or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2802  

post #42016 of 70737
Hmm...I might need to go for the MacNeil 5 Webgem. I own a pair of Brooks Brothers MacNeil seconds, and I like the design a lot. However, the toe box is too low for me (judging from other pictures I've seen of MacNeils, it seems to be the case for the 97 last) so my big toe is always in contact against the top of the toe cap area, making it uncomfortable to wear. I have no such problems with the 65 last, so this version would work in my favor. I'm also a huge fan of Chromexcel, so that's another selling point for me. The only problem is that I REALLY REALLY don't need to buy more shoes...shog[1].gif
post #42017 of 70737
Isn't Chromexcel just a cheaper leather that AE is moving too?
post #42018 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgweiser53 View Post

Isn't Chromexcel just a cheaper leather that AE is moving too?

Chromexcel does appear to be less expensive than say calfskin, as most Chromexcel shoes I've seen cost less than the same shoes made with calfskin. However, I personally find Chromexcel to be the perfect leather for casual shoes. I really like how the leather looks and it is very durable yet comfortable at the same time. Alden makeups using Chromexcel seem to be very popular, and I think it's good for AE to get more Chormexcel into their lineup.
post #42019 of 70737

Chromexcel, Dublin, and Shell Cordovan are from Horween in Chicago.  The calf that AE uses is imported.  When one buys things made of Chromexcel, Dublin, and Shell Codovan one supports American business and American workers.

post #42020 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

It's interesting, because a Google image search brings up some pairs that reflect what you are describing, where there is a visible extra layer of leather, and some pairs that don't seem to show that.  I see that extra layer in yours as well.  I don't own the Jefferson, but when examining them in person (which has been a while ago), I don't recall noticing this. 

 

That makes me wonder if they've been inconsistent or even changed how they are making the shoes.  When they originally introduced the Independence collection, they were marketed as having thicker outsoles of a heavier iron, which is better quality than simply stacking two layers of thinner leather.  So in other words, don't shoot the messenger. :D  I'm just taking what they originally said at face value, but things may have changed.  As you know, they don't market the shoes as having double leather soles. 

 

Personally, I consider two thin layers of leather to be a thin double sole.  While an extra iron thickness in leather is what it is, thicker leather, which is better than sandwiching two thinner layers together. 

 

I feel somewhat responsible for getting MWS into this mess.  :D  I'll try to get a pic and post it.  All I know, my Jeffersons are "pretty darn thick," however many layers or irons that may be.

 

BTW, I find mine in dark brown to be a very versatile shoe.

post #42021 of 70737

So the first pair of my sharkskin Eagle County (that did not pass inspection) has ended up on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Allen-Edmonds-Eagle-County-12-3E-Snakeskin-VERY-RARE-/301141500850?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item461d6ea3b2

 

Seeing as they only cost $197 for firsts, I think it's funny he's posted them for $249 as seconds.  BTW - they're shark skin, not snake skin.

post #42022 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post

So the first pair of my sharkskin Eagle County (that did not pass inspection) has ended up on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Allen-Edmonds-Eagle-County-12-3E-Snakeskin-VERY-RARE-/301141500850?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item461d6ea3b2

Seeing as they only cost $197 for firsts, I think it's funny he's posted them for $249 as seconds.  BTW - they're shark skin, not snake skin.

I know this cat is a regular here, but something about this just seems wrong to me. I feel like whomever commissioned the shoe should have first dibs on purchasing them as seconds. Does anyone else agree?

I think it's the fact that he's reselling them that rubs me the wrong way....
post #42023 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I know this cat is a regular here, but something about this just seems wrong to me. I feel like whomever commissioned the shoe should have first dibs on purchasing them as seconds. Does anyone else agree?

I think it's the fact that he's reselling them that rubs me the wrong way....

I disagree.  That would lead to people buying a new pair of shoes and then nitpicking some minor flaw and then swooping in and scarfing them up as seconds.  People are too picky as it is.  

post #42024 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

I know this cat is a regular here, but something about this just seems wrong to me. I feel like whomever commissioned the shoe should have first dibs on purchasing them as seconds. Does anyone else agree?

I think it's the fact that he's reselling them that rubs me the wrong way....

I feel the same way but it is what it is.

On another note, now that I know I'm actually a size 6.5EEE and not a 6.5E on the 5 last and that the size is available through the MTO program, I'd like to nail down four other dress shoes besides dark brown burnished strands (which I could still actually return if a better option arises) to wear with blue/grey suits. The first three are definitely in:

1) Walnut Strands
2) Walnut Jefferson
3) Bourbon Strand without medallion
4) Walnut PA to replace the size 6.5E that I own and have to sell?

Is the bourbon and dark brown burnished too similar? Also, I'm not a fan of the McAllister but do like the Jefferson and I'm iffy on the Fifth Ave. Thoughts? Thanks!
Edited by wonsmithr8 - 4/1/14 at 9:24am
post #42025 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post
 

Chromexcel, Dublin, and Shell Cordovan are from Horween in Chicago.  The calf that AE uses is imported.  When one buys things made of Chromexcel, Dublin, and Shell Codovan one supports American business and American workers.

 

When AE uses a Horween leather like Chromexcel (CXL) or Dublin, don't they usually say it?    If these Macneil 5 webgems were actually Chromexcel, wouldn't AE say so?      

post #42026 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

I disagree.  That would lead to people buying a new pair of shoes and then nitpicking some minor flaw and then swooping in and scarfing them up as seconds.  People are too picky as it is.  

I don't think most people would be as dishonest as you say. Most of the issues with MTOs we've seen people complain about as pretty clear-cut. But anyway, I'm thinking about shoes that fail factory inspection.
post #42027 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonsmithr8 View Post

I feel the same way but it is what it is.

On another note, now that I know I'm actually a size 6.5EEE and not a 6.5E on the 5 last and that the size is available through the MTO program, I'd like to nail down four other dress shoes besides dark brown burnished strands (which I could still actually return if a better option arises) to wear with blue/grey suits. The first three are definitely in:

1) Walnut Strands
2) Walnut Jefferson
3) Bourbon Strand without medallion
4) Walnut PA to replace the size 6.5E that I own and have to sell?

Is the bourbon and dark brown burnished too similar? Also, I'm not a fan of the McAllister but do like the Jefferson and I'm iffy on the Fifth Ave. Thoughts? Thanks!

Bourbon is closer to walnut than dark brown.

I'd go for Merlot...
post #42028 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Bourbon is closer to walnut than dark brown.

I'd go for Merlot...

Ah right I forgot about that.

Hmm I just had a thought. I do really like the strands so maybe I could do this:

Return the dark brown burnished strands and get the strand in walnut, merlot, and bourbon (bourbon without medallion-I like the brown burnished pair that LeviMay posted in the MTO but prefer bourbon) and walnut Jefferson. I could make due with four since I'd only wear suits 4 days a week and I could just keep the walnut PAs as backup since I wouldn't get much in return and it's still wearable.
post #42029 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I know this cat is a regular here, but something about this just seems wrong to me. I feel like whomever commissioned the shoe should have first dibs on purchasing them as seconds. Does anyone else agree?

I think it's the fact that he's reselling them that rubs me the wrong way....

Pepper, I happen to agree with you.

I think if someone commissions a shoe and it gets rejected at AE before it is shipped, the person should be able to get a photo with a description of the flaw and decide if they want to buy it at a discounted price.

post #42030 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmartin View Post
 

 

When AE uses a Horween leather like Chromexcel (CXL) or Dublin, don't they usually say it?    If these Macneil 5 webgems were actually Chromexcel, wouldn't AE say so?      

"CXL", "Dublin Leather" and "Horween Shell Cordovan" are all trademarks of the Horween Tannery in Chicago. It is probably as redundant to say CXL or Dublin made by Horween as to say Beetle made by VW. My speculation is that this is precisely why AE does not explicitly mention these leathers come from Horween. However, since shell cordovan is also made by several other tanneries in the world, AE does explicitly say it comes from Horween.


Edited by cincikid - 4/1/14 at 7:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...