or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2702  

post #40516 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven7seven View Post



Thanks guys. And am I making the correct decision on going for a more formal brown before going for a walnut strand? Really like the look of the walnut strand w/ grey suits, but thinking it may be too fashion forward for my 2nd staple pair of shoes.

I bought the walnut strands and I tried to convince myself that it wouldn't look too fashion forward. I ended up returning them and from then on I only purchased brown or burgundy shoes. In my work environment, I think walnut would be way too fashion forward. People even question me about my burgundy shoes. Of course the environment in which you plan to wear them may be different. I think only you could judge that.

post #40517 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySaw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac View Post

Received my new Franciscan Monk Straps today. I needed a black pair of shoes that I could wear with a suit as well as jeans. These certainly fit the build! They are a tad loose but nothing that tongue pads could not remedy.


For those of you that have monk straps, do you slip them on and off or do you undo the strap every time? Just wondering what the masses are doing.


I also wanted to recognize the fantastic service I get from Kristle at the Jeffersonville location. She will always take time to answer any questions I have regarding fit and comparing different lasts to one another.



Those are some very nice monks! But they need a shine. I would give them a little bit of conditioner, then a few coats of cream polish, and finally wax the toe-box. I think monks are an elegant shoe, and benefit from a mirror shine on the toe. No need to undo the straps - treat them like loafers.

I agree! I took that picture as soon as they came out of the box. You would think that they came polished from the factory!
post #40518 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
 

What belts do you guys own/pair with your AEs?  I bought the walnut Manistees to pair with my walnut Strands (not planning on getting another walnut shoe), bourbon Dearborn for my Mora 2s (I might get another bourbon shoe), just picked up the merlot Manistees on sale to go with the McAllisters I just bought (decided not to get another merlot after this).  I bought a cheap reversible black/brown belt for my black McAllisters, but those broke, so now I'm looking to buy a quality black belt to match with the McAllisters and any black colored shoes I might purchase down the line.  Any suggestions?

 

How about AE's black wide basic dress belt? Good quality and matches just about any black shoe.

 

Of course, if you want something special for your McAllisters, the black Manistee is a great match. AE's anniversary sale is next month. The manager of my local store told me that some belts will be on sale. I didn't ask about the wide basic or McAllister, but I'm sure if you called a store near you, they could tell you.

post #40519 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac View Post

Received my new Franciscan Monk Straps today. I needed a black pair of shoes that I could wear with a suit as well as jeans. These certainly fit the build! They are a tad loose but nothing that tongue pads could not remedy.

For those of you that have monk straps, do you slip them on and off or do you undo the strap every time? Just wondering what the masses are doing.

I also wanted to recognize the fantastic service I get from Kristle at the Jeffersonville location. She will always take time to answer any questions I have regarding fit and comparing different lasts to one another.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

No need to buckle/unbuckle. Adjust the strap to your desired tightness. Then use a shoe horn to put them on from that point on. Take them off like a loafer. 

post #40520 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Can't decide on my MacNeil Golden Brown CXL MTO specs so I want to take the "Ask the Audience" option.
1. Contrasting vs. tone-on-tone stitching?
     I intend to wear them casually, but I am thinking that the contrasting stitching could be an overkill. It looks OK in the Rush Street, but being a cap toe, it      has way less stitching
than the longwing.

2. Red vs. black Dainite.
     I am leaning towards the red one, but opinions are welcome.

Could be paranoia on my part but I would grab the red as that has not always been a mto option. I fear it could return back to non mto status at some point.
post #40521 of 70737
This month's webgems are a trio of Bourbons: Grayson, Lasalle, and University Wingtips.

Ironically I had just reached out to Allison about having a Graysons MTO done along the lines of the shoes posted up on Redclaysoul:







The only issue is AE's webgem appears to use a black sole edge ( i think that may be standard for all of the bourbons now):




Any opinions on the toasted sole edge versus the black? I'm afraid the black will make them look too formal. I'm not sure if the black edge is more jarring to the eyes or adds a nice level of sophistication. I definitely do not like the look of the standard non-webgem bourbon Grayson with black tassels and black side lacing. My intention was to make these casual enough to wear with jeans, chinos, and some light summer wool trousers.

If you think this shoe can't carry it off, I can move on to something else instead.
Edited by Buddy0329 - 3/12/14 at 1:21am
post #40522 of 70737
The University webgems are stunning. If only there wasn't so much variation in color for bourbon...
post #40523 of 70737
Couldn't figure out why universities were showing online the last few days yet could not find them on Edmonds til tonight.
post #40524 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post

This month's webgems are a trio of Bourbons: Grayson, Lasalle, and University Wingtips.

Ironically I had just reached out to Allison about having a Graysons MTO done along the lines of the shoes posted up on Redclaysoul:







The only issue is AE's webgem appears to use a black sole edge ( i think that may be standard for all of the bourbons now):




Any opinions on the more natural looking sole edge versus the black? I'm afraid the black will make them look too formal. I'm not sure if the black edge is more jarring to the eyes or adds a nice level of sophistication. I definitely do not like the look of the standard non-webgem bourbon Grayson with black tassels and black side lacing. My intention was to make these casual enough to wear with jeans, chinos, and some light summer wool trousers.

If you think this shoe can't carry it off, I can move on to something else instead.

I would sand the sides and then use natural edge dressing...the contrast between the black on the upper welt and the natural sides would look great imho
post #40525 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof6 View Post
 

 

How about AE's black wide basic dress belt? Good quality and matches just about any black shoe.

 

Of course, if you want something special for your McAllisters, the black Manistee is a great match. AE's anniversary sale is next month. The manager of my local store told me that some belts will be on sale. I didn't ask about the wide basic or McAllister, but I'm sure if you called a store near you, they could tell you.

I was looking at that.  The AE's anniversary sale is next month?  I'll definitely give the Reston store a call to find out.  Thanks for the heads up!

post #40526 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

New Dark Chocolate Daltons picked up today. I have the Cascades, but those are lower and far more casual. I am really liking these. I was wearing some medium gray wool slacks when I tried them on and it looked very nice.

I just put on a little AE Cleaner / Conditioner and buffed them.



Chris

 

Just got my seconds chocolate dalton's and I'm disappointed that they are substantially darker than I expected them to be. I would put them at borderline black (perhaps why they're seconds?) wondering what a good technique to bring out their brown would be. I'm considering, similar to you, using some lexol conditioner to strip it down a bit before buffing and polishing with AE dark brown polish. Advice appreciated.

post #40527 of 70737
My white Neumok is in from the webgem. Here are piccies:


post #40528 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincikid View Post

Can't decide on my MacNeil Golden Brown CXL MTO specs so I want to take the "Ask the Audience" option.
1. Contrasting vs. tone-on-tone stitching?
     I intend to wear them casually, but I am thinking that the contrasting stitching could be an overkill. It looks OK in the Rush Street, but being a cap toe, it      has way less stitching
than the longwing.

2. Red vs. black Dainite.
     I am leaning towards the red one, but opinions are welcome.

Tone on tone with red. Your initial instinct is the best I believe. Going to be an awesome makeup.
post #40529 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

My white Neumok is in from the webgem. Here are piccies:



Beautiful colors and model...very cool...

post #40530 of 70737

I'm a big fan of the webgem University in bourbon with that dainite sole.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...