or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2572  

post #38566 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It was a one of those "right place at the right time" days. I was at my local menswear / shoe store and the AE rep was there with the new Spring 2014 shoes and the preliminary Fall 2014 shoes. There are some great shoes coming in the Fall - suede, boots, loafers, etc. Lots of good stuff. He stated it's guaranteed they will all make actual production, but I bet most of them make it.

And I think I found my next purchase - the Rush Street. They look good on the website and they look better in person. He had a pair and I am going to have my local store order some in my size.

Here are the Rush Streets.



Chris

Wow, those look great! Love the color and the contrasting laces. And maybe I'm just a blind idiot (or I've had one too many rum and cokes tonight), but I don't see the difference between these and Strands. Also, a quick Google search shows Rush Streets available on the AE website as well as Sherman Bros. for $325, as compared to the current retail price of $365 for Strands. At any rate, I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.
post #38567 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMay View Post

So after unintentionally sounding like a doosh when we were discussing getting AEs at a discount a few pages back, here are my latest acquisitions...

Burgundy McAllisters. $70 with AE trees:


Congrats! Those are very nice shoes and a crazy price.

-Mike
post #38568 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

Anyone with the Brooks Bros. version of 5-last shoes care to comment on something here? When the shoes were new, did you experience a sensation of your foot sitting higher in the shoe due to the Poron insole, and as a result, slight heel slippage compared to the normal AE shoes? This is precisely what I'm experiencing with my new Brooks PAs that I got during the current sale. They fit and feel fine, but there is slight heel slippage. I'm wondering if this will go away as the shoes break in. I'm thinking it will, since a) the soles will soften up and become more flexible, and b) the Poron insoles will conform to my feet, and my feet will sink in a bit. At least in theory.

Any thoughts?

 

I have a couple pairs of BB Fifth Aves, and yes, I do get some slippage. I've had both for over 6 months now, it has not gotten better but it doesn't bother me much. No slippage on my Ridgeways or Park Aves (both 5 last).

post #38569 of 70737
What the?! I think the Carlyle just lost its wheeled edge! A real bummer because I loved this feature. Boooo!!!

From the front page:




And from the shoe's listing with newly updated photo:



frown.gif
post #38570 of 70737

Hey guys, 

below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

 

 

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:

post #38571 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswatter View Post

Wow, those look great! Love the color and the contrasting laces. And maybe I'm just a blind idiot (or I've had one too many rum and cokes tonight), but I don't see the difference between these and Strands. Also, a quick Google search shows Rush Streets available on the AE website as well as Sherman Bros. for $325, as compared to the current retail price of $365 for Strands. At any rate, I'm definitely interested in getting a pair.

I'm pretty sure the rush street and strands are the same thing except the former is the cxl version and I love cxl
post #38572 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post

What the?! I think the Carlyle just lost its wheeled edge! A real bummer because I loved this feature. Boooo!!!

frown.gif

That would be a big bummer, I really liked he wheeled edge on those. Guess you need to MTO them.
post #38573 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

Hey guys, 
below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:


Very nice, those are some casual shoes. Interesting how the distressed leather looks like your CXL. Wonder how they'll wear.

-Mike
post #38574 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post
 

Hey guys, 

below are pics of my latest MTO. I was looking to create a very casual, supremely comfortable shoe for casual weekend wear. These are essentially Leeds with distressed olive leather with a chili welt and harrier rubber sole:

 

 

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:

 

Well done!  I'm generally not a fan of the Harrier sole but it looks just right on that makeup.  How long ago did you order them?

post #38575 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post

 

 

compared to Alden's natty cxl barrie last, just for fun:

 

For my first MTO I've been planning to recreate the alden 9501 using the leeds/gridiron pattern. I'm not well versed in AE's terminology though. Would you have an idea of what AE edging would be most similar? I'd send Allison a picture of the alden, but i'm worried if that's too tacky LOL

 

Leeds

on tone stitching

split reverse storm welt

natural welt, w/ beige stitching?

double leather soles

"toasted" edging? i don't know what name refers to which of their edging colors. i guess if anything natural edging would do.

post #38576 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Very nice, those are some casual shoes. Interesting how the distressed leather looks like your CXL. Wonder how they'll wear.

-Mike

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

Well done!  I'm generally not a fan of the Harrier sole but it looks just right on that makeup.  How long ago did you order them?

Thank you gentlemen! I too am looking forward to seeing how they break in. Unlike the Neumoks, I did opt to have these lined, but off the bat they are amazingly light and comfortable. I ordered them back in mid-Nov; initially I requested no piping, but Allison said they fell apart, so they had to be remade. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyy View Post
 

 

For my first MTO I've been planning to recreate the alden 9501 using the leeds/gridiron pattern. I'm not well versed in AE's terminology though. Would you have an idea of what AE edging would be most similar? I'd send Allison a picture of the alden, but i'm worried if that's too tacky LOL

 

Leeds

on tone stitching

split reverse storm welt

natural welt, w/ beige stitching?

double leather soles

"toasted" edging? i don't know what name refers to which of their edging colors. i guess if anything natural edging would do.

 

FWIW I've definitely sent Allison a picture of Alden's before :) I felt odd, but she didn't seem to mind and is still very friendly and helpful. That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges. Hope that helps! Also, I think AE just calls it "split reverse welt" without the "storm."

post #38577 of 70737

@halfnhalfnhalf FYI, my birthday is in March so if you are itching to help clear shoes from the AE factory/stores, I'll be here :hide: 

post #38578 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subutai View Post
 

 

 

Thank you gentlemen! I too am looking forward to seeing how they break in. Unlike the Neumoks, I did opt to have these lined, but off the bat they are amazingly light and comfortable. I ordered them back in mid-Nov; initially I requested no piping, but Allison said they fell apart, so they had to be remade.

 

 

FWIW I've definitely sent Allison a picture of Alden's before :) I felt odd, but she didn't seem to mind and is still very friendly and helpful. That said, "toasted" or "chili" edge is the same and seems to be closest to Alden's "antique" edge. I, and others here, use AE's chili edge dressing on Alden's antiqued edges. Hope that helps! Also, I think AE just calls it "split reverse welt" without the "storm."

I use Neutral on the antique edge, so I don't darken it at all.

post #38579 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinsay View Post

I ordered a pair of burgundy shell daltons during this most recent seconds sale, but I'm not sure if the defect is acceptable. There is a significant defect in the shell itself, and I wanted to get your opinions on the severity of the issue. On the right boot, along the upper outer eyelets and along some of the mouth, there is a rough and scaly patch that is very distinct from the rest of the shell. It seems almost as though the finish of the shell is breaking down. The upper is much more flexible there as well compared to the rest of the boot. I am concerned whether this will affect the longevity of the boot, given the location of the defect is in a high stress area, with additional friction from the laces. Picture attached. Thanks for the input. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This looks similar to what happens to shell when it drys out.
post #38580 of 70737

Blue Chukkamoks on a dreary day . . .

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...