or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2617  

post #39241 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyoshi68 View Post

HDLP came in; jumped right on my Long Branches, in prep for snow today. Shoes are darker, still take some shine, and hopefully will continue to lighten. Thank you styleforum for the knowledge.

 

Just got some Long Branch's in (see couple posts back) .. how are you liking yours since you applied the HDLP? Did they continue to lighten any?  

 

I'm really looking to HDLP mine so they can handle more abuse... any other suggestions/tips?

post #39242 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyoshi68 View Post

Agreed random-adam; the color was super saturated where I applied the cream... you may be able to see it in the photos.  I'm sorry for the lack of description in my process - it was included in an earlier post - wipe down with a damp towel, followed by clean dry one (scooped up a lot of the bloom and stuff they put on the shoes). VSC application, massaged into hide (more bloom / stuff removed), repeat... Then a lengthy brush down (20+ min per shoe) with soft (should I have gone stiff?) horsehair brush...
out of box: 
 after damp towel down and VSC:
 after extended brushing:



It was at this point that I used the bean sized amount of AE cordo cream on left shoe only to acquire even shine (using cotton T, let sit about ten minutes, then light brush and buff):


...I know I hadn't given step by step, but I was just looking for suggestions on how I might get that toe even with the right one (above); apologies for my sketchy play-by-play!

Paste wax is the way to go.

I have a pair of brown Dundee in shell. It came out of the box with thick chunk of unknown product on it. A damp microfiber cloth is very useful in removing these unwanted product. VSC helps removing these products and treating the leather as well, but I would start with just a damp cloth.

AE and Saphir cordovan cream are both very good adding some color the leather (or even out the color, shells often have some uneven color spots) and introduce some shine. In fact I find AE cordovan cream works better than Saphir's, although AE cordovan cream smells weird... But they can never provide the kind of shine that paste wax can produce.

So, step by step, I'd do the following
(1) Wipe down (a few times) with a damp microfiber cloth to remove unwanted product
(2) Repeat (1) with VSC especially if (1) makes the leather look a bit dry
(3) Brush heavily in between each iteration of (1) and (2).
(4) Apply a thin layer of AE or Saphir cordovan cream to the whole shoe, brush, buff.
(5) Apply a layer or two of paste wax to the cap toe and heel to achieve more shine

I was polishing a pair of calf leather shoes together with my shell Dundee yesterday. And I noticed that one needs a lot less wax to achieve mirror shine with shell.
post #39243 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguyette View Post

My Eagle County MTO arrived, and I couldn't be happier about how they turned out.
Tan Dublin, although it looks darker than the picture online. Mini lug sole. Natural wheeled welt, with white welt stitching.
Exactly what I was after...



Full quote for awesomeness. Nice order!

That dublin is beautiful. It looks like a Red Wing or Wolverine boot (but considerably more elegant).

Congratulations!
post #39244 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45 View Post

Just got some Long Branch's in (see couple posts back) .. how are you liking yours since you applied the HDLP? Did they continue to lighten any?  

I'm really looking to HDLP mine so they can handle more abuse... any other suggestions/tips?
they got dark... And have stayed that way. Don't polish up as nice... I think the lightening is going to happen over a much longer period than I expected. They are like tanks now,though... I was tipping around in the elements until the HDLP, but now snow and salt just fall off or wipe away! smile.gif
post #39245 of 70737
Just received the invoice for my MTO MacNeils! Hoping they get here soon!
post #39246 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post

Paste wax is the way to go.

I have a pair of brown Dundee in shell. It came out of the box with thick chunk of unknown product on it. A damp microfiber cloth is very useful in removing these unwanted product. VSC helps removing these products and treating the leather as well, but I would start with just a damp cloth.

AE and Saphir cordovan cream are both very good adding some color the leather (or even out the color, shells often have some uneven color spots) and introduce some shine. In fact I find AE cordovan cream works better than Saphir's, although AE cordovan cream smells weird... But they can never provide the kind of shine that paste wax can produce.

So, step by step, I'd do the following
(1) Wipe down (a few times) with a damp microfiber cloth to remove unwanted product
(2) Repeat (1) with VSC especially if (1) makes the leather look a bit dry
(3) Brush heavily in between each iteration of (1) and (2).
(4) Apply a thin layer of AE or Saphir cordovan cream to the whole shoe, brush, buff.
(5) Apply a layer or two of paste wax to the cap toe and heel to achieve more shine

I was polishing a pair of calf leather shoes together with my shell Dundee yesterday. And I noticed that one needs a lot less wax to achieve mirror shine with shell.
+1 to your last sentence;again, I was just trying to get an even shine on both toes. Not complaining, mind you, because I love, LOVE the shoes... What color paste wax are you going with... Neutral or the color of the shell? And thanks for your interpretation on your process!
post #39247 of 70737

Those eagle county MTO's look great. Those boots look like they'd work pretty well in a slightly more formal ensemble as well. Great pick up!

post #39248 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyoshi68 View Post

+1 to your last sentence;again, I was just trying to get an even shine on both toes. Not complaining, mind you, because I love, LOVE the shoes... What color paste wax are you going with... Neutral or the color of the shell? And thanks for your interpretation on your process!

I use wax that matches the color of the shell. I use Alden paste wax (available in black, brown, color 8, tan) mostly because I already own them and they are cheap. Some people said that Alden wax are just rebranded Kiwi, not sure if that's true but I've never heard bad thing about Kiwi wax. Many have also commented that Saphir paste wax is superior... I have no experience with them. I guess I will give them a try in the (very distance) future when I use up my current stock.
post #39249 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Those eagle county MTO's look great. Those boots look like they'd work pretty well in a slightly more formal ensemble as well. Great pick up!

I agree, I've been seriously debating a Galway-esque MTO of the Eagle County with a leather/suede shaft combo. I'm not really a boot guy and dont have the opportunity to wear them often anyways, so that's been holding me back.
post #39250 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguyette View Post

My Eagle County MTO arrived, and I couldn't be happier about how they turned out.
Tan Dublin, although it looks darker than the picture online. Mini lug sole. Natural wheeled welt, with white welt stitching.
Exactly what I was after...



And another eagle has landed! Great looking shoe. If you don't mind me asking when did you place the order for this bad boy? I ordered mine last Dec 5 but I've been told it will be a couple of more weeks before it's finished (failed inspection).

Is the an Dublin the same as the tan saddle waxy leather of the Elgin? I asked that the Elgin leather be used on my EC and I'm hoping its a but lighter than the Dublin.
post #39251 of 70737
Thanks!
I initially contacted Allison on 12/3, and finalized details on 12/30, which is when she sent my invoice.
The leather was the Tan Dublin, from the Tan Rothsay. It doesn't appear to be the same as what they use on the Elgin.


And another eagle has landed! Great looking shoe. If you don't mind me asking when did you place the order for this bad boy? I ordered mine last Dec 5 but I've been told it will be a couple of more weeks before it's finished (failed inspection).

Is the an Dublin the same as the tan saddle waxy leather of the Elgin? I asked that the Elgin leather be used on my EC and I'm hoping its a but lighter than the Dublin.[/quote]
post #39252 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

For what it's worth, the toe of all my pebble grain shoes is smoother than the rest of the shoe. I think it has something to do with the stretching and stiffening that occurs. So that's not necessarily a defect.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

 

 

Also I have a pair of Nettleton's out at B Nelson which are pebbled and they too were less on the captoe from what I recall.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc121 View Post


this is correct, the stretching of the leather over the last causes the grain near the toes be less pronounced. The grain is just imprinted on the leather, so the stretching diminishes the effect of the grain.

 

Cool. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong that I can find then.

post #39253 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacktasticGDogg View Post


I have a pair of Brooks Brothers chilli grain MacNeil 2nds that has the low toe profile of your Summit Aves (may be even lower). I wish it had the higher toe profile of your black MacNeils since the low profile causes my big toe to be in constant contact (with some slight pressure) with the toe cap and causes some pain after a few hours of wear. The toe profile is also different between the two shoes, which I thought is one of the defects that made it a 2nd. I didn't realize this until months after getting the shoe and several wears, so I could not return them.

It's too bad because I really like the looks of the MacNeil. I also like the "boat anchor" feel of them too as they feels extremely substantial. Unfortunately I've decided that I have too many shoes now to spend time wearing a pair that causes discomfort, so I'm unlikely to wear them any more.

 

Interesting. I guess each may vary slightly.

 

I definitely hear what you're saying. I put them on again and definitely like them and with certain outfits, like the more substantial look. I'm not very tall and don't have large feet so the sleeker toe of the Summit Ave feels right on me.

post #39254 of 70737

Rare shell updates from Boston, round two:

 

There's a pair of 8.5E cappuccino shell dundee's sitting in the Newbury AE store. Somebody wear those please

post #39255 of 70737

Damnit, if only it were a size 8.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...