or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2900  

post #43486 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post
 

Every collection, in my opinion and others, needs a dress pair in black.  The Allen Edmonds Web Site has many black shoes and boots with an option to see what dress pants, casual pants, and jeans looks like.

 

All my best,


David


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

I always thought black Leed style shoe and jeans were a classic combo and being that denim is so popular again figure all different styles of shoes in black would be more popular not less.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post


Black is generally formal. So it generally works best with formal stylings. This is why the black PA is such a common recommendation. Ofc, formal styling and formal color requires a formal outfit, ie a suit. Black is very useful in a suit and tie universe, the most in fact. Many people would hold the position that if you're going to wear a suit your shoes should be black, period.

Suits are on the decline nowadays, so it shouldn't be any wonder black shoes follow that a bit. As for the casual black shoe, it is kind of an anomaly. Just ask yourself what outfit does black shoes go well with that another color wouldn't be better?

To me the only answer is monochrome, a la mid to dark gray trousers, light gray jacket, white shirt, and black tie. Lose the tie if everything else is very casual.

Imagine with khaki pants. What else are you wearing? Light blue shirt and navy jacket? Whatever your choices, brown or bourbon shoes would look way better.

Black pants require black shoes, but again then I would just be doing a monochrome look which isn't very versatile.

I would like the following in navy suede:

Grayson
Mora 2.0
Player's shoe

 

I always just assumed that black shoes went well with all sorts of khaki style pants regardless of top..wouldn't the style of shoe dictate it? In my brain I would think nearly every color shirt would go with black pants and black shoes.. Will look at the Players for also for the suede, the Mora 2 is just enough of a pain in the ass for me to get on that I think I am good with one pair of them

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

Coincidentally, I got a pair of Aldens for JCrew in black pebble leather just this morning. I agree with you that black shoes do limit your choice of pants and jackets, but then again, I tend to wear darker pants in the winter (gray flannel to work and dark denim casually) so I envision wearing them at least once a week or so. 

 

post #43487 of 70737

What do you think this Baton Rouge would look like replacing the linen for Navy Suede and changing the sole to black Dainite or a natural leather with vtread? I am thinking the red Dainite would clash with the piping

post #43488 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

I always thought black Leed style shoe and jeans were a classic combo and being that denim is so popular again figure all different styles of shoes in black would be more popular not less.

 

 

I always just assumed that black shoes went well with all sorts of khaki style pants regardless of top..wouldn't the style of shoe dictate it? In my brain I would think nearly every color shirt would go with black pants and black shoes.. Will look at the Players for also for the suede, the Mora 2 is just enough of a pain in the ass for me to get on that I think I am good with one pair of them

 

I only wear black shoes with darker flannels, mostly gray or brown. I think they might also pair well with dark green khakis but I haven't ventured this far just yet. I do agree that black shoes and jeans pair well together, but I'd rather wear a longwing than a PTB. This said though, I must admit I actually happen to wear my black Leeds CXL MTO with the jeans today. 

 

post #43489 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

Halfnhalfnhalf recently posted pictures of his Rancourts in navy cordovan in the Rancourt thread. They are possibly the best looking boots I've ever seen. 

 

He friggin kills me....thanks for the link and they are awesome....I must have 4 or 5 pairs due to halfnhalf...ugh do not think I can pull the triggers on those boots at the moment. Rancourts shoe style tool is addictive..I must have spent 3 or 4 hours on it a few months back

post #43490 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post


Black is generally formal. So it generally works best with formal stylings. This is why the black PA is such a common recommendation. Ofc, formal styling and formal color requires a formal outfit, ie a suit. Black is very useful in a suit and tie universe, the most in fact. Many people would hold the position that if you're going to wear a suit your shoes should be black, period.

Suits are on the decline nowadays, so it shouldn't be any wonder black shoes follow that a bit. As for the casual black shoe, it is kind of an anomaly. Just ask yourself what outfit does black shoes go well with that another color wouldn't be better?

To me the only answer is monochrome, a la mid to dark gray trousers, light gray jacket, white shirt, and black tie. Lose the tie if everything else is very casual.

Imagine with khaki pants. What else are you wearing? Light blue shirt and navy jacket? Whatever your choices, brown or bourbon shoes would look way better.

Black pants require black shoes, but again then I would just be doing a monochrome look which isn't very versatile.

I would like the following in navy suede:

Grayson
Mora 2.0
Player's shoe

What is your take on the black McTavish?

How about a black blucher like Leeds or Macneil?

 

How does a navy shoe fit into this thought process of colors? You have not mentioned it in relationship to any of the versatile or non versatile colors. I am curious to the opinion?

I have had trouble with the Navy shoe.

I sold my first pair of navy chukkas due to them feeling less than versatile.

I have a navy shell boot again that I like much more, as it is more casual.

post #43491 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

I like the Stewart a whole lot...even more than the Macneil in suede....I am a Sebago Handsewn fan also ... have considered a Navy boot from Rancourt in CXL or Cordovan

 

 

I'll hide these, sonce they aren't AE.. (Click to show)

 

post #43492 of 70737

These a gorgeous. Are they Vibergs?

post #43493 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

 

I'll hide these, sonce they aren't AE.. (Click to show)

 

Very nice! 

post #43494 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

These a gorgeous. Are they Vibergs?

Yep.

Most recent run of navy shell.

post #43495 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

These a gorgeous. Are they Vibergs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post

Very nice! 
I like to refer to them as bonkers! They are just insanely good looking boots.
post #43496 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

Yep.

Most recent run of navy shell.

BK, do you happen to know the source of the shell? Does Viberg like Rancourt dye Horween's natural shell?

post #43497 of 70737

@Spiker and @7_rocket 


Just received my 2nds belts and I'm very pleased.  Brown Madison seems to have a few stretch marks but not very visible.  For the price, I'm extremely happy.  2nds belts do have a FD stamp near the buckle (inside)

post #43498 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

@Spiker
 and @7_rocket
 


Just received my 2nds belts and I'm very pleased.  Brown Madison seems to have a few stretch marks but not very visible.  For the price, I'm extremely happy.  2nds belts do have a FD stamp near the buckle (inside)

Nice. I haven't picked it up yet frown.gif
post #43499 of 70737

On the subject of black footwear generally . . . if you want these you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands:

 

non-AE, and also Not Safe For the Universe (Click to show)

 

Not to mention my AE black shell Dundee, Leeds, and MacNeil.  All worn with denim almost exclusively.

post #43500 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post
 

BK, do you happen to know the source of the shell? Does Viberg like Rancourt dye Horween's natural shell?

Sorry, I do not.

They posted something showing a test dye of a pair of shoes at one point on their Tumblr, but I don't know other than that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...