or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2581  

post #38701 of 70737



just kicking my feet up with a textbook half an hour before an evening class, and then I'm going right from there to a Women's Bar Association Valentine's silent auction event. seemed like a good excuse to break these out (with a white/tan striped linen banded collar shirt and light blue silk/wool sports jacket) ... seeing the weather up north this week sure makes law school in Fla. look like the right choice
post #38702 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

Thanks for the response.  Is Mike a manager or an SA?

SA

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post
 

 

I actually have a charcoal pair of Lululemon pants like these that I love. From afar, they actually look like dress pants. Most comfortable pants I own, actually. Thanks for the tip!

 

Might try them out with some light gray cords I have also. Do you think they would work with gray/white gingham shorts?

You're welcome!  I was going to recommend light grey cords, as well--but I avoid dark shoes with shorts at all costs.  It's not flattering to my Wisconsin legs!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablot View Post

I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

My Jermyns are slightly narrower than my PAs.  I had the Jermyns stretched and now they fit the same.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK1891 View Post
 I'm keeping the walnut Jermyn's which I thought I'd missed the boat on!
 

I fell in love with the walnut Jermyn's when I saw a SA in Philly wearing them; later bought mine at clearance price in the DC store.  The manager said she thought it was the best looking shoe in the store and couldn't imagine why AE was killing it so soon.  I was very happy to have not missed the boat!

post #38703 of 70737
Just received a pair of Park Avenue seconds. I immediately noticed the left toe cap is slightly askew. Thoughts? Should I consider returning, or am I being too anal?

post #38704 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve View Post

Just received a pair of Park Avenue seconds. I immediately noticed the left toe cap is slightly askew. Thoughts? Should I consider returning, or am I being too anal?


If this is the only "flaw" for these shoes I would actually consider them firsts and would not return them. 

post #38705 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb06 View Post


If this is the only "flaw" for these shoes I would actually consider them firsts and would not return them. 

Cool, good to hear. No other flaws that I can see, but I'm far from an expert.
post #38706 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by namgungh View Post
 

hey all,

 

today I received my factory second, fifth avenue walnut,

 

as seen, there is a lining on the top captoe part, is this something expected from *factory second* shoes?

 

in person, the lining is much more visible and I just can't stand it... 

 

is this considered defect? 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".

To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

 

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

 

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,

I don't think I will ever buy anything from AE online ... :\

post #38707 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIK1891 View Post




just kicking my feet up with a textbook half an hour before an evening class, and then I'm going right from there to a Women's Bar Association Valentine's silent auction event. seemed like a good excuse to break these out (with a white/tan striped linen banded collar shirt and light blue silk/wool sports jacket) ... seeing the weather up north this week sure makes law school in Fla. look like the right choice

Summit Aves? I picked up a pair of seconds on the cheap last year and want to find more opportunities to wear them. I wore them out to an old theater during Christmastime to see a show and it felt right.
post #38708 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by namgungh View Post
 

 

 

Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".

To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

 

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

 

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,

I don't think I will ever buy anything from AE online ... :\

If you are stuck with them, then I suggest burnishing the toe-box with some dark brown or black cream polish and then using some black wax to give the toe-box a mirror shine. You could end up with a really nice effect.  If you don't like the burnishing you are doing, you can always remove it using some Renomat or nail polish remover, and start again. 

post #38709 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

The cork underneath the insole is approximately 5 millimeters deep.  How that impacts the inside volume of the shoe really depends upon your individual foot, and nobody should really presume to tell you exactly what will happen.  People carry themselves differently.  Your pressure points will vary from someone else's.  Your gait will be different.  Generally, it is safe to assume that the shoe will loosen up.  Where and how much is variable. 

Thank you for the response. 

 

Here is a picture of me wearing the leeds. The shoe fits fine, just a little snug like I mentioned earlier. Does the crease that forms when I bend my foot seem to be in the right place? 

 

post #38710 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

I realize this is not the proper thread for this question, but I would value the AEAT opinion on what to wear these with.

Black suede walkover bucks I got for an insane deal.

I like.. may I know about this insane deal? :D 

 

edit -- disregard on deal question, I see your post above -- thanks.

post #38711 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by afewnicethings View Post
 

Natural McTavish w/ Gustin American 16'ers 

Nice.. love them both -- I have American 16'ers and Okayama Standard on the way very soon... then have to wait patiently for my Grey Silks.

post #38712 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by namgungh View Post
 

 

 

Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".

To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

 

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

 

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,

I don't think I will ever buy anything from AE online ... :\

Certainly looks fine for a pair of second quality shoes. I have a similar pair of Walnut Sanfords with some of the same streaking over the toe. I have gotten used to it, it adds a little bit of character, and you can't really notice from eye level.

It is tough buying seconds from AE here in Canada. Not only are you charged a ridiculous shipping fee, but you also have to pay a good amount of money to return the shoes. What I do is save up a couple pairs to return, and either drive them to an outlet if I'm passing through (I drive from Nova Scotia to Ontario once/twice a year, so can make a detour to the outlet in Maine - it is like going to heaven) or ship back a couple pairs at a time to lessen the shipping costs. Still tough to swallow though.

post #38713 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by namgungh View Post
 

 

 

Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".

To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

 

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

 

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,

I don't think I will ever buy anything from AE online ... :\

I can certainly see this falling within the acceptable range for 2nds.  I would do my best to polish the striations out of he shoe.  I'm sorry that your experience purchasing online has been so unfavorable.  For what it's worth, I've ordered seven pairs online (5 of them seconds) and never had an issue other than fit.  I'd give them another shot.  Not that I'm persuasive in such matters.  My mother in law has foresworn Ford automobiles and all Kentucky restaurants on the basis of a single bad car in the early 70s and one bad meal in the 90s, and I haven't been able to shake her from her antipathies.

post #38714 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogili222 View Post
 

Thank you for the response. 

 

Here is a picture of me wearing the leeds. The shoe fits fine, just a little snug like I mentioned earlier. Does the crease that forms when I bend my foot seem to be in the right place? 

 

Yes

post #38715 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

Yes

Wonderful.. Thank you.. I got the leeds in both black and burgundy.. should work great to wear to work.. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...