or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 2516  

post #37726 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

I'm thinking ahead to warmer months as I look out of my office window to dreary, January weather here in St. Louis.

 

With that said, I'm thinking of a good summer MTO and I know that I've had my eyes on a pair of Rancour & Co. beefroll penny loafers in chromexcel.  I then remembered that AE makes the Kenwood which, as far as I can tell, is nearly the exact same thing.

 

 

I'm thinking of an unlined Kenwood in either natural chromexcel or brown chromexcel with a natural sole/welt. 

 

Does anyone know how the Kenwoods fit? TTS or is there a need to size down? 

I set up a credit union account through the company I work for.  Every time I get paid, a small percentage is deposited in that account.  I have been using that money, never seen by my wife, to build my collection. 

post #37727 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSamurai View Post

The real issue is that I'm getting married in May, and beginning tomorrow the fiancee and I are fully integrating our finances. I've already reserved the brown shell Jeffersons from the 2nds sale, but I'm afraid those will be the last purchase for a looooong time.  

Gentleman with more experience....I call upon you to share your wisdom as to how one navigates this arrangement going forward. 
Wife and I earn the same salary to within a tenth of a percent. After evenly-divided retirement savings and health insurance costs, our paychecks direct deposit about 75% of themselves into a joint account for living expenses and meals out together and travel and savings, and -- here's the important part -- the remaining 25% is ours each to do with whatever we will with no questions asked or guilt trips laid down.

She wants to drive to work instead of riding public transportation and spend over twice as much in parking and gas? That's cool. I want to buy burgundy shell tassel loafers next week? That's cool too.

Best part: since I started buying AEs, she's purchased several pair of Frye boots. It's nice for me to see her buying quality stuff instead of DSW crap.
post #37728 of 70737

Anyone experience problems wearing speed hooks with hemmed trousers?

post #37729 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

Anyone experience problems wearing speed hooks with hemmed trousers?


Yep....my Bayfields have snagged on the hem of some wool dress pants to the point of tearing the hem. 

post #37730 of 70737

Question regarding the Rothsay - are they suitable for spring/summer weather?  Living in south florida and looking for some casual chukkas or light street boots.  I can't tell by the pictures if these are thick winter boots or not.

 

all help will be appreciated thanks!

post #37731 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post


Yep....my Bayfields have snagged on the hem of some wool dress pants to the point of tearing the hem. 
This happens to me as well, with other boots (haven't worn my Bayfields with nice trousers yet). I usually stick to cotton -- chinos, corduroys, and jeans -- when using speed hook'd boots. The speed hooks on the Bayfields seem much more rounded and averse to snagging than those on my other boots... but I'll probably avoid tempting fate.
post #37732 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 

I'm thinking ahead to warmer months as I look out of my office window to dreary, January weather here in St. Louis.

 

With that said, I'm thinking of a good summer MTO and I know that I've had my eyes on a pair of Rancour & Co. beefroll penny loafers in chromexcel.  I then remembered that AE makes the Kenwood which, as far as I can tell, is nearly the exact same thing.

 

 

I'm thinking of an unlined Kenwood in either natural chromexcel or brown chromexcel with a natural sole/welt. 

 

Does anyone know how the Kenwoods fit? TTS or is there a need to size down? 

 

I went with an 8D for my Kenwoods and they work great so far, that is my number 5 last sizing (so half size down). I measure between and 8-8.5 on the Brannock. They seem to work well sockless but I have only worn them a handful of times so cannot speak on if stretch may lead to needing a different size.

 

 

 

I really would love a natural or golden brown CXL Leeds MTO for the spring.

post #37733 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICaniac View Post
 

I made the AE leap after 18 years of marriage.  I tested the limits with 5 pairs (+ a nice pair of Red Wings) during year 19.  I too sense that the 5th pair will be the last pair for a looooong time.  The key for me was buying shoes that demonstrably belonged in an adult's wardrobe and making the above-derided argument about saving money in the long run.  Once these MTOs come in, I will likely excuse myself from this forum for several years and unsubscribe from AE's mailing list.  Beyond that, I will echo the old advice to buy all of your toys before you tie the knot.

 

I feel like I might be falling into the same situation and needing to distance myself from the forum. Bought my whole shoe collection in the past year including 5 pairs of AE, a few pairs from OSB and my latest purchase which were RL Cordovan Lindrick boots. My wife has been understanding, kind of hoping the phase would pass lol but she is kind of feeling like it is excessive considering the prices of the various shoes and honestly I might be leaning that way too (I go weeks without enjoying certain shoes because the rotation is growing). That being said I still have some pairs on my wish list so will likely try and polish off what I want and then head into the shadows for a while.

 

CXL Plain toe blucher (Leeds MTO or Alden)

Cordovan Plain toe blucher (Possibly the Alden Leffot Dover on preorder right now)

Brown Cordovan Strand (was really hoping for a pair in the seconds sale)

Alden No 8 Leffot Tanker boot (This is a far wish, not an immediate want as I have a well rounded boot collection so far)

 

 

 

Though I was eyeing the Burgundy Cordovan Leeds and Dalton that I saw on the seconds list that was sent, for $299 a pair it might be hard to pass up. 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdoctor View Post
 

I set up a credit union account through the company I work for.  Every time I get paid, a small percentage is deposited in that account.  I have been using that money, never seen by my wife, to build my collection. 

 

What do you say when the shoe rack has more items? My wife has a keen eye for new items in the closet haha

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Wife and I earn the same salary to within a tenth of a percent. After evenly-divided retirement savings and health insurance costs, our paychecks direct deposit about 75% of themselves into a joint account for living expenses and meals out together and travel and savings, and -- here's the important part -- the remaining 25% is ours each to do with whatever we will with no questions asked or guilt trips laid down.

She wants to drive to work instead of riding public transportation and spend over twice as much in parking and gas? That's cool. I want to buy burgundy shell tassel loafers next week? That's cool too.

Best part: since I started buying AEs, she's purchased several pair of Frye boots. It's nice for me to see her buying quality stuff instead of DSW crap.

 

 

This is a couple that knows whats up, I like this setup.

post #37734 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKruger View Post

I've been lurking this thread for a little bit and would like to buy my first pair of Allen Edmonds. That being said, I'm a university student on a relatively tight budget and would like some help in accessing their upcoming "factory seconds sale". Also, I live in Canada and would like to know if it's possible or even economical for me to order them from the sale.

Where in Canada? What you want to know?
post #37735 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP Shoe Guy View Post

I have emailed twice in the past 2 days, and have not got a list yet. I am sure they are swamped. A couple of weeks ago I did get a list from Vincenzo right after they announced the February Shell sale, but there wasn't much on there I was interested in. So I am hoping a new list will have a couple of new additions...

 



what size? i have the 9.0d list.
You can pre order. I usually ask for a list well ahead of a sale

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #37736 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Wife and I earn the same salary to within a tenth of a percent. After evenly-divided retirement savings and health insurance costs, our paychecks direct deposit about 75% of themselves into a joint account for living expenses and meals out together and travel and savings, and -- here's the important part -- the remaining 25% is ours each to do with whatever we will with no questions asked or guilt trips laid down.

She wants to drive to work instead of riding public transportation and spend over twice as much in parking and gas? That's cool. I want to buy burgundy shell tassel loafers next week? That's cool too.

Best part: since I started buying AEs, she's purchased several pair of Frye boots. It's nice for me to see her buying quality stuff instead of DSW crap.

This has been mentioned by a few sources I've read as the MOST effective way for dual-income marriages to have their finances arranged.  It honestly is the best thing dual income couples could do, especially allowing each their own piece without said guilt.

 

Now on my hand.. Our family is working just on my income so we can't do that ballin' shit ;)

post #37737 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
 


Yep....my Bayfields have snagged on the hem of some wool dress pants to the point of tearing the hem. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


This happens to me as well, with other boots (haven't worn my Bayfields with nice trousers yet). I usually stick to cotton -- chinos, corduroys, and jeans -- when using speed hook'd boots. The speed hooks on the Bayfields seem much more rounded and averse to snagging than those on my other boots... but I'll probably avoid tempting fate.

 

Thanks.  I might pass on the speed hooks, then.  I am hoping to make my Shaker Heights look similar to a long shanked version of this:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

 

This is a couple that knows whats up, I like this setup.

 

I like it too--especially the part where the wife makes within 10% of what I make.

post #37738 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post


Where in Canada? What you want to know?

 

I go to school in Waterloo, but live in Toronto. Just want to know how to get into that "factory seconds sale" and what the shipping, customs, etc... fees would be.

post #37739 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKruger View Post

I go to school in Waterloo, but live in Toronto. Just want to know how to get into that "factory seconds sale" and what the shipping, customs, etc... fees would be.

Shoe Factory-Second Price Sale Price % Savings
Randolph $ 289.00 $ 144.50 -50%
Park Ave $ 289.00 $ 199.00 -31%
Strand $ 289.00 $ 199.00 -31%
Nashua $ 149.00 $ 99.00 -34%
Franciscan $ 289.00 $ 144.50 -50%
Walden $ 199.00 $ 129.00 -35%
Vernon $ 289.00 $ 144.50 -50%

additional options for email blasts
Parkway $ 289.00 $ 144.50 -50%
LaSalle $ 234.00 $ 149.00 -36%
Neumok $ 219.00 $ 149.00 -32%
Black Hills $ 234.00 $ 149.00 -36%
Mayfair $ 289.00 $ 144.50 -50%
Keniworth $ 234.00 $ 149.00 -36%
Flatiron $ 289.00 $ 199.00 -31%
Doubleday $ 149.00 $ 99.00 -34%
Jack golf $ 149.00 $ 99.00 -34%
#DIV/0!

Cordovan $499 $299 -40%
independence $389 $229 -40%



After the Feb Sale the calendar looks like this:

Feb 18 – 26 – Everyday Values (reg price)
Feb 27 – Mar 2 – 2 for $250 closeouts
Mar 3 – 16 – Soles 4 Souls

http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/upload/PDF/ShippingRateChart.pdf

I've read on RFD (another forum) that they didn't get charged brokerage fees. Shipping will be 40 bucks because I bought the strands. Or take a trip to the US?

I know shipping sucks to Canada but what can you do. To get the factory seconds you need to email shoebank@allenedmonds.com and tell them what model, color and size you are seeking. They will reply if they have it or not.
post #37740 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKruger View Post
 

 

I go to school in Waterloo, but live in Toronto. Just want to know how to get into that "factory seconds sale" and what the shipping, customs, etc... fees would be.

 

Well since I just got off the phone with them I and have ordered before I will help.

 

Call them up and let them know what you are interested in purchasing (I just got a pair of Burgundy Cordovan Leeds)

Shipping to Canada is $45, they will FedEx them.

Consider the exchange rate as it is quite high right now. The $299 pair I just bought will likely run me around $400 once all said and done because of this and the shipping.

FedEx has sent me a bill in the mail after delivery each time before, usually another $25 or so unfortunately. 

 

 

All in all I have had nothing but good experiences with factory seconds but for the Canadians it is good to know all the info as to not be surprised by some of the extra costs involved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Also, curse whichever one of you bought the 8.5D Cordovan Daltons haha. I had my eye on those, you probably saved me from a redundant purchase anyways since I own the RL Lindrick wingtip cordovan boot already. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...