or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2852  

post #42766 of 70737

A question to the cordovan gurus (cross-posted from the Alden thread)--can the shell potentially crack due to the nick on the upper right at the flex point? One of the seconds that I got has a small dent that almost feels like something heavy (a box?) was dropped on the shoe. I can feel this depression in the leather from the inside as well. Since it is at the flex point, I am wondering if I am facing any risks down the road or is this purely cosmetic? 

 

post #42767 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Just dust the shoes off before and after each wearing and you won't have an issue. I have a polishing mitt that I keep handy and I just give my shoes a dry wipe before and after each wearing.

 

Thanks- I was concerned with all the brogue nature of my shoes that dust might build up a bit much...not that I am in the dust bowl. I think i will try a few racks for the shoes I wear most often and see how it goes.

post #42768 of 70737
The Brooks Brothers Strand in walnut is available for $199.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer View Post

Man am I tempted to buy these Strand golf shoes, remove the spikes, fill in the holes, and wear them as regular dress shoes. I own a pair of Strands and they are my favorite shoes. They have really gone up in price over the years, so $199 is quite appealing. I play a ton of golf and I don't feel like they would be comfortable enough for me to wear for 18 holes. Although I love my current Strands, I would not say they are as comfortable as my golf shoes.

[/quo
post #42769 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

:lurk:

 

Haha. Honestly, I don't care. I like the plain look of traditional chelsea boots. I think the other stuff has a place as well, but why branch out when you don't have the basics?

What are the other american made chelsea boots? Do people that like them just get them from european shoe makers no matter what?

Perhaps AE doesn't have a great last for them, which is a shame because they're a really utilitarian boot and one of the few pairs of shoes that look equally at home dressed up with a suit or down with jeans. They really traverse the spectrum.

post #42770 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Thanks- I was concerned with all the brogue nature of my shoes that dust might build up a bit much...not that I am in the dust bowl. I think i will try a few racks for the shoes I wear most often and see how it goes.
Most of my shoes are brogued, too. I wear most of my shoes twice a month and I really don't get any considerable buildup. I used to keep them in their bags, but I hated no being able to see what I had while getting dressed.
post #42771 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Most of my shoes are brogued, too. I wear most of my shoes twice a month and I really don't get any considerable buildup. I used to keep them in their bags, but I hated no being able to see what I had while getting dressed.

 

That is what is driving me to the racks..I like to be able to see them and I tend to grab the ones not in boxes the most. 

 

aaaaannnnnnnnd just learned a lesson in leaving a pair of shoes out with my kids being home....helloo smashed cap toe... fortunately it is a Blue Nuemok and not as painful had it been another shoe...but what the hell....and then they will wonder where their college funds went.... :)

post #42772 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

lurker%5B1%5D.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Haha. Honestly, I don't care. I like the plain look of traditional chelsea boots. I think the other stuff has a place as well, but why branch out when you don't have the basics?


What are the other american made chelsea boots? Do people that like them just get them from european shoe makers no matter what?


Perhaps AE doesn't have a great last for them, which is a shame because they're a really utilitarian boot and one of the few pairs of shoes that look equally at home dressed up with a suit or down with jeans. They really traverse the spectrum.

Yeah, I don't really care either. Not really the argumentative type. And Cliche is technically correct anyway.

I must remind myself to wear my navy Spiaggias to my next interview, err audition, tho.

Before the verdict came down against discontinued shoe MTOs, I toyed with ordering a dressed up Ashbury, which is a casual Chelsea(ISH) on the 2 last.
post #42773 of 70737

Building up my shoe wardrobe for business casual environment. Not sure what the next hole to fill is (I know it's very subjective, but I'd like your thoughts).

 

So far I have:

 

Black Park Avenue (captoe bal)

Dark Brown Clifton (captoe Oxford with light broguing)

Chili Garner (discontinued single monk strap)

 

Brown pebbled longwing (old Florsheim)

Burgundy shell longwing (old Florsheim)

 

Thanks!

post #42774 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheuk View Post

Building up my shoe wardrobe for business casual environment. Not sure what the next hole to fill is (I know it's very subjective, but I'd like your thoughts).

So far I have:

Black Park Avenue (captoe bal)
Dark Brown Clifton (captoe Oxford with light broguing)
Chili Garner (discontinued single monk strap)

Brown pebbled longwing (old Florsheim)
Burgundy shell longwing (old Florsheim)

Thanks!
Hate to suggest the obvious, but you should look at the McAllister or Strand in Walnut. J
post #42775 of 70737
...A bit of good timing on Tax Day - I found a '$20 off on purchases of $20 or more' mailer from JAB last night. What did I do with it? Took it to the nearest JAB (3 blocks away), ordered two pair of shoe trees (now $10/pair) and strode happily back to the office with $55 worth of trees for... $1.78 - it's like finding a large bill in an old pair of pants! Two pair of my lower quality shoes will now receive split toe trees, while two lucky pair get the full toe treatment for the cost of a pack of gum. The larger pack. Not the five-sticker. B-)
post #42776 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

They are a lot smarter than Clark's in my opinion. I could easily wear these in my office, whereas I think Clark's are pretty sloppy and not office material.

I wouldn't wear clarks in an office either. But I wouldn't call them sloppy either, I pretty much wear my clarks for casual wear on weekends with jeans and chino's.

I agree the AMOK does look smart and gives off a more smart casual vibe than the clarks. I'm just torn between the AMOK and mctavish for casual purposes.
post #42777 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by njruss View Post

The Brooks Brothers Strand in walnut is available for $199.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesuquegolfer View Post

Man am I tempted to buy these Strand golf shoes, remove the spikes, fill in the holes, and wear them as regular dress shoes. I own a pair of Strands and they are my favorite shoes. They have really gone up in price over the years, so $199 is quite appealing. I play a ton of golf and I don't feel like they would be comfortable enough for me to wear for 18 holes. Although I love my current Strands, I would not say they are as comfortable as my golf shoes.

[/quo

The $199 price is on seconds from the Shoebank. .
post #42778 of 70737

So far I own this: Strand in walnut, Park Avenue in black and bourbon, Flatiron in walnut, and Vernon in saddle brown.  I've wanted a Mora 2.0 for awhile probably in brown, and I'm liking the new University.  What do you guys think I should get in this sale?  Would love your input.  Also read there is another sale in 3 months, should I wait?

post #42779 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dimond View Post
 

So far I own this: Strand in walnut, Park Avenue in black and bourbon, Flatiron in walnut, and Vernon in saddle brown.  I've wanted a Mora 2.0 for awhile probably in brown, and I'm liking the new University.  What do you guys think I should get in this sale?  Would love your input.  Also read there is another sale in 3 months, should I wait?

 

Is there a mora 2.0 in chilli in your size at the shoe bank?

post #42780 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dimond View Post
 

So far I own this: Strand in walnut, Park Avenue in black and bourbon, Flatiron in walnut, and Vernon in saddle brown.  I've wanted a Mora 2.0 for awhile probably in brown, and I'm liking the new University.  What do you guys think I should get in this sale?  Would love your input.  Also read there is another sale in 3 months, should I wait?

 

If you follow this thread, I'll find that there is always a sale of some sort (firsts or seconds).  Based on what you currently have, you're missing some wingtips.  McAllisters in Merlot with V-tread tap sole is fantastic at the sale price.  I have the University in Bourbon and love them but some may find them a bit fashion forward based on the 3 last.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...