or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 252  

post #3766 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post

that looks like a defect to me, but won't hurt tho.

And at least it is the same on both shoes. It would bother me if that was only the case on one shoe.
post #3767 of 70737

Couple of quick pictures of my recent shell acquisitions. Purchased the Leeds yesterday at the Freeport store for the low, low promotional price and the 1st quality Macneil were purchased last month during the first round of shell discount, which was $100 more than this month's promotion. I'm pleased with both.

 

A note on sizing. The #7 last on the Macneil is a bit narrower so I had to size up a 1/2 size from my brannock measurement to a 11.5D. The #1 lasted Leeds is much roomier in the toe box. That additional room coupled with the blucher lacing allowed me to go TTS at 11D. For reference, my blucher Kenilworth in #5 last is also a 11D. Bluchers work better with my high instep/high volume foot.

 

DSC_0724.jpg

 

Image above in direct sunlight. Images below in shade (both conditions are accurate).

 

DSC_0726.jpg

 

DSC_0730.jpg

 

Macneil worn about a dozen times and a coat of Saphir Renovateur applied in addition to hours of brushing. The leeds had some sort of slightly tacky black substance on the toe. Renovateur took that off. I just wore them outside for a few minutes today (after ensuring they fit well) to scuff the sole a bit.

 

That is IT! No more shoe purchases in the foreseeable future...I don't care how good the sale is biggrin.gif.


Edited by patrick_b - 3/23/12 at 10:12am
post #3768 of 70737
I was amazed at how different the color of my burgundy Leeds is in the sun vs shade or indoor lighting.
post #3769 of 70737

Patrick, love the pics!  Those MacNeils look very well kept - As you probably found out, once the "bloom" stops, they are easy to keep clean and looking good.  (the hours of brushing diminishes in my experience).  Enjoy those shells! 

post #3770 of 70737
Strand 001
New Brown Cordovan Strand (with flash)

Strand 004
AE Brown vs. Alden Cigar (no flash)

Strand 005
AE Brown vs. Alden Cigar (medium flash)
post #3771 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

Couple of quick pictures of my recent shell acquisitions. Purchased the Leeds yesterday at the Freeport store for the low, low promotional price and the 1st quality Macneil were purchased last month during the first round of shell discount, which was $100 more than this month's promotion. I'm pleased with both.

A note on sizing. The #7 last on the Macneil is a bit narrower so I had to size up from by brannock size to a 11.5D. The #1 lasted Leeds is much roomier in the toe box. That additional room coupled with the blucher lacing allowed me to go TTS at 11D. For reference, my blucher Kenilworth in #5 last is also a 11D. Bluchers work better with my high instep/high volume foot.

So from this you would say the 7 last is narrower than the 5 last?
post #3772 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post

I was amazed at how different the color of my burgundy Leeds is in the sun vs shade or indoor lighting.


Very true. In looking at my images above, both conditions are fairly accurate but the sun brings out the red/maroon. In shade or indoors, they seem much more brown.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

Patrick, love the pics!  Those MacNeils look very well kept - As you probably found out, once the "bloom" stops, they are easy to keep clean and looking good.  (the hours of brushing diminishes in my experience).  Enjoy those shells! 


Thanks bucksfan. You are right about the blooming, the Leeds don't seem to have much but they haven't really been worn either. The Macneil's blooming went away after a couple of wears and then the brushing really brought out the luster from the shell itself and the waxes and oils.

 

post #3773 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post
Strand 005
AE Brown vs. Alden Cigar (medium flash)


Wow those kick serious ass!

 

Of Alden's shell colors (aside from #8), I always thought cigar was the most versatile. I liked the others but couldn't see myself buying anything other than cigar. That said, the brown AE shell is fantastically close to cigar. I love it! I'm sure you'll enjoy those. Thanks for the comparison shots, that's extremely helpful.

post #3774 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


So from this you would say the 7 last is narrower than the 5 last?


Good question. I think the #5 is still narrower (narrowest perhaps?) but also longer. The #7's narrow spot caused the snugness right at my little toe, while the #5's started to narrow just forward of the widest part of my foot. Therefore I could go TTS. Hope that makes sense. My feet are a PIA as the right is almost a half size longer than the left and slightly wide and have a high instep.

post #3775 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

Strand 001
New Brown Cordovan Strand (with flash)
Strand 004
AE Brown vs. Alden Cigar (no flash)
Strand 005
AE Brown vs. Alden Cigar (medium flash)

those strands are outstanding
post #3776 of 70737
Those Cordovan Strands are gorgeous!

To stray from the Shell conversation for just a minute I could use some advice. My birthday is this weekend and I'm thinking of treating myself to a more casual pair of AEs. I do NOT have any suede shoes and I would love a pair - however I also really like the Neumok.

So the question:

Go for Neumok or Player? If I pick Neumok, what do we all think of the snuff suede option (it seems the stitching is lighter than the snuff version of the Player). If I go Neumok and go with Calf what color? I was thinking I like the Olive. However, I think the real question is if I'm going to go with suede should I do the Player or the Neumok?

Thanks!
post #3777 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post



Wow those kick serious ass!

Of Alden's shell colors (aside from #8), I always thought cigar was the most versatile. I liked the others but couldn't see myself buying anything other than cigar. That said, the brown AE shell is fantastically close to cigar. I love it! I'm sure you'll enjoy those. Thanks for the comparison shots, that's extremely helpful.

Although both colors are very similar, I have to admit that my Alden Cigar boots have a glossier finish. Maybe my Strands are just new but I will see how they compare after I get some mileage on the Strands. Overall I'm very happy with them and waiting on the burgundy Cambridge. At this rate I might have to end up and pick some Leeds next week!
post #3778 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC View Post

Those Cordovan Strands are gorgeous!
To stray from the Shell conversation for just a minute I could use some advice. My birthday is this weekend and I'm thinking of treating myself to a more casual pair of AEs. I do NOT have any suede shoes and I would love a pair - however I also really like the Neumok.
So the question:
Go for Neumok or Player? If I pick Neumok, what do we all think of the snuff suede option (it seems the stitching is lighter than the snuff version of the Player). If I go Neumok and go with Calf what color? I was thinking I like the Olive. However, I think the real question is if I'm going to go with suede should I do the Player or the Neumok?
Thanks!

I say Player, but they are so different. I know you said casual. The Neumok is really rustic looking. The Player to me looks so much cooler and more versatile. You could wear them casually, but also wear them out to dinner and bars and such and look good.
post #3779 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC View Post
...However, I think the real question is if I'm going to go with suede should I do the Player or the Neumok?
Thanks!


 

That's an excellent question and one I've considered as well. I think the suede version of the Players and Neumok are both fine choices but I like the blucher Players a bit more than the balmoral Neumok. It's just personal preference but since it's a casual warm weather shoe, I always thought a suede blucher would be a perfect spring/summer shoe, more so than a bal but that's just one man's opinion. I also think the colored laces are a nice touch. Incidentally, Edward, Freeport Store Mgr was wearing the snuff suede Players yesterday when I got the Leeds. He even had some nice red laces. I thought it was a great looking shoe and with the 80 degree weather we've had for the last couple of weeks, I was tempted. I haven't seen the Neumok in person however, so that could be a factor to consider. Neither's a bad choice, that's for sure. I've been seeing lots of Navy suede around the forum lately and the Players is available in navy. That may look nice.

 

Edited to add:

 

Happy Birthday! Mine's next month...I'm quickly approaching middle age...42 is middle aged, isn't it? I think I am in fact middle aged now.  peepwall[1].gif

 

 

post #3780 of 70737

The Neumok and Players Shoe are both good choices.  Go with the one that fits better.  The #2 last on the Players Shoe is narrower in the toe box.  This may or may not be a problem. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...