Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 2/25/17 at 7:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:37 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2642post #39616 of 707372/25/14 at 1:33pmpost #39617 of 707372/25/14 at 1:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by bkotsko
Quote:Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf
So, I wanted to obtain a sample of AE natural CXL to compare it to that of Alden. Accordingly, I picked up a pair of Clark Streets. Here they are, side-by-side with my Indy boots (which have been worn twice and are not yet treated):
In my opinion, AE does not come out well here. Interesting how the same leather in what purports to be the same color can come out so differently. Based on this, I no longer aspire to get an MTO Leeds or Stewart (or MacNeil for that matter) in the AE natty.
I am not convinced it is an AE problem, like others have said.
I think the variations in the Natural CXL varies tremendously.
That being said, both pair will darken significantly with wear.
I have some Alden Captoes that have begin to show patina and have darkened quite a bit.
Thanks for the perspective. This is all the more reason not to go MTO, IMO - you're stuck with it even if the leather turns out like those Clark Streets and doesn't age the way you hope it will.post #39618 of 707372/25/14 at 1:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kahuna75
Thanks all for the responses, glad to have learned some new things. I do prefer cuffed pants so perhaps I am not far off from the roll after all...I can see wanting to show off more of the Dalton for sure. Now hopefully my debit card stays in my pocket and I do not go explore selvedge denim.
Had the Olive Neumoks out today too but put them back as it seemed we might have had some crappy weather so I put on the black AE Halsted's vibrum soled which without a doubt fit me best of all my AE shoes. LOL I will be sitting on my hands.
(1) I always cuff selvedge denim (the better to show it off), but I never cuff my cheap colored non-selvedge denim.
(2) Selvedge does not have to be as expensive as all that. The true denim aficionados wouldn't dream of paying less than $300 for a pair (raw, Japanese, etc.), but I have some from J. Crew that doesn't aspire to quite that level that I was able to pick up for <$100 on sale. Of course, many of those said aficionados wouldn't wipe their asses with my denim . . .
(3) Skinny jeans I can do without, but you might be surprised by how good you look in slimmer-cut styles if you haven't tried any recently.
End of threadjack.post #39619 of 707372/25/14 at 1:52pm
I actually jut took a closer look at them and was removing some of the caked on junk AE puts on them and noticed they don't even have a seconds stamp. Not sure how I scored them for the $299 but very excited I did. The color is also starting to look amazing as I get down to the actual shell. Still have yet to brush them, I will probably hit them a few more rounds with the Reno to see what else comes off first. It should be good with just the Mac Method from there, maybe a little Saphir Cordovan Cream.post #39620 of 707372/25/14 at 2:01pmQuote:
Oooh killing! I'll go ahead and take credit for planting the seed in your mind.
Can't wait to see it.post #39621 of 707372/25/14 at 2:03pmpost #39622 of 707372/25/14 at 2:05pmpost #39623 of 707372/25/14 at 2:31pmpost #39624 of 707372/25/14 at 3:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Burzan
Dark Brown Cordovan Dundee seconds arrived today, very happy with them and could only find a rough/sharp feeling patch on piping as an issue. Could be a comfort problem at first but I suspect it sill soften up with some Reno applied and with wear. Other than that they seem to be without defect.
Where were you able to find seconds of the Dundee? Calling?
Those are spectacular by the way... bravo.post #39625 of 707372/25/14 at 3:22pmQuote:
Those are purty as hell. What size?post #39626 of 707372/25/14 at 3:24pmpost #39627 of 707372/25/14 at 3:25pmpost #39628 of 707372/25/14 at 3:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by Burzan
I called the Shoebank trying to find a pair of brown cordovan Strands and the SA mentioned the Dundee in my size and I couldn't resist.
Nor should you have.post #39629 of 707372/25/14 at 3:30pmQuote:
I'm afraid to call now. What if they tell me they have some in my size? I don't know if I have the strength to stop myself...post #39630 of 707372/25/14 at 3:54pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recommended UK tailors for bespoke or made to measure 3 piece suit... 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 10 minutes ago
- › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 13 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 17 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...