 size when I ordered mine. Can not wait to get them now after seeing yours. Do you notice any visual difference in the 5 MacNeil from your others?

 

There's definitely a visual difference.  I take a 9 E on the 7 last and a 9.5 E on the 5.  The 5 last is also sleeker - there's a generous inch of toe room in these as compared to my standard MacNeils which have virtually no toe room at all (but are still very comfortable).  I should also say that my chili grain MacNeils (my others are all shell) are 9.5 E due to the BB poron insole.  As perhaps could be expected, their fit is closer to these MacNeil 5s than to my other MacNeils.

 

Having walked around the house in these some, I'm now inclined to think the bowing is not a deal-breaker.  Even my best-fitting shoes bow a little and since these are bluchers as opposed to bals I can lace them a little tighter which makes a difference.  If I decide not to keep them, instead I would do either this natural CXL Alden or an MTO AE that would be inspired by this Alden:

 

post #43614 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

There's definitely a visual difference.  I take a 9 E on the 7 last and a 9.5 E on the 5.  The 5 last is also sleeker - there's a generous inch of toe room in these as compared to my standard MacNeils which have virtually no toe room at all (but are still very comfortable).  I should also say that my chili grain MacNeils (my others are all shell) are 9.5 E due to the BB poron insole.  As perhaps could be expected, their fit is closer to these MacNeil 5s than to my other MacNeils.

 

Having walked around the house in these some, I'm now inclined to think the bowing is not a deal-breaker.  Even my best-fitting shoes bow a little and since these are bluchers as opposed to bals I can lace them a little tighter which makes a difference.  If I decide not to keep them, instead I would do either this natural CXL Alden or an MTO AE that would be inspired by this Alden:

 

 

That Alden is a nice shoe for sure....Curious between the Rush St and the MacNeil you pictured which do you like better? I was going to order a different size Rush St with the sale going on and sell my pair just to get a better fitting one. Now I am thinking if they are that close in color do I really need both?

post #43615 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

There's definitely a visual difference.  I take a 9 E on the 7 last and a 9.5 E on the 5.  The 5 last is also sleeker - there's a generous inch of toe room in these as compared to my standard MacNeils which have virtually no toe room at all (but are still very comfortable).  I should also say that my chili grain MacNeils (my others are all shell) are 9.5 E due to the BB poron insole.  As perhaps could be expected, their fit is closer to these MacNeil 5s than to my other MacNeils.

 

Having walked around the house in these some, I'm now inclined to think the bowing is not a deal-breaker.  Even my best-fitting shoes bow a little and since these are bluchers as opposed to bals I can lace them a little tighter which makes a difference.  If I decide not to keep them, instead I would do either this natural CXL Alden or an MTO AE that would be inspired by this Alden:

 

The Natty CXL Alden is miles apart from the MacNeil 5 in Cognac CXL, IMO. While the MacNeil is easily my favorite AE's model, I have two major issues with this Webgem. First, I don't think I like the idea of the LWB on the 5 last. I think that for this shoe the 7 last works a lot better aesthetically. Second, a single sole eliminates the chunkiness, weight and substantial feel that I come to expect from the LWB.     

post #43616 of 70737

^^^Coincidentally, I'm wearing the RL Sanderson today, which is on the 222 last.  It is way sleeker than my Macneils and doesn't have the issues that have been highlighted with the 5 last. According to the AE website, the Williams LWB is currently available on the 222 last. I don't own the Williams.

post #43617 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

^^^Coincidentally, I'm wearing the RL Sanderson today, which is on the 222 last.  It is way sleeker than my Macneils and doesn't have the issues that have been highlighted with the 5 last. According to the AE website, the Williams LWB is currently available on the 222 last. I don't own the Williams.

My AE Aberdeens are on the 222 last as well, and while being very comfortable, they look a bit more sleek than, in my opinion, the LWBs should. 

post #43618 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

That Alden is a nice shoe for sure....Curious between the Rush St and the MacNeil you pictured which do you like better? I was going to order a different size Rush St with the sale going on and sell my pair just to get a better fitting one. Now I am thinking if they are that close in color do I really need both?

 

It's really a matter of bal vs. blucher.  The latter fits me considerably better than the former.  Unless you're a completist, I don't think you should get both.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

The Natty CXL Alden is miles apart from the MacNeil 5 in Cognac CXL, IMO. While the MacNeil is easily my favorite AE's model, I have two major issues with this Webgem. First, I don't think I like the idea of the LWB on the 5 last. I think that for this shoe the 7 last works a lot better aesthetically. Second, a single sole eliminates the chunkiness, weight and substantial feel that I come to expect from the LWB.     

 

 

(l to r:  brown shell MacNeil in 9 E, chili grain BB MacNeil in 9.5 E, cognac CXL MacNeil 5 in 9.5 E)

 

I've held both the natural and navy CXL Alden LWBs in my hands and can confirm they have serious heft and solidity as compared to even the MacNeil in shell.  However, in terms of sleekness, I think the BB MacNeil and the MacNeil 5 are actually fairly close to each other.  While I wouldn't choose the MacNeil 5 over the regular MacNeil, at least for the time being I'm happy to have both.

post #43619 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbrah View Post

My merlot McAllisters are not breaking in. I think I'm maybe a size 9E instead of a size 9D, though my Strands fit fine in 9D.

Is this too much lace gap? Should I take them to a cobbler to be stretched? If I tie them tighter than the picture, the toe box is tight as well as the top of my foot (instep?). After loosening the lacing they felt better. Should I just not tie them tight or should I have a cobbler adjust the width?

Just to update on this:
I took them to a cobbler, and he said he would definitely be able to stretch the instep for me (as well as the width a little bit for my pinky toe). I am out of town, so I can't pick them up for another 1.5 weeks. I'll provide another update when I get them back.

I will try the E width next time (or just settle for only bluchers as sad as that may be).
Edited by tradbrah - 4/28/14 at 12:24pm
post #43620 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbrah View Post


I will try the E width next time (or just settle for only bluchers as said as that may be).
Welcome to my world.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...