Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 4:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2522post #37816 of 707372/1/14 at 5:10pmpost #37817 of 707372/1/14 at 5:13pmQuote:
I believe they'll be included in the closeout 2 for 250 sale at the end of feb. I might score a pair if that's the case.
Damn, BB doesn't have them made in my size. I should get disability benefits for being tall.
Edited by evilWagon - 2/1/14 at 5:28pmpost #37818 of 707372/1/14 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by NWTeal
I'm not quite sure why people try to take off the AE finish. It is certainly a bit duller than Alden shells out of the box, but you get get a nice shine on them with brushing and saphir cordovan cream (or renovateur/VSC). I've seen people take the finish off using renovateur or renomat. Either way, I've seen my shells develop a nice glow/shine with cordovan cream, brushing and wear.
It depends... When I first get a new pair of AE shell I always use the Mac method on them but use Renovateur first on black, brown or burgundy shell. If a LOT of cream starts to come off I will continue with Reno treatment to strip them down. Renovateur is a pretty aggressive stripper of the cream, I try to use very little on my walnut and cappuccino because of that. But it is very hard to get a good shine on cream be it shell or calf. Most of the time the Mac method will be enough for AE shell especially over time.
However once in awhile I have ended up with a pair that is saturated with cream and covers up the beauty of the shell underneath. My burgundy shell Dundee's were a prime example, after doing the Mac method on them I could just start to see the black highlights underneath. They were so covered in cream I couldn't really see the black highlights but after several treatments with Reno and the Mac method the true beauty of the real shell came out.
About an hour ago I received an email from my favorite AE SA asking if I wanted a pair of burgundy shell Dalton's for $299. Guess I'm predictable at this point LOL, but I already have enough wingtip boots. I asked her if there might be a pair of MacNeils in burgundy shell and she said yes one pair showed up but was going to check to see if they were still really available. I might finally get those burgundy shell gunboats and I'm as excited as when I got my first pair of AE shoes.post #37819 of 707372/1/14 at 5:32pmpost #37820 of 707372/1/14 at 5:40pmQuote:
Dundee seems to only be in shell. I'm sure you could do a MTO for the dundee in calf, for the $365 that calf shoes normally go for. The price seems to be decided by the material of the upper. You could also get a pair of RL saunders 2nds for less than $520.post #37821 of 707372/1/14 at 5:47pmQuote:
Also note, that the saunders and dundee are on different lasts, which will give the boot a bit of a different feel. As well as the dundee being a 3-eyelet chukka, and the saunders being a 2-eyelet chukka. Just something to consider.post #37822 of 707372/1/14 at 5:51pmpost #37823 of 707372/1/14 at 6:00pmpost #37824 of 707372/1/14 at 6:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by hoit1981
So my "dark brown" Dundee's arrived today. They seem nice, but are currently really quite purple (see the poor quality photo below). Will this color fade, or is there a way for me to bring out more of the brown shade? This is my 1st pair of AE cordovan and I just want to get an idea of what to expect.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
So I picked up some Dundees a few months ago:
I was unhappy with the huge amount of cream and the general dullness of the shell. I tried renovateur, but it just couldn't get the cream off. I ended up using renomat and getting it all off. It's taken a lot of brushing and renvoateur to combat dryness, but I'm happier with how they look now. Here's a pic in fading light:post #37825 of 707372/1/14 at 6:08pmQuote:Quote:
Thank you for the insights. The different lasts just complicate things a little bit more.
I will look into the MTO program. Patience is not one of my virtues.post #37826 of 707372/1/14 at 6:10pmpost #37827 of 707372/1/14 at 7:52pmpost #37828 of 707372/1/14 at 7:59pmQuote:
I had contacted Allison a few months ago for a similar mto. She didn't give me a quote because the cxl was unavailable to her until the stock make ups using those leathers were released, and she was unsure how to quote it since there are 3 different black hills with 3 different prices. I'm very interested in a cxl ptb so I'd be interested if anyone places a similar order! After seeing Alden's natty cxl ptb, I may switch to the natural cxl with a natural welt et al.post #37829 of 707372/1/14 at 8:14pmQuote:
I have amassed 28 pairs in about 1 1/2 years. That is quite insane...post #37830 of 707372/1/14 at 8:20pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Is Paris the most beautiful city in the world? 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › Reigning Champ Heavyweight Fleece sz M 4 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Whiskey Shell Jumper Boot 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...