or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2691  

post #40351 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

I bought the snuff amoks during the clearance sale for about $130, but wasn't sure if I should return it and consider Alden's version. It's going to be around 2 to 3 times the price of my amoks, but I was wondering whether there's a significant step-up in quality to warrant the premium. For transparency, I'll post a similar question in the Alden thread.  

I picked up the amok's as well. I've looked into the Alden, but never seriously looked into them due to the huge price difference even when considering regular priced items. When you consider that the Amok's sold for about $117.00 if you got the extra 20% off discount, it would be outrageous to purchase a pair of alden's at like $450.00, $475.00, plus taxes and maybe shipping. But, if money is no object then go for what you prefer. Both are US made, the Alden may arguably be more visually appealing, and apparently a superior comfort level. But there's no way that would amount to the price difference. You could have purchased almost four pairs for the price of one, had you jumped on that. As another posted stated, suede's life span can be shorter than calf, therefore it makes even less sense to invest in an Alden vs AE in this situation.
Edited by Rene_Lahm - 3/9/14 at 6:37pm
post #40352 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEWithoutStyle View Post
 

Can anyone comment on my Mojave Chukkas I got in from the clearance sale?  There is so much inconsistency in the nap of the suede.  No matter how much I brush I can't get an even consistency.  Is unlined suede supposed to be like this because my suede Strands have a very consistent nap all around on both shoes.  I'm most likely going to return due to the inconsistency and the mark on the right shoe but just wanted some opinions.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

I see nothing here that would make me return these. Nap looks fine to me and scuff is very small and unnoticeable imo. YMMV.

post #40353 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_Lahm View Post


I picked up the amok's as well. I've looked into the Alden, but never seriously looked into them due to the huge price difference even when considering regular priced items. When you consider that the Amok's sold for about $117.00 if you got the extra 20% off discount, it would be outrageous to purchase a pair of alden's at like $450.00, $475.00, plus taxes and maybe shipping. But, if money is no object then go for what you prefer. Both are US made, the Alden may arguably be more visually appealing, and apparently a superior comfort level. But there's no way that would amount to the price different. You could have purchased almost four pairs for the price of one, had you jumped on that. As another posted stated, suede's life span can be shorter than calf, therefore it makes even less sense to invest in an Alden vs AE in this situation.

 

What is this extra 20% you refer to?

post #40354 of 70737
Someone was recently asking about chocolate Dalton pictures. Check out hespokestyle.com and thumb through several of his blog posts. He wears them many times with different looks. I have a pair myself and think they're fantastic.
post #40355 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEWithoutStyle View Post
 

Can anyone comment on my Mojave Chukkas I got in from the clearance sale?  There is so much inconsistency in the nap of the suede.  No matter how much I brush I can't get an even consistency.  Is unlined suede supposed to be like this because my suede Strands have a very consistent nap all around on both shoes.  I'm most likely going to return due to the inconsistency and the mark on the right shoe but just wanted some opinions.

 

 

 

 

Have you owned suede shoes like these before?  Suede, from what my experience has been, is inconsistent by it's very nature.  Throw in the fact that you'll be wearing these outside, presumably, and they are going to get somewhat marked up and have inconsistencies. 

post #40356 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

 

 

Have you owned suede shoes like these before?  Suede, from what my experience has been, is inconsistent by it's very nature.  Throw in the fact that you'll be wearing these outside, presumably, and they are going to get somewhat marked up and have inconsistencies. 

My second pair of suede behind my suede strands but my strands aren't like this so was just wondering.

post #40357 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbw11 View Post


The welt is brown not chili. Though it does kinda look like the Chili welt in the pics.

Wow, I really want this configuration. Eagle county is such a beautiful shoe. I wonder why they discontinued it and I wish we could still MTO these babies.

post #40358 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by movoblast View Post

Wow, I really want this configuration. Eagle county is such a beautiful shoe. I wonder why they discontinued it and I wish we could still MTO these babies.

Well I am selling mine, PM me with your size.
post #40359 of 70737

Well, as many have said before "some lasts just dont fit." As is the case with the Dalton.

 

11D, too tight.

11E, too loose.

10.5E, too tight.

 

It's a shame as I need a dress boot.

 

Any suggestions? Would 10.5EEE be too loose?

post #40360 of 70737

Will there be a 2 for $250 seconds sale within the next couple months?

 

also, if there is, would I be able to order the shoes via the website or calling stores? Nearest AE store is 180miles away :(

post #40361 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleNovice6 View Post
 

Will there be a 2 for $250 seconds sale within the next couple months?

 

also, if there is, would I be able to order the shoes via the website or calling stores? Nearest AE store is 180miles away :(

 

I spoke with a representative today that told me to look out for one by the end of the month. You can call and place an order through Allison, but you will first need to email shoebank@allenedmonds.com and request a seconds list in your size. You can then call Allison and let her know which models you want and order through her.

post #40362 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post

What is this extra 20% you refer to?

There was a 5 or 6 day promotion that offered an extra 20% off clearance items. The amoks were 147 and the discount brought it to 117.
post #40363 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

Well, as many have said before "some lasts just dont fit." As is the case with the Dalton.

11D, too tight.
11E, too loose.
10.5E, too tight.

It's a shame as I need a dress boot.

Any suggestions? Would 10.5EEE be too loose?
Did you try the 11E with thicker socks?
post #40364 of 70737
I would imagine that AE would like to say what I am going to say, but they probably won't, because of the "customer is always right" mantra and they don't want to upset any customer from Style Forum.

I would imagine that AE is glad that the majority of their customers are not from Style Forum. As I go back and read through this forum, I am amazed at the people who do everything they can to get a DEAL. If AE only sold to SF members, they would go broke. In addition, I am surprised at the people that take a magnifying glass to their DISCOUNTED and SECOND's and look for every possible flaw and either return them or ask if they should. The fact that these shoes involve a lot of hand work, I guess has nothing to do with people's mentality that the shoes should be "completely error free and without even the most minor flaw."

How many people have received MTO shoes/boots at a sale price or at a significant discount? How often does that happen with other reputable brands? Not often, yet we gripe and moan that we can no longer get our MTO's on sale or at a big discount. And now, if you can believe it, they won't do MTO's on discontinued models. The gall of this company.

Come on guys, if you can't afford the full retail price, then by all means, buy them as seconds or buy another brand. But let's stop whining and complaining about minor flaws, MTO's on discontinued models, etc. If there is a major flaw, sure return them.

I'm happy there is a company that has "made in America" quality products that sells them at a reasonable price, listens to their customers and has pretty darn good customer service. Let's quit whining that we can't get this or that for a significant discount and step up and pay full price once in a while.

OK, let the flaming begin!
post #40365 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post
 

 

I spoke with a representative today that told me to look out for one by the end of the month. You can call and place an order through Allison, but you will first need to email shoebank@allenedmonds.com and request a seconds list in your size. You can then call Allison and let her know which models you want and order through her.

Thank you very much for the response, I will make sure to look out for it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...