or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2865  

post #42961 of 70737

Is it normal for a new pair of balmoral shoes to squeak when you first try them on? I went to an AE retail store to be sized and the SA put me in a pair of Strands that were 11E and they felt like a glove on my foot, no squeaking at all. I subsequently ordered a pair of Park Ave seconds from the SB (same size) and they squeak audibly when I walk (like leather rubbing on foot). They also bow out slightly when I stand up, which the other ones did not do.

 

My question is, did the shoes that they used to size me at the store feel perfect because they had been tried on multiple times before and were well broken in? Should I send them back because of the squeaking? The shoes are perfectly comfortable other than that. I need these shoes for a job interview and the last thing I want is to walk in with my shoes squeaking. :cry: 


Edited by walkthewalk - 4/17/14 at 1:48pm
post #42962 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

I am more surprised that someone wears the same pair of shoes 4 times in one week than that a heel feel off :bounce2:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 

Most men I know wear the same pair of shoes every day.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 

you spend WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time on this forum my friend... Most guys own one pair of dress shoes... usually of the 40-80$ variety.

HAHAHAHA

I know I spend WAY too much time... and $$$

Its not only shoes for me though. It is watches too... :brick:

post #42963 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

 

Must resist.

When you average out the cost of the shoe over the number of years you'll have it, it really isn't that bad... YOU NEED THOSE DALTONS!

 

WALNUT SHELL! THIS IS LIKELY YOUR LAST CHANCE TO HAVE THIS SHOE!

 

:stirpot:

post #42964 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthewalk View Post
 

Is it normal for a new pair of balmoral shoes to squeak when you first try them on? I went to an AE retail store to be sized and the SA put me in a pair of Strands that were 11E and they felt like a glove on my foot, no squeaking at all. I subsequently ordered a pair of Park Ave seconds from the SB and they squeak audibly when I walk (like leather rubbing on foot). They also bow out slightly when I stand up, which the other ones did not do.

 

My question is, did the shoes that they used to size me at the store feel perfect because they had been tried on multiple times before and were well broken in? Should I send them back because of the squeaking? The shoes are perfectly comfortable other than that. I need these shoes for a job interview and the last thing I want is to walk in with my shoes squeaking. :cry: 

 

These shoes are not 100% machine made so there will be variations.  I've tried on 2 pairs s brand new out of the box Strands before and one fitted better than the other.  Sometimes things just happen and it's another aspect of buying seconds that you have to account for.  You can try to walk on carpet for a few hours to see if they get better, I think they most def will.  

post #42965 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

 

 

 

 

HAHAHAHA

I know I spend WAY too much time... and $$$

Its not only shoes for me though. It is watches too... :brick:

I'll pretend I didn't just read this post... otherwise I'd be tempted to check the watch forum

post #42966 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post
 

 

These shoes are not 100% machine made so there will be variations.  I've tried on 2 pairs s brand new out of the box Strands before and one fitted better than the other.  Sometimes things just happen and it's another aspect of buying seconds that you have to account for.  You can try to walk on carpet for a few hours to see if they get better, I think they most def will.  


Thanks for the reply. I always hear people say that shoes should fit perfect at the store when you try them on. It scares me a little bit to take such expensive shoes that have such an obvious problem right out of the box. Is this common? Will the slight bowing correct itself too or is that just normal?

post #42967 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Awesome. Are yours brown or burgundy? Here are mine:

 

 

Oh my, I NEED a pair of shell Strands. Hopefully I can snag something during the next shell seconds sale or on the used market to help reel me from blowing my shoe budget on a single pair.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

I am more surprised that someone wears the same pair of shoes 4 times in one week than that a heel feel off :bounce2:

 

Hahaha

post #42968 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthewalk View Post
 


Thanks for the reply. I always hear people say that shoes should fit perfect at the store when you try them on. It scares me a little bit to take such expensive shoes that have such an obvious problem right out of the box. Is this common? Will the slight bowing correct itself too or is that just normal?

everyone's feet are different.  Shoes fit my feet may not fit yours.  If you try something on in the store and they are perfect, the by all means take them home.  The issue is that most of us don't have the luxury to try on or pick and choose from many pairs of the same size.  We go by best guess and adjust accordingly, it's part of the game, especially with seconds.

 

You may want to post some pictures so we can see how much bowing it is.  It's hard to say without any visual

post #42969 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

Must resist.
When you average out the cost of the shoe over the number of years you'll have it, it really isn't that bad... YOU NEED THOSE DALTONS!

WALNUT SHELL! THIS IS LIKELY YOUR LAST CHANCE TO HAVE THIS SHOE!

stirpot.gif

Nudge Nudge






(only posting this here because I'd prefer to sell to a frequent visitor of this thread, since I only knew of their availability due to said thread)
post #42970 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinngiskhaan View Post
 

When you average out the cost of the shoe over the number of years you'll have it, it really isn't that bad... YOU NEED THOSE DALTONS!

 

WALNUT SHELL! THIS IS LIKELY YOUR LAST CHANCE TO HAVE THIS SHOE!

 

:stirpot:

 

HaHa, I have a pair of BNIB Wanut Shell Dalton's also... 10D... ;-) Not certain if I am going to keep or sell...

post #42971 of 70737

Any of you guys have an AE independence line shoe that can give me some comparison to Carmina and/or Meermin LM line?

 

I'm specifically looking at the feel of the inner lining and leather of the upper. I love how soft the AE indy line is and I'm wondering if shoes in a similar price range (Carmina) feel the same or use calfskin more similar to AE's regular line. 

 

I understand Meermin LM is priced closer to AE's regular line, but from what I've read they are supposed to be a better value. 

 

Thanks guys. 

post #42972 of 70737
So I returned to an office after working from home for seven years and had to completely redo my business attire. Thanks to these forums (and more specifically this thread) I have purchased three pairs of AE shoes in the last month. Two of them actually from sellers here.

Black 5th Avenue
Merlot McAllister
BB Light Brown Elgin

Oddly enough the only shoes I had my eyes on when I started this process were the Walnut Strands.

I can see why members here sometimes get special treatment/deals from the Allen Edmonds contacts. I expect you bring them quite a lot of business they might not otherwise receive.

Unfortunately those Walnut Shell Daltons are out of my budget. We all have to start somewhere.

Edit: At least I think they are. 10D right? smile.gif
post #42973 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonessed View Post

So I returned to an office after working from home for seven years and had to completely redo my business attire. Thanks to these forums (and more specifically this thread) I have purchased three pairs of AE shoes in the last month. Two of them actually from sellers here.

Black 5th Avenue
Merlot McAllister
BB Light Brown Elgin

Oddly enough the only shoes I had my eyes on when I started this process were the Walnut Strands.

I can see why members here sometimes get special treatment/deals from the Allen Edmonds contacts. I expect you bring them quite a lot of business they might not otherwise receive.

Unfortunately those Walnut Shell Daltons are out of my budget. We all have to start somewhere.

Edit: At least I think they are. 10D right? smile.gif

 

I have a pair in 10D, someone else has a 12D pair. I am not really looking to sell mine per say though...

post #42974 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaplatypus View Post


Nudge Nudge
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



(only posting this here because I'd prefer to sell to a frequent visitor of this thread, since I only knew of their availability due to said thread)

 

I really like the color of yours! They look really light in that side shot... Almost like a natural shell cordovan. I think of Walnut Shell Cordovan being a mid-point between Whiskey Shell and Alden's exclusive Ravello Shell...

 

-M

post #42975 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

Put them on with whatever pants you expect to wear, sit in a chair, and then cross your legs.  If the blemish is on the upper side with crossed legs, then it may be more noticeable to others.

David

Yeah, it's definitely on the upper side if I were to cross my legs. Right now it's not just the blemish, it's also the smear from whatever polish they used to cover it up. I'm wondering if a layer of my own polish all over the shoe would do a little better job of covering it up. But I also don't know if I should hang on to them long enough to find out. I think I may call back and see if there's still anything in that size. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...