or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2890  

post #43336 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

I never realized how deep red "chili" was in the color lineup. I was tempted to try something different since I have so much brown in my closet. What does chili pair well with? Where does it not work at all? Can they look clownish?

Thoughts from fans & detractors alike?
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


 

Mine's just a little less redder than yours (at least based on your photo), which is still redder than most photos of AE chili shoes in this thread. Below is a photo with pretty accurate color rendering of my BB chili MacNeils.

post #43337 of 70737
My merlot McAllisters are not breaking in. I think I'm maybe a size 9E instead of a size 9D, though my Strands fit fine in 9D.

Is this too much lace gap? Should I take them to a cobbler to be stretched? If I tie them tighter than the picture, the toe box is tight as well as the top of my foot (instep?). After loosening the lacing they felt better. Should I just not tie them tight or should I have a cobbler adjust the width?
post #43338 of 70737
Here are all my Chili AE's - for color comparison

benton.jpg
bradley3.jpg
maxfield.jpg
winhall.jpg

I wear my Chili AE's with just about anything but black. I feel it is a very versatile color.

Chris
post #43339 of 70737
Seems like the wrong size. I would try size up first before width up. Even when people get measured by AE salesman the size can still be wrong. I had to order 3 pairs of the same shoe on 9. 5D E and 10D. I tried them at home no pressure and comment from salesman and immediately know that 10d was perfect size (even though the AE salesman told me 9.5e. The shoe should hug your foot with no hard pressure anywhere. You shouldn't have to loose the lace or tighten lace all the way for the shoe to fix. Some gap is normal but the v in your pic is way way too wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbrah View Post

My merlot McAllisters are not breaking in. I think I'm maybe a size 9E instead of a size 9D, though my Strands fit fine in 9D.

Is this too much lace gap? Should I take them to a cobbler to be stretched? If I tie them tighter than the picture, the toe box is tight as well as the top of my foot (instep?). After loosening the lacing they felt better. Should I just not tie them tight or should I have a cobbler adjust the width?
post #43340 of 70737
Just got a huge haul from the UPS guy today.

Left to right: MTO Shelton, Walnut Grain Park Ave, Chili Lexington, Chili McCallister, Brooks Bros Gatsby, My cat Pogo



Here's a closeup of those MTO Sheltons:



More pics and info on those here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/765#post_7089646
post #43341 of 70737
Buddy0329 asked me to post some close-ups from today's AE haul. I'm happy to oblige:

Chili Lexington


Chili McCallister

Walnut Grain Park Ave (2nds)

Brooks Bros Gatsby (2nds)


Edited by bl@ster - 4/24/14 at 1:13am
post #43342 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbrah View Post

My merlot McAllisters are not breaking in. I think I'm maybe a size 9E instead of a size 9D, though my Strands fit fine in 9D.

Is this too much lace gap? Should I take them to a cobbler to be stretched? If I tie them tighter than the picture, the toe box is tight as well as the top of my foot (instep?). After loosening the lacing they felt better. Should I just not tie them tight or should I have a cobbler adjust the width?

I believe the length increases by only 1/6 inch and width by 1/4 inch each size up. So, I would try a 9.5 D or E if I were you.
post #43343 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

I believe the length increases by only 1/6 inch and width by 1/4 inch each size up. So, I would try a 9.5 D or E if I were you.
I think it is more like 1/8" in length for each 1/2 size.
post #43344 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

Buddy0329 asked me to post some close-ups from today's AE haul. I'm happy to oblige:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Chili Lexington


Chili McCallister

Walnut Grain Park Ave (2nds)

Brooks Bros Gatsby (2nds)

 

Wow. Nice haul indeed. Those Gatsbys are 2nds?! Never would have guessed that. They look perfect. A very dandy choice, Sir.

post #43345 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbrah View Post

My merlot McAllisters are not breaking in. I think I'm maybe a size 9E instead of a size 9D, though my Strands fit fine in 9D.

Is this too much lace gap? Should I take them to a cobbler to be stretched? If I tie them tighter than the picture, the toe box is tight as well as the top of my foot (instep?). After loosening the lacing they felt better. Should I just not tie them tight or should I have a cobbler adjust the width?

 

Even if a cobbler stretches them for you, I don't think it'll do much to close that big of a gap. You could try a wider size, but pay attention to your heel. You might close the space of the laces but create another gap in the heel. 

 

Do you have a high instep? If so, AE's bals may not be a great fit for you. I have a high instep and have a very hard time with their bals. Their shoes are cut lower than other makers that I've tried. Their derbies fit great though. 

post #43346 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof6 View Post
 

 

Even if a cobbler stretches them for you, I don't think it'll do much to close that big of a gap. You could try a wider size, but pay attention to your heel. You might close the space of the laces but create another gap in the heel. 

 

Do you have a high instep? If so, AE's bals may not be a great fit for you. I have a high instep and have a very hard time with their bals. Their shoes are cut lower than other makers that I've tried. Their derbies fit great though. 

 

I am with you my Bals unless unlined, unstructured or distressed leather have a major issue with the gap and so far I have had limited success in going up or down and expanding widths...Sucks that in the 13 size you get limited to go down to 12.5 which is an uncommon size nor is there a 13.5 to go up...Most shoes for me to go up in size even if I could would probably result is some weird creasing.

 

Right now for a regular AE lined shoe 13E in the Jefferson has been the best fit and closest lace gap do to the insole being more cushioned I do not get heel slip.

 

The Brooks Strand in E with the full poron insole is very tight on me and a huge gap on the laces, If I get the chance to grab a 13eee to try I will

post #43347 of 70737

Strippers and Ron Burgundy references...this place is great!

post #43348 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

Buddy0329 asked me to post some close-ups from today's AE haul. I'm happy to oblige:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Chili Lexington


Chili McCallister

Walnut Grain Park Ave (2nds)

Brooks Bros Gatsby (2nds)

 

I think you miss a close-ups picture for Pogo :happy:

 

Great looking shoes. I especially like the look of the PA Walnut Grain, may have to get me some
 

post #43349 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

Great looking shoes. I especially like the look of the PA Walnut Grain, may have to get me some

I wouldn't get too excited. AE does not have walnut grain at the moment. Nor do they have plans of re-stocking.
post #43350 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I wouldn't get too excited. AE does not have walnut grain at the moment. Nor do they have plans of re-stocking.

Thanks Tif.  Looks like they only have them in 2nds. There is a pair in my size and the price is right .... now it's decision time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...